Asking a manufacturer to produce High-end cans. Would you pay for advanced? How much?
Oct 31, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #106 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, how are we going to come to a consensus as to what kind of headphone we would want? I wouldn't advance a dime for a dynamic headphone, for instance, but isodynamic, electrostatic, or piezo/ribbon would certainly get my investment.

Good point!
I am primarily interested in an electrostatic headphone, but are somewhat open to dynamic ones as well (the AKG K1000 as an example).

Perhaps its time to create a new poll, with more specific options?

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #107 of 130
I would hate to see this idea die out. Yes, it's true that some people who said yes originally will now say no. Yes, it's true that some that said yes would only do so for certain cans.

But it's also true that some who would not advance funds originally will now. It's also true that some people who did not participate in the poll or thread discussion will pony up for new cans ..... both in adance as well as after produced.

100-150 is not a large number, but we are NOT the headphone community ... there are many in other forums who don't participate in HF as well as the stereophonic community that are the in the market for high end cans, not to mention specific markets (and countries) that a high end can would appeal to. The real question is what would it take to get a manufacturer interested?

And yes, before we can move forward we need a definite manufacturer to talk to ... whether for a retired can or for an entirely new can.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #109 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is this not a sticky?

Because there are still many issues/concerns to hammer out before this idea even becomes anywhere near realistic. In addition the economy has taken taken a fairly significant hit since this thread which further hinders such an idea from going forward.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #110 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
76 people would advance some money to have new HE cans developed. Other 67 are interested but wouldn't advance any money, although they might purchase them once made. This makes for a total of 143 people interested somewhat in new HE cans.

Would this be enough to contact a manufacturer? Which one?

If theres going to be a real get together for this sort of thing, a new high end headphone, for the purposes of such a limited buy, my vote would be to go to RAAL and persuade them that there is a market for a pure ribbon headphone.

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #111 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If theres going to be a real get together for this sort of thing, a new high end headphone, for the purposes of such a limited buy, my vote would be to go to RAAL and persuade them that there is a market for a pure ribbon headphone.

That would be great if it wouldn't need any special amplifier or costly adapter, which shouldn't be the case considering that nowadays some manufacturers are producing ribbon tweeters of sensitivities above 100dB/w/m.

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #112 of 130
It'd be a tricky load for an amp but not any worse than your O2s, H2s or K1Ks. And at the level we are talking about here buyers are going to have quality amplification already in place.

Hell maybe someone should put Magnepan on to the idea. If they can sell that MMG for $550 they should be able to do a headphone for a sane price.

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #113 of 130
Reality check here. I've not read the entire thread (just page one) so this may have come up by now. Anyway, here's my reaction...

John Grado is a multi millionaire who is (at least by comparison to the average member of Head-Fi) rolling in money. For years, he has made an amp that costs him less than $30 in parts and labor that he sells for hundreds of dollars. No doubt the same can be said about most, if not all, of the headphones made by Grado. The wood used to make the RS-1 isn't exactly expensive, nor are the semi skilled young employees who turn the wood and assemble the parts.

Note that I'm not picking on John Grado, but actually just using him as an example, because of all of the headphone companies, Grado would be the most likely to "need" funds advanced to them before taking on a project such as is being described here. Even the smallest company on the totem pole doesn't need advanced funding. What about Beyer, or Audio Technica, or AKG, or (imagine) Sony! These companies are (or at least should be) extremely well funded. If they can't manage to front the costs of a high end headphone product that they would know in advance has a wide and receptive audience, then they ought to get into another line of business.

If we were talking about some guy working out of his garage, that would be another story. But look at He Audio, which to the best of my understanding is a one man operation (or at least the brains behind it all belong to one man). Mr. He has developed an outstanding pair of electrostatic headphones that are priced quite reasonably, and I suspect that he has spent considerable personal resources (both time and money) and taken considerable risk in doing so. To the extent that Mr. He's product (He Audio Jade) is a winner - and I sure think it is and hope the market will too - then he ought to be rewarded for both his innovation and the price/performance that he's been able to deliver. Yet, if the Jade did not happen to work out so well for him, then he would unfortunately have to suffer whatever financial consequences came as a result. That's the nature of business.

So when it works out (as it has for Grado Labs and I hope it will too for He Audio), then those individuals who took the risks, and put up their own money and hard work, richly deserve all of the financial rewards that follow. If they can deliver great sounding and well finished products and still manage to keep their costs down, then all the more power to them! But at the same time, I don't think that individual customers (no matter how hungry they might be for a certain product) should be asked to pre-fund the cost of developing that product. Of course, if it's a custom made product that is tailored to the individual customer's needs, that's a different story. In those cases (such as Singlepower amps), I've been willing to pay in advance because I know that I'll be happy with the end result.

I think there are plenty of great products to choose from and don't see the need (in any way, shape or form) to fund the adventures that successful businesses ought to be funding themselves. They should be thankful to us for presenting the ideas and showing support for the high end products that they, themselves, ought to be motivated to be creating in any event!

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #114 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because there are still many issues/concerns to hammer out before this idea even becomes anywhere near realistic. In addition the economy has taken taken a fairly significant hit since this thread which further hinders such an idea from going forward.

So there isn't enough request for something new/improved(or at least putting back in production of some legendary models) in high-end segment? Based on the for sale forums and ebay i doubt it. I'm recommended this for a sticky for one simple reason: I'm a long time head-fi reader and recently become a member(and proud of it
cool.gif
) and yet discovered this thread only today. Maybe if more people have seen it and gave they're suggestions it could become something more than......this so far. I'm a student so not "rich" but i would be happy to save and contribute 1500/2000$(instead of buying some old used cans for much more) if nececary for a headphone project and eventually possesing the one and only peace of audio gear that exist partly thanks to me.

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #116 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by john5220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will never spend more than $200 US on a headphone.

I rather go for a vacation in Hawaii than spend $2000 on any headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is where we disagree - we have a time share and instead of $1000 for 5 tickets to Orlando my wife has spent $4000 on plane tickets to hawaii for this Xmas, and it's killing me...

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #117 of 130
ticket from London to USA is like $700 USD.

If was just me and someone I am sure it would cost nothing more than $2000 US to travel to Hawaii and pay for hotel fees and stuff.

Then again I could be wrong considering the current situation.

I really need to head Hawaii one day I am tired of these small Ass waves in the Caribbean. Hawaii and Tahiti is the 2 best places for surfing.

But I got an Acre of Land here I waiting for it to value a lot of money then I am gonna sell it and buy a beach house home here.

Takes to long to go to the beach about more than an hour from where I live and I live in the center of the Island. Only bad thing is sea breeze damages your car I noticed. But still aint nothing like a Coconut tree filled beach even if the waves are kinda small.
Plus weather here is always Forever Summer!!!
Never gets cold always burning like hell all you need is an AC.
smily_headphones1.gif
But your electric bill will be hot to
frown.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #118 of 130
Wayne, excellent post I must say.
smile.gif

I have no doubt Grado, AKG, Sennheiser, Stax, Sony, Audio-Technica, ... have more than enough funds to develop a new state-of-the-art headphone, or revive one of their out-of-production headphones, without needed us to pay upfront.
The problem (if I should say so) are to someway convince them that there are a market for such a headphone. Cause besides Stax all the mentioned vendors have stopped producing High-End headphones to focus on the mid-fi instead..

There are a demand for High-End headphones here at Head-Fi, and I am sure outside this community as well. I for one would like a brand new K1000, HP1000, R10, Qualia 010, ... While others would like a HE90, HE60, PS1, L3000, ...

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #119 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wayne, excellent post I must say.
smile.gif

I have no doubt Grado, AKG, Sennheiser, Stax, Sony, Audio-Technica, ... have more than enough funds to develop a new state-of-the-art headphone, or revive one of their out-of-production headphones, without needed us to pay upfront.
The problem (if I should say so) are to someway convince them that there are a market for such a headphone. Cause besides Stax all the mentioned vendors have stopped producing High-End headphones to focus on the mid-fi instead..

There are a demand for High-End headphones here at Head-Fi, and I am sure outside this community as well. I for one would like a brand new K1000, HP1000, R10, Qualia 010, ... While others would like a HE90, HE60, PS1, L3000, ...

Yep, that was the only intention of this poll, as suggested on the thread at the High End forum. There someone suggested approaching a manufacturer (Grado) to produce some new high-end cans. My take is that there's not as much interested people in this forum as to make such idea profitable. However it could be more interesting to the manufacturer if he sees people willing to pay, and how much they'd be willing to pay. That's all.

Looking at the poll results I don't think there's a potential market enough for new high-end cans in the USD1500-3000 range to convince a manufacturer to invest on it. Would they do it if people advanced the money?. Who knows, but I'm with Wayne here, any serious manufacturer willing to produce some state of the art product, would do it just for the sake of doing it and investing their own funds.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #120 of 130
If Audio Technica made 500 pairs of limited edition L3000 pricing them 2800$ without having the certancy that they sell at all i'm sure that they would do the same or similar with 500 preorders for even less money and they would get even more publicity. And 500 is nothing compared to how many people own ultra high-end cans here or searching for them. And that's only one example. Correct me if i'm wrong but this IS the biggest and more respected headphones forum on the net right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back