asking about frequency response
Sep 21, 2020 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

samer1990

New Head-Fier
hi head fi group

i want to ask about IEM frequency response , in my FH7 they said that the freq response from 5hz to 40 khz
because when i see the data sheet of Konwles SWFK-31736 witch is for high frequncys they said it can give me up to 7.6 khz frequency response
i am confused about that , how they said from 5-40 khz and the BA SWFK-31736 can give up to 7.6 khz
is this frequency response of cross over circuit or SWFK-31736 BA frequency sound
see image below
التقاط.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 6
5 to 40 khz is a marketing ploy, most humans can only hear 20 hz - 20khz. Even then with age and deproving hearing health, most can probably hear only to 14 to 16 khz unless u are very young.

Anyway I'm not sure if there's much significant musical information around 18 to 20 khz for our music. So don't worry too much about their 5 to 40 khz claims, only bats and dolphins can verify that (maybe unless u have some specialized equipment on hand).

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 6
Frequency response without +/- db variation is totally meaningless. Also 40khz is the high freq threshold to be verified as high res capable by the Japanese audio society but only if you pay license fees. So everyone wants to try hard and even lie about reaching 40khz.

It's up to you if you see value in such frequency extension. Can you hear it? Does it makes any difference?

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 6
As said by others, you should simply disregard the absurd frequency range for dolphins that are given by some brands without any other information. They present it like that because they know most consumers will misunderstand in a way that's flattering for them. AKA marketing.

Regarding the frequency response of one BA driver like the one you showed, it doesn't tell much about the actual response of the complete IEM. There are electric and acoustic ways to boost(reasonably) some high frequencies, if that's really what they want to do. Plus this graph stops at 10kHz so we don't know for sure what the driver does above that limit.

I'm not sure what you mean about crossover chip and input FR, but this is probably not what they reference as 5Hz-40kHz in their specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back