Assistance in Choosing. Sony MDR-7520 or Z1000 ?
Jan 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 28
Anymore thoughts on the z1000/7520 v the 1r guys?

Are the first phones definitely identical in sound? Nope! Trying to find out which if either would be closest to the 1R.

Are they good enough at isolating to travel on the tube with?

Thanks.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:
I'm considering if the new MDR-1R would be better now...

Not according to HiFiGuy528 who has both the MDR-1R and 7520 (and come to that, everything else as well!). I think the 1R's are designed to appeal the more 'consumer', 'street beats' crowd.

You might find this of interest. It seems that the Z1000 and 7520 are not sonically identical. http://www.head-fi.org/t/644542/sony-mdr-z1000-and-sony-mdr-7520-essentially-identical

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #18 of 28
^ You might find it useful to read the ntire thread before you reply. :p

Quote:
Are they good enough at isolating to travel on the tube with?

It depends, If you like to keep the SPL relatively quiet (say 60-70 db) i'd rather go with IEMs or a pair of cans with a truly superb seal, like the Beyerdynamic DT1350 (nearing -20bdB). If not i recokon they'd do a fine job keeping the ambient noise away.

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #20 of 28
I'm sorry, Obviously misread you post there. 
redface.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #22 of 28
Nooooo! The Z1000s were available on Play.com here in the UK for £128 6 days ago. I missed them, and they've gone now as the stock was limited. Probably because the Z1000s (and now 7520) have been discontinued.

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #24 of 28
I was told this by a dealer here in the Uk when I asked about the difference between them and the Z1000. The chap said both models were discontinued. However, it wasn't obvious whether he meant Sony were stopping making them, or simply because of "new EU regulation" meaning they cannot be imported from Japan. He also informed me that because of the non-importing they would become scarce in the EU.

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:
I was told this by a dealer here in the Uk when I asked about the difference between them and the Z1000. The chap said both models were discontinued. However, it wasn't obvious whether he meant Sony were stopping making them, or simply because of "new EU regulation" meaning they cannot be imported from Japan. He also informed me that because of the non-importing they would become scarce in the EU.

Strange. I've just ordered some 7520's through a dealer in the UK and they had to get them in from Sony for me. They mentioned nothing about them being discontinued, but, as I'm a musician, they did pass this piece of info on to me:-

'By the way, our rep asked me to pass this on to you. Not sure if you like Pink Floyd, but apparently, David Gilmour purchased 5 pairs of these lovely cans for his studio. :)'

I think it's highly unlikely that Sony have discontinued them as they were only introduced within the last couple of years, and they are held in very high regard by professionals. Obviously Gilmour likes them anyway!

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
Strange. I've just ordered some 7520's through a dealer in the UK and they had to get them in from Sony for me. They mentioned nothing about them being discontinued, but, as I'm a musician, they did pass this piece of info on to me:-

'By the way, our rep asked me to pass this on to you. Not sure if you like Pink Floyd, but apparently, David Gilmour purchased 5 pairs of these lovely cans for his studio. :)'

I think it's highly unlikely that Sony have discontinued them as they were only introduced within the last couple of years, and they are held in very high regard by professionals. Obviously Gilmour likes them anyway!

All of their European sites now have them listed as discontinued, with the 7510 being the top model offered now.

As the 7510 is still being offered, it seems strange that it would be due to a change in some European regulation stopping them from being imported.

I am very happy with my MDR-7520 though. Had them a couple of months now (felt like it was longer than that) and I'm still happy with how they sound, and have not found them uncomfortable to wear over time. Other headphones that initially felt comfortable, have started to get uncomfortable for me after a month or so of use, so that's a good sign.

I'm also glad that I went with the 7520 rather than the Z1000 now that it seems the consensus is that while they may look the same, they sound quite different.

But if I had seen the Z1000 for £128 at Play.com, I would still have snapped up a pair immediately.

The only reason I came back here was to ask about whether it would be possible to add an in-line iPod remote to them by swapping out the cable for portable use, and if anyone had done that with their Z1000/7520 as they just use 3.5mm jacks - this just came up in a search. Very disappointing news.

Seems like anyone that had an interest in them should be quick about it before remaining stock runs out, unless there's word of a new replacement. But Sony has had to cut a number of higher-end products recently due to their continuing financial troubles, so they may just not have been selling well enough.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:
 But Sony has had to cut a number of higher-end products recently due to their continuing financial troubles, so they may just not have been selling well enough.

It seems you're right about them being discontinued. How strange, and disappointing.  I suspect you may also be right about the reasons though. The 7520's were quite a bit more expensive than any other studio hp - that I know of anyway, so they probably weren't selling well.  But as one reviewer said, they may be rather more expensive than other studio hp's, but they're also a lot better!

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #28 of 28
It seems that they're still available in the US however:- http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-headphones/product-MDR7520/

So not disscontuned, but for some reason not available in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back