[Ask] Best Portable Source, Beside iMod and HM-801..?
May 20, 2010 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

iPhone4G

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys, I was thinking to buy a portable sources..
Since iMod and HM-801 is too expensive for me.. I want to search another Portable player
Okay,
Background:
I love Rock music, R&B and Pop.
My current portable source gear is iPod Touch 3rd Gen.
I want to use it with Westone 3.

And What is the Best portable sources gear prices under USD$ 450..?
I've been thinking I'll buy A sansa or cowon player, but I dont know the Sound quality of it. And I dont know what type should I buy
I want a portable sources that support FLAC, even I have to rockbox it.

Anybody got suggestion what should I buy..?

May 20, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 18
I haven't heard it, but everyone seems to love the s:flo2. Having heard the Fuze, I would recommend it as a good, inexpensive DAP. I think it's better SQ than my other iPods, sound just seems less veiled. I haven't rockboxed yet, but I will and expect it to make a noticeable difference.

All that said, however, I don't expect it to match the SQ of the s:flo2, but the UI and ease of use make it a perfectly functional DAP, with better than average sound. I think rockboxed +amped, I'll be even happier with it. Honestly, for $60, I can't imagine a better deal (except maybe the Clip+ at $50)

May 20, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
I haven't heard it, but everyone seems to love the s:flo2. Having heard the Fuze, I would recommend it as a good, inexpensive DAP. I think it's better SQ than my other iPods, sound just seems less veiled. I haven't rockboxed yet, but I will and expect it to make a noticeable difference.

All that said, however, I don't expect it to match the SQ of the s:flo2, but the UI and ease of use make it a perfectly functional DAP, with better than average sound. I think rockboxed +amped, I'll be even happier with it. Honestly, for $60, I can't imagine a better deal (except maybe the Clip+ at $50)

I have the Clip+ and T51(sflo2) and the T51 beats the Clip+ in terms of sheer SQ. I still keep the clip because I use it when I'm just listening to music at school or I want to bring my music with me in the car. The clip is very detailed just like the s:flo2, but amped (so we eliminate the whole power benefit that the T51 has), the T51 just has a wider soundstage and the music has more weight to it. 

I like both players but the T51 gets a LOT of usage at home and on trips. 

May 20, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 18
Oh, I'm not disagreeing at all. I'd love to get one, but the Fuze is just easier to use for me, and for a portable, it's a great sounding player. It just seems really difficult to update the firmware constantly, so I'm sort of waiting for a really stable, easy-to-use firmware version. Right now, I'll be getting a Mini3 to pair with the Fuze, and I think that'll be a solid portable rig. 

May 20, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 18
Check out the studio I, it seems to be the most plausible solution so far. :) - there's really no new on them but the size and "promises" seem to make it a decent solution. Can't vouch for it, but I'm trying to buy one and then I'll post impressions :D
But unfortunately, I fall under the category of I need to spend more than "X" amt. on a DAP before I will even consider it decent, fail. If the S:Flo2 was $500, then I'd be much more interested :D - go placebooooo! :)

May 21, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
I have the Clip+ and T51(sflo2) and the T51 beats the Clip+ in terms of sheer SQ. I still keep the clip because I use it when I'm just listening to music at school or I want to bring my music with me in the car. The clip is very detailed just like the s:flo2, but amped (so we eliminate the whole power benefit that the T51 has), the T51 just has a wider soundstage and the music has more weight to it. 

I like both players but the T51 gets a LOT of usage at home and on trips. 

Hmm sflo2, is pretty good.. Any suggestion what amps should I buy for it use it with my westone 3..?

May 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 18
I would love to get an H-801/Sflo, but not before the Rockbox team have hand their way with it. As a rule, sound tweaking on portables suck, and there are too many settings I'm not willing to give up.

I have a Rockboxed Fuze, and I'm settled with it. I consider amping/Rockboxing an iMod sometimes, but then I pay my bills, and the mood passes.

May 22, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #12 of 18
I think he meant something he could easily get his hands on though, the iRiver h100 is discontinued, so he'd have to look for used ones on FS forums or something. But if he doesn't mind, then yeah, he'd probably do best with a DAP that has an optical out, there are limited options though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back