Assistance choosing open phones AD900X/DT880/990/Q701/MA900
Dec 31, 2013 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

exSpire

Head-Fier
Hey

I'll try to keep this short so just let me know if I'm missing any details.

Budget is $200-$250
Music is top priority but will also be used for movies. Genres? Hell, anything and everything, my tastes are far and wide.
I'm coming from the AD700 and I absolutely adore them, I love the clarity and I love the soundstage. I can't say that I care all that much about bass and either way I'll be buying a pair of closed phones in the future so that's pretty much covered.

I'm also going to purchase a DAC\AMP, separately or a combo, and the budget for the two would be around $200. (I'm aware of the AD900X not needing any amping whatsoever)

I've heard good and bad things about all of the above phones, especially good things about the AD900X and bad things about the DT990, however I'm open for all ideas and opinions.

P.S. The DT880 and DT990 would be the Pro 250 Ohm versions.
Also, in case you want to recommend the AD900X, would you still do so knowing I still own the AD700?

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 23
I had the Q701 and the DT-990. If you aren't really into bass, I'd definitely recommend the Q701 over the DT-990. The Q701 has a simply gigantic soundstage and the mids especially but also the highs are more natural. The bass on the Q701 is adequate -- it goes very deep but doesn't have an impressive impact. At least on most source material. You can certainly find some songs where it will rock your socks off. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 23
  I had the Q701 and the DT-990. If you aren't really into bass, I'd definitely recommend the Q701 over the DT-990. The Q701 has a simply gigantic soundstage and the mids especially but also the highs are more natural. The bass on the Q701 is adequate -- it goes very deep but doesn't have an impressive impact. At least on most source material. You can certainly find some songs where it will rock your socks off. 

Thanks for your comment. At the moment I'm leaning towards the AD900X / DT880 Pro 250 Ohm / Q701.
(Having the AD700 I'm kind of deterred from getting the AD900X but I was told that they're worth it)

I'm going to be buying a DAC+AMP (combo or separately) and I wonder if you could make a recommendation? It would most likely be one of the above headphones. I should also mention that I'm planning to replace my SRH840 with another closed-back headphones (possibly a set that would require amping as well {maybe DT770}) so I'd prefer a device that would suit both options. I don't want to limit myself, at least not by much.

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 23
I used both the Q701 and DT-990 (250 ohm) on a Cmoy amp from JDS Labs (the two-battery model). That's the only entry-level amp I can personally vouch for -- it had plenty of power for either. The Q701 definitely needed more travel on the volume knob than the Beyers though. You could pair it up with an inexpensive DAC like the HifimeDIY Sabre U2. Stoner Acoustics also makes some very inexpensive DACs. 

I have a friend who uses one of the Fiio models (I think E07K or E10 but not really sure) on the DT-990 250 ohm. Fiio is very popular around here and I suggest looking into their various DAC/ amp combo models. I wouldn't worry about having enough power for the DT-880 Pro, that should be fine, but if you end up getting the Q701, be sure to search the forums to check and see if people are happily using your desired Fiio model with the Q701. It's a bit harder to drive. 

For more money, you could look into some desktop equipment like the Schiit Modi and Magni. Bravo also makes tube amps for under $100. Also, the Aune T1 is a popular desktop DAC/ amp combo unit in the $150 range. Be aware that while the Aune has a tube on top, you don't hear the tube at all unless you use the Aune as a DAC only, connected to a separate amp. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #7 of 23
I was told that the Audinst HUD-MX2 would fit me nicely. What do you think?

I read here and there about reliability issues with the Aune T1 and I didn't want to take any chances (no representation of Aune in my country so it'll be rough if warranty was ever needed).

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 23
I haven't heard the Audinst, but I remember considering it before I bought the Cmoy. I ended up getting the Cmoy and pairing it with a somewhat nicer DAC (HRT Music Streamer II). It really depends on how much you want to spend and how much you care about the portability and convenience of a one-box solution. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 23
At that price, I would personally get a Schiit Modi and Magni instead, because the Schiits are very popular and well-regarded. Or for a little bit more, the JDS O2 and ODAC, which have a huge fan base. But I don't really know because I haven't heard any of it. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 23
  Budget is $200-$250
Music is top priority but will also be used for movies. Genres? Hell, anything and everything, my tastes are far and wide.
I'm also going to purchase a DAC\AMP, separately or a combo, and the budget for the two would be around $200. (I'm aware of the AD900X not needing any amping whatsoever) I've heard good and bad things about all of the above phones, especially good things about the AD900X and bad things about the DT990, however I'm open for all ideas and opinions.
P.S. The DT880 and DT990 would be the Pro 250 Ohm versions.
Also, in case you want to recommend the AD900X, would you still do so knowing I still own the AD700?

Buy the ATH-AD900Xs, sell off the ATH-AD700.
Maybe get the FiiO E10, should have a better DAC chip then the laptop and the E10's low impedance headphone amplifier should help a little in audio detail, over the laptop's more "crude" amplification.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #14 of 23
  It's a dekstop, not a laptop.

The E10 is pretty cheap, would it equal the Audinst HUD-MX2 / O2+ODAC / Magni+Modi ?

Oops, desktop, ok.
Then get the Asus Xonar DG sound card, $27,
along with the ATH-AD900X headphones

The Xonar DG may not be technically as good as the those externals you have listed, but it save you $200.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 23
Thanks for the effort but the DT880 Pro 250 Ohm and the Q701 require amplification. That's not helping me. Besides, I want a good DAC as an upgrade from my onboard sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back