Assistance - Portable, no budget, driven by an iPhone 4. Click here to find out more
Sep 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Cythriell

New Head-Fier
It seems you guys are pretty into your audio equipment so I thought out of all the places I could think off this would be the best place to ask.
smily_headphones1.gif

Basically I'm looking for the best portable headphones I can get for my iPhone 4. I mostly listen to techno, house, rap, electronic/alternative rock, well, I listen to a lot so it might be better to list a few of my most listened to bands as of recentley.

Daft Punk
Celldweller
Pendulum
Eminem
Gorillaz
Rob Dougan
Gym Class Heroes
Fatboy Slim
Nine Inch Nails
Jamiroquai
Coldplay
etc

I'm not sure how varied the above list is but I thought any information might be useful in choosing the best headphones. I'd like them to be over ear, and noise cancelling.

I plan to use them mostly for commuting so I wouldn't like them to have a terrible amount of noise escaping.

XD am I being too specific?

Also, how are the HD 448s? A friend lent them to me and they seem decent but they can get uncomfortable after prolonged use.

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 10
do a little research, i think some in-ear monitors would work out well- soundearphone and headroom have a 30 day return periods, if you don't like them you can just send them back- both companies have excellent customer service.  i just bought a pair of earsonics sm3, i am in absolute love with them, sound good with everything
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Definitely get some Klipsch S4 to start out.  Once you get more serious about the hobby then you can look into more expensive ones since you will probably not be able to pick out all of the differences just yet between ~$100 IEMs and >$300 IEMs.  The S4s are a very good starting pair...especially for the music you listen to

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
grado sr60s are pretty fantastic.

I don't think grado sr60s are good at either noise isolation or cancelling.

Senn hd25s will be a better bet at containing the noise whilst providing good portable sound.
Best bet is to read the multiple portable headphones review in the forums and giving those that match your requirements an audition.

Hope this helped =)

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I don't think grado sr60s are good at either noise isolation or cancelling.
      -i guess i forgot what he was asking
smily_headphones1.gif

Senn hd25s will be a better bet at containing the noise whilst providing good portable sound.
Best bet is to read the multiple portable headphones review in the forums and giving those that match your requirements an audition.

-totally agree on the hd25s.

Hope this helped =)

guess i forgot what he was asking 
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; max-width: 100%; " title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

i agree, the hd25s have great isolation.

" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; max-width: 100%; " title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the replies guys :)

I have been and will keep on going through reviews of portable headsets

The Sennheiser HD25 IIs are more expensive than the HD 448, are the better even though I'm guessing the drivers are smaller?

Reason I ask is because I have been using 448's for a long time and don't want to swap for something that will sound worse or the same.

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 10
the hd25s hurt my head (i have a big one) they sound good, but not great. soundstage is ridiculously small. however, the isolation was incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back