ASL MG Head DT/OTL MKIII Tube Rolling Experience
Mar 4, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 101
The ASL is a terrific amp, especially for the money. I can't imagine it disappointing anyone. Sure, there are better, but you have to pay a LOT of money to get only a little better sound than the ASL.

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #18 of 101
Rob - I hope you'd have tried the Raytheon 5751 (along with the Amperex el84 [trendy Bugleboy apellation or not]) in your ASL. It's a combo I personally prefer over the all Bugleboy setup.

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 101
Those "windmill getter" Raytheon 5751's are too rich for my blood
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #20 of 101
Actually that is what I have (JAN 5751 windmill getter). They truly made a world of difference from all I had tried.
Not too expensive at all for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #21 of 101
The only 5751 that I've tried is a JAN Philips. Probably my third favorite thus far, behind to the bugle boys and Siemens.

I have a pair of RCA 5751's that I picked up for my CDP. I'll have to throw one in and see how it does.

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #22 of 101
To repeat: RAYTHEON JAN 5751 with windmill getter, and matched Amperex EL84 (Bugleboys....or not) with D getters.

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #23 of 101
The Raytheon windmill getter 5751's seem to go for more than $100 per matched pair, used. The Jan Phillips can be had NOS for $35 per pair. I actually use RCA Command 5751's now and RCA 6BQ5's, which are awesome, but that's in the Ming Da - I sold the ASL a few months back.

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #25 of 101
whoa you two - you only use one Raytheon 5751, which is replacing the single stock 12ax7 - why are you talking pairs, or matched pairs of these? Actually (didn't want to mention it) but I bought a pair for $57 that tested beautifully. This means I have a spare for .......whenever. Pls be better shoppers
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #26 of 101
I actually have a windmill getter, amongst quite a few others, on the way from my recent trade....so, rolling will be "on" here real soon.

BushGuy...The only ones I found for sale when you and SkyLab brought them up was a matched pair at $200.00.

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #28 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whoa you two - you only use one Raytheon 5751, which is replacing the single stock 12ax7 - why are you talking pairs, or matched pairs of these? Actually (didn't want to mention it) but I bought a pair for $57 that tested beautifully. This means I have a spare for .......whenever. Pls be better shoppers
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, I was thinking about my Ming-Da, which uses a pair of 12AX7/5751
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #29 of 101
I just got off the phone with my father and boy do I feel dumb.....It seems that 12AU7 and 12AX7 tubes have the exact pin layout, it's only a matter of gain that separates them.

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #30 of 101
Okay, so today I ended up with my first Telefunken. Now, I was very skeptical about the tube. Mainly because I've seen a good deal of hype, so I wasn't expecting too much.

First things first, a good deal of the hype concerning these old school Tele's is well deserved. This is a very satisfying tube, for me atleast.

What you really notice is such a thick, syrupy sound....now this was present before hand, but the Telefunken really, and I mean really, removed the music from it's flow of cheap Mrs. Buttersworth, and placed it right in the thick of the finest and thickest maple syrup. Absolutely beautiful, well, if you like that sort of thing.

The midrange was brought out front, very out front. Slow and warm. Vocals just hung in the air, decaying with such realism. The bass seemed to lose a bit a tightness, but thickened. It was much better bass, although a bit uncontrolled, but that just aided in its sense of, my favorite word with this tube, realism. The highs, oh yeah, crisp and clean, but a tiny bit rolled off pushing the upper frequencies in their range.

Very nice tube.

Is it worth its price?

Oh yeah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back