ASIO.. WASAPI.. confused
May 9, 2009 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

koven

15 Hz + 150 dB = poopy pants
i'd like to further improve the sq of my desktop setup.. can someone explain to me how ASIO and WASAPI works? is one better than another? will it help improve sq?

right now i'm using foobar2000 -> d2 -> rp5g2 w/ 32bit vista premium

May 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 19
wasapi is vista's sound engine, as opposed to asio which is a propietary protocol for interfacing between sound hardware and sound software. the asio4all.com driver package is usually used on xp and can be avoided when using xp.
vista has improved sound quality. i checked and double checked the sound of xp + asio vs. vista + waspai on my main rig, and vista rules big time.

just make sure you set the output device on your foobar to wasapi.

unfortunately, though, this still might not guarantee bit perfect. bit perfect is a rather dodgy issue in home computer and is much harder to achieve than you might imagine.

goodluck.

May 9, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #4 of 19
hmm i downloaded the wasapi plugin for foobar2000 and i set my output to WASAPI: USB DAC

and when i press play.. it's all distorted/staticy .. played with buffer times but it didnt help

any idea what's wrong? it only works under DS: USB DAC

May 9, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 19
I know you said you played with the buffer... but did you try lowering it? This happens to me if the buffer is too high. Try 500ms or so. I ask because I didn't even think of lowering the buffer until I did some googling
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 19
thanks for the link olblueyez but im still getting distortion for some reason, i followed those instructions exactly..

toby_m: i lowered it all the way to 800, 500, 250, still having this issue

any idea what im doing wrong?

May 9, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 19
Hmm. Do you have any other DSP added in foobar? If you go to the properties/advanced tab for your USB device check it is set correctly. I'm not sure if this is bypassed by WASAPI or not but worth a shot I guess. I can't think of anything else, sorry.

==Edit==

Oh actually, do you have SP1 installed? I read somewhere than WASAPI has issues on pre-SP1 Vista.

May 9, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 19
hmm yeah my vista is fully updated

i have no dsp's activated in foobar.. replaygain set to none.. preamp at 0db

i have no idea what's wrong

can anyone please help me diagnose the problem
frown.gif

May 12, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 19
As long as you are using Windows Vista (or 7), you should hear no difference between ASIO, WASAPI, KernalStreaming, and DirectSound. If you are using XP (or an earlier version of Windows), just avoid DirectSound (and use whichever other audio data transfer protocol is most convenient).

The data that all of these send to your audio device driver is identical (except for DirectSound, which makes noticeable changes to the data when using XP). The buffering in that driver makes the protocol irrelevant.

May 18, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 19
I have a problem with ASIO.

I'm using Windows XP -- Asio4All with winamp -- KingRex T20U (USB Dac)

I'm able to play FLAC without any problems,but MP3's won't play...
The player just runs through the track very fast,stuttering all the way (like a glitch).

Any ideas?

May 21, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 19
Anyone?
frown.gif

May 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by matanoosh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wasapi is vista's sound engine, as opposed to asio which is a propietary protocol for interfacing between sound hardware and sound software. the asio4all.com driver package is usually used on xp and can be avoided when using xp.
vista has improved sound quality. i checked and double checked the sound of xp + asio vs. vista + waspai on my main rig, and vista rules big time.

just make sure you set the output device on your foobar to wasapi.

unfortunately, though, this still might not guarantee bit perfect. bit perfect is a rather dodgy issue in home computer and is much harder to achieve than you might imagine.

goodluck.

hmm imo XP has better sound than win7 :| maybe a poll should be in order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back