ASIO4All Explanation
Jul 15, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #421 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's really an odd problem. I've never experienced it before. I've had skipping audio when the buffer was too low, but never skipping before starting a song. Because of that it's kinda hard for me to help you with it.

Either way, what do you mean by 'the asio resampling process'? ASIO isn't resampling anything unless you've got the AC97 troubleshooting options on. You can turn this off in the menu of ASIO4All. This menu might have changed a bit over the years, but it still has pretty much the same options.

all the ac97 options are unchecked...but when i listen to music, and the asio icon appears on the system tray, it says: "samples 44.100 hz 2048" so i thought it might be resampling automatically.
If it doesn't do resampling or any kind of sampling...than why is it always reloading itself with every song i switch? (you can see the icon disappears and coming back again...and that slows the process down and makes the popping noises).

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #422 of 479
mines doesn't skip at the beginning of the song, it skips when the song is playing. but its not that big of a problem since it's less than a second and happens every once in a while but does get a little annoying.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #423 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another idea i thought of that might help...is there any way that i can disable the asio resampling process? I don't need that anyway because my dac already do this.

You can change the resampling option from Asio4all control panel. It's either 48khz or 44,1khz. I never checked the 48khz upsampling when I used Asio4all.

Thread priority option for foobar2000 (0.9.6.8):

Preferences --> Advanced --> Playback --> Thread priority

Try to make it higher.

Could it be that your laptop just isn't powerful enough to play the files with Asio4all? I don't believe so. ASIO takes much more power than DS or Wave.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #424 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can change the resampling option from Asio4all control panel. It's either 48khz or 44,1khz. I never checked the 48khz upsampling when I used Asio4all.

Thread priority option for foobar2000 (0.9.6.8):

Preferences --> Advanced --> Playback --> Thread priority

Try to make it higher.

Could it be that your laptop just isn't powerful enough to play the files with Asio4all? I don't believe so. ASIO takes much more power than DS or Wave.

I checked, and the thread priority on foobar is the highest possible. I also set the thread priority in the windows task manager to high.
by the way, i use a desktop pc and not laptop. my pc is pretty powerful (intel quad 2.4 and 2 GB ram) so this is not an issue either.

Oh man...i am so bummed by that. everything is perfect except that popping noise when moving between songs. I checked and it is not the usb cable either.
thanks for the help anyway. If you have more suggestions you are more than welcome to post them becasue i am out of ideas.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #425 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked, and the thread priority on foobar is the highest possible. I also set the thread priority in the windows task manager to high.
by the way, i use a desktop pc and not laptop. my pc is pretty powerful (intel quad 2.4 and 2 GB ram) so this is not an issue either.

Oh man...i am so bummed by that. everything is perfect except that popping noise when moving between songs. I checked and it is not the usb cable either.
thanks for the help anyway. If you have more suggestions you are more than welcome to post them becasue i am out of ideas.

You have probably already reinstalled the drivers many times. Remember to also delete all previous audio drivers completely and check BIOS if there's some audio settings (disable onboard audio).

Did you try those usb-audio drivers I linked earlier?

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #426 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have probably already reinstalled the drivers many times. Remember to also delete all previous audio drivers completely and check BIOS if there's some audio settings (disable onboard audio).

Did you try those usb-audio drivers I linked earlier?

first of all thanks for all the help. if you are refering to the usb audio driver, than i don't want to pay for it so i didn't see a point in trying it.

would you recommend to delete and than reinstall the asio driver again?

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #427 of 479
I'm currently using a USB DAC for all my audio; Internet Explorer, PowerDVD and Foobar for music.

If I install ASIO4ALL, will I still get sound when using Internet Explorer etc? Or is it one or the other?

Cheers

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #428 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickdanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently using a USB DAC for all my audio; Internet Explorer, PowerDVD and Foobar for music.

If I install ASIO4ALL, will I still get sound when using Internet Explorer etc? Or is it one or the other?

Cheers

you can set it both ways. if you want to hear all windows applications through your dac just set your dac to be the windows' default sound device.
and if you want it to be only for music (foobar)than keep your onboard soundcard as the default and set the dac onlt in asio settings,like i did.

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #429 of 479
Thanks, although if mean if I install the ASIO driver and leave the DAC as a windows default sound device, will it still work with all windows applications? (I have no other sound device) Or maybe this question is not relevant.

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #431 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickdanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, although if mean if I install the ASIO driver and leave the DAC as a windows default sound device, will it still work with all windows applications? (I have no other sound device) Or maybe this question is not relevant.

yes,you will be able to hear all windows applications through your dac.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi plonter

I just read your dropout problems. Just to confirm that this is only happening with ASIO4ALL? DirectSound is fine? You have mapped your device (left and right) in ASIO4ALL?

yes...with directsound the tracks are going smooth and much more faster than with the asio. with the DS it's only the foobar working... no asio to load itself over and over again.
I have mapped one channel to the right and the other to the left.

although..in the "asio virtual devices aditor" , the "device channe"l column is empty. (instead of: usb dac or something like that...)

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #434 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There should definitely be a device or two there (onboard audio and usb dac)...Device-Format-Mapping....You map left and right on the device you are using and the others "none".

I'm assuming you're using XP?

What version of Foobar?

xp indeed,and foobar version 0.9.6.8 with the latest asio plugin.

I can't copy and paste the foobar device editor so i will describe it to you like this: (hope you can understand)
if you go: file> preferences> output> asio virtual devices> and than you choose the ASIO4ALL V2 and click EDIT it looks like this:

DEVICE CHANNEL FORMAT MAPPING

32-bit left

32-bit right

I don't know if these settings are related to the problem,but please tell me if this is the way it should look like. there is nothing under "device channel"
is it ok?

EDIT:nevermind the description...it came out wrong in the post. the point is that there is no description under device channel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back