[ask] Is the AKG K240 Sextett still desirable?
Jun 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bigheadhifi

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I came across a pretty nice deal on a pair of sextett and am thinking of actually purchase them. I read some great reviews of these, the problem is, most of those reviews are old and quite possibly no longer relevant.. so now at this moment of time (dramatic,lol) is it still a good headphones? or are there headphones that can better them at what it does best?

I found a deal on them for <$100-ish... are they worthy of that price?

and oh, any impression about the soundstage? I'm considering to buy these and ad700 to listen to movie musical score...which one will be better?

thanks guys!

Jun 14, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 11
not really much if youre comparing the soundstage of an ad700. because the k240 variants are all semi-open/vented.

Jun 14, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
not really much if youre comparing the soundstage of an ad700. because the k240 variants are all semi-open/vented.

so let's not compare it to ad700..

how is the soundstage on the sextett?, cause i've been getting some mixed impressions from different threads and people. some say it has great soundstage, some said that it lacks three dimensionality, some said it wont play well with crossfeeds etc.

Jun 14, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 11
I have the K240 monitor 600-ohm, which I assume is close to the Sextett.
I thought it gave a very uncolored sound.

Jun 14, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 11
While their soundstage will not blow you away I'd still take a Sextett over the AD700 anyday. The Sextetts do image well and sound more natural than the AD700 with a heftier lower midrange and bottom end.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 11
You'd be crazy to not buy a Sextett for under $100
normal_smile%20.gif

Of course I think if you didn't have a good amp I wouldn't bother. I guess a receiver can do fine too.

The Sextett has one of the best soundstages i've heard, but it's not super huge, but very accurate. Imaging is almost as good as it gets and even has the Q701 and maybe K601 beat in this area.

I don't find the Sextett uncolored. It does seem to have quite forward upper mids. It has a very engaging sound. I can't imagine someone falling asleep while listening to this thing.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 11
If truth be told, you can say that about under 200.00 or even under 300.00. Depending on condition of the driver, they are that good. Since they are 30 year old headphones, it can be hit or miss. With that said, if they are around 100.00 then it's a no brainier. The sound stage isn't as wide as the ad700, but it's deeper and the imaging is also much better. I would take a good pair of sextets over most midfi cans. They aren't as popular as they once were because of the flux of 1000.00+ cans over the last few years, but they still beat down the likes of the k701 and such. IMO of course.

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 11
I have a Fostex T50rp slightly modified.. if I decide to go with sextett do you think it will complement the t50rp or will it be a similar sounding headphone?

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 11
I just found out that the sextett that I'm eyeing has a little volume imbalance but already fixed with tissues and papers in the housing.. I dont know if it still worth getting know..

what do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back