Assistance in Choosing. Sony MDR-7520 or Z1000 ?
Sep 15, 2012 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Kerraine

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody.

Hailing from Singapore with my first post in Head-Fi here.

I'm gonna type this short and neat if you guys don't mind...

Previous headphones: Shure SRH-440
Current headphones: Sony MDR-7505
Preferences: Leaning towards neutral (Especially for future field recordings)
My kinda' music: Ska, Bossa Nova, Country Rock
Source: iPod Classic running AIFF files

I would like to hear more on this pair of headphones as they're not brought into Singapore, thus, unable to audition them.
Will upgrade cables to Toxic Cables if the headphones are any good.

Future plans: ALO RX Mk III and CLAS combo possibly
(That is if I can audition them as well.)

Though I might say I'm pretty happy with the Sony sound...
Do recommend me closed-back headphones that you think I should try !

Thanks.

Kerraine

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 28
Do a forum search for the sony z1000. I think they may be the same phones as the 7520. Not totally sure though. You might look into the GMP 8.35 as well. BTW, just wondering....what's a 'toxic cable'? 

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:
Do a forum search for the sony z1000. I think they may be the same phones as the 7520. Not totally sure though. You might look into the GMP 8.35 as well. BTW, just wondering....what's a 'toxic cable'? 

http://toxic-cables.co.uk

I've tested the Z1000 recently.
It's not too bad.

Looks like you could be right.
They seem similar.

Didn't like the soundstage of the German Maestro headphones though.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 28
So I've tried the Z1000 and it sounds pretty decent.
It seems more expensive in Singapore than if I were to get the MDR-7520 online from B&H (United States).

Saving some bucks is always better for the wallet if both are really the same.
Anybody able to comment on the 7520 ?
I do like that it's totally black...

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 28
hope this helps.

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
These headphones are revealing enough to hear the amp's sound signature. A good amp gives the bass more control.

Thanks dude !
I guess I'll go for the MDR-7520 soon...

If you've tried it with CyberLabs AlgoRhythm Solo and ALO RX Mk III, let me know what is your impression !
It'd be good information.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 28
Hi HiFiGuy528,
I watched your video and read this Headfonia article on the Z1000: http://www.headfonia.com/first-impression-sony-z1000/

The article basically says the Z1000 is, sound quality-wise, an improved ATH-M50.  I've been looking for an efficient, closed headphone that works well with lots of types of music.  An all-arounder.  I've been trying the M50's and while I really like them, I find the mids/vocals a bit too recessed.
Have you also found the Z1000 to have a similar sound signature to the M50's but with improved mids as was found in the Headfonia review?

Also, I see the Z1000 is discontinued.  Do you still feel the Z1000 and 7520's have an identical sound signature?  If so, I might give the 7520 a try.

Thanks!

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 28
Just got the z1000s, love them. A TAD light on the bass but I'm starting to see that's how the music is meant to sound, so it's a natural bass. If I'm listening to a song with a double bass, its going to have some punch, bass kicks also have a nice push to them. The difference is that there's no boominess, which is how its meant to be heard IMO. You can hear the rattle of the bass string on the wood, the z1000 are about detail as much as they are about musicality. Mids are great too, I'm normally a v-shaped kind of guy and these have higher mids than I'm used to but they do such an amazing job at it that I'm fine with it (and maybe that's why I normally hate mids, most lower end headphones have trouble resolving them without being harsh). Treble wise, they're flawless. 

I'm happy with them. They passed my EQ test with flying colors (subjective test where I poke around and see if raising a certain band improves the sound, the worst of headphones benefit greatly from it, the best headphones hardly benefit at all from any EQ'ing and in some cases becomes worse). The only reason to get anything else in my opinion is if its open and/or can produce better sound staging or has a unique sound signature.

Also, I apologize but I literally bought the LAST z1000 from Adorama...

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #13 of 28
Hi guys,

I'm also in the market for a pair of detailed closed cans and the Z1000/7520 are in my shortlist.  Was also considering the Shure srh940's but the build quality has made me reconsider.  Any more thoughts on these cans?  The mdr-1r's look nice too, hopefully some reviews will come soon.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 28
It might be but it will be November until then lol. The z1000 is a perfect balance between musicality and critical listening, by the description the 1r might go in the musical/colored direction. Definitely looks exciting though and it's tempting to preorder. If its anything like the z1k it will be a killer in closed headphones under 400.00.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 28
Just tried out the MDR-1Rs at Sony Centre. Nice - slick design, closed-back which works reasonably well, all plastic except for the metal inner headband, *very comfortable*, detachable cable, angled drivers, made in Thailand. Priced at $358.20 from the distributors, so don't pay more than that. I have an AKG K550 (and the rest of what you can see from my sig) and it isn't audibly superior to the K550 from that short demo of FLACs from my Galaxy S3 unamped (deliberate). As you probably know already, advice on headphones is what it is - personal preference. Give it a good demo on familiar material/source. I liked them, but I have too many headphones already (that won't have any traction on Head-Fi)!

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back