ASIO4All Explanation
May 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #466 of 479
clean up the *.inf files in your windows dir...yes, that ploytec thingie is completely worthless...it crashed one of my machines badly several times at the installation w/ an M-Audio Audiophile USB
evil_smiley.gif

you can also specify the driver manually as not being PNP, click on "have disk"

May 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #467 of 479
Yeah it won't uninstall. The Dacmagic works fine on my laptop but I can't get the old drivers back on my PC. Which inf files is it

Phew got it working again.

Not sure what I did but maybe it was deleting some of the inf files (some wouldn't let me) also went to device manager and clicked uninstall and checked delete software.

That usb-audio driver sucks, they tried to keep it on my PC so I had to buy it!!

May 3, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #468 of 479
/windows/inf/oem*.inf

open them all, delete those that say ploytec, then wipe the matching .pnf files too

but you can also go the "have disk" way, it will disable the PNP detection.

May 4, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #470 of 479
i got asio4all working at 32/192 finally. i had to regedit and disable the soundcards control gui. then i had to remap the output since there was none. i am sticking with ks though. with out the control panel i can only have sound from a asio enabled app. ks is working great. i find dumping 32/192 into the dac1 toslink provides better sound than bit perfect. it's just for radio which sounds pretty bad anyways.

i just got a kimber ag mini since i did not think i would find a small enough toslink cable to go through the floor. now i just wasted another few hundred bucks. oh well. no, i don't sell stuff i bought for less money sorry.

music_man

May 4, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #471 of 479
ploytec usb-audio has crashed my computer many times during installation. Over a year ago mbd2884 (now banned and posts deleted) brought it up in the old compass thread and everyone who tried it liked it better than asio4all, but some people's computers had major issues installing.

May 5, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #472 of 479
i am assuming it only works with usb devices?

i'll add, the wolfson in the chaintech is not very short of the dac1. of course i am playing 128kbps radio. so i might not be able to really judge that.

music_man

May 22, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #473 of 479
Sorry for the late reply, didn't subscribe, but yes, usb-audio asio only works with usb. Asio4all still sounds great though, and it doesn't crash your computer during installation :wink:.

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #475 of 479
I have a question about bit perfect. I listen at work and was using kernel streaming and I used Wasapi at home with foobar 1.7 and mostly flac files. I was listening to the National, and everything just sounded awful. It hissed about as loud and evenly with the lyrics, and anything that went low did the same. So I bought a behringer A202, and had the same problem. I figured then that KS, and WASAPI must be the problem and so I tried ASIO4ALL. It sounds just like it should now. No hiss, or noise, or at least not enough to notice, and definitely not enough to ruin the sound. So I'm wondering why do KS and WASAPI leave hiss and ASIO4ALL don't. I thought they all bypassed the Windows mixer, offering bit perfect audio. Is this common, and why would that happen?

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #476 of 479

Quote:
I have a question about bit perfect. I listen at work and was using kernel streaming and I used Wasapi at home with foobar 1.7 and mostly flac files. I was listening to the National, and everything just sounded awful. It hissed about as loud and evenly with the lyrics, and anything that went low did the same. So I bought a behringer A202, and had the same problem. I figured then that KS, and WASAPI must be the problem and so I tried ASIO4ALL. It sounds just like it should now. No hiss, or noise, or at least not enough to notice, and definitely not enough to ruin the sound. So I'm wondering why do KS and WASAPI leave hiss and ASIO4ALL don't. I thought they all bypassed the Windows mixer, offering bit perfect audio. Is this common, and why would that happen?

There are devices that have compatibility issues with WASAPI, having distorted sound after some time, and Kernel Streaming was never a long term solution, as it is the output method with the most issues.

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #478 of 479
Hey guys. I've been using ASIO for some time now (currently running ASIO4ALL v2.11 Beta2) and I love it. It does sound better than going through the Windows sound mixer (although not a huge difference) and I've gotten into the habit of always using ASIO when I'm listening to music. I have the HRT MS2 and MS2+ USB DACs as well as an iBasso D-Zero.

I just upgraded from an Nvidia GTX 470 to a GTX 770 and I'm getting a lot of dropouts, clicking, and buzzing through both ASIO and WASAPI. It seems to be worse when I'm listening to larger files (24/96 for example). It appears to me that the GTX 770 is introducing too much latency into the system. I've already given away the GTX 470 to a friend but I put an old 8500 GT that I had lying around into the computer and the problem went away and everything worked fine, as it did on the GTX 470. So it appears the GTX 770 is causing too much latency and pretty much ruining my ability to listen to bit-perfect streams because while the static and dropouts are not constant its enough to really bother me.

By the way, I'm using the MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC. When I have the 770 in, LatencyMon shows a higher max execution time for nvlddmkm.sys, the Nvidia driver. With the 8500 GT in it maxed out at about 0.45ms and was the 2nd in the list. With the 770 it maxes out at about 0.7ms and on other occasions has reported well over 2ms and is always at the very top of the list.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has come across something like this? Currently my plan is to order a new GTX 770 today, this time an EVGA branded GTX 770, and hope that that doesn't have the issue but in the back of my mind I can't escape this worry that this is something all of the 700 series struggle with. One of the recommendations I found online for dealing with ASIO/WASAPI/realtime audio dropouts is to disable CPU power management or downclocking so that makes me wonder if Nvidia's new GPU Boost 2.0 is causing the problem (GPU Boost constantly adjusts the GPU frequency based on usage). GPUs tend to not be very different from one manufacturer to the next, at least for the same GPU chip, but the MSI does have a custom PCB and cooler. I'm really hoping a GTX 770 from a different brand won't have the same problem.

Anyway, any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I've tried everything else I can think of so its looking like I'll have to buy a new one and see if the problem goes away and then return the MSI 770 to Amazon. I'll let you guys know if I do that and what happens, in case others run into the same problem.

Thanks

BTW, I'm on Windows 7 SP1 64bit
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R motherboard
Intel i7-920, not currently overclocked
MSI GTX 770 (N770 TF 2GD5/OC)
16 GB RAM

HRT Music Streamer II
HRT Music Streamer II+

The ASIO & WASAPI crackling, buzzing, and dropouts that happen with the GTX 770 happen equally on both the MS2 and MS2+. I haven't tried the D-Zero but I'm assuming it will have the same issues.

Things I've tried so far:

* Updated to the latest BIOS for my motherboard, didn't help.
* I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers. I am going to try an older driver today so I'll let you know.
* I was originally overclocking the card to roughly 1100MHz base clock. Using its original settings makes no difference. BTW, the card has a slight factory overclock of ~ 1080Mhz base.
* Plugged the card into a different PCI-Express slot, didn't help.
* Used a different set of power cables to connect to the card's two 8-pin PCI Express power connections, didn't help.
* Uninstalled MSI Afterburner (overclocking and GPU monitoring app), didn't help.

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #479 of 479
I installed ASIO on my computer and the difference is MASSIVE. The image and sound are MUCH clearer now. I did read about it by accident the luck it was for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back