ASIO.. WASAPI.. confused
May 21, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #16 of 19
I am using Vista 64 and between DirectSound and Kernel Streaming/ASIO/WASAPI I hear a big difference in SQ (even using USB dac)

The 3 last sound exactly same.

If they all sound same, probably you have a native driver with your soundcard acting like ASIO or something like that. On my X-Meridian 7.1 with vista driver, direct sound = direct sound on my old Win XP.

May 22, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using Vista 64 and between DirectSound and Kernel Streaming/ASIO/WASAPI I hear a big difference in SQ (even using USB dac)

Interesting... my experience is exactly the opposite. On a Vista SP1 64-bit laptop, I'm running MediaMonkey using its DirectSound output (out_MMDS.dll) to coax S/PDIF into my IBasso D-10. MM doesn't have a WASAPI output, so I fired up Foobar2000 and installed the latest WASAPI dll (just released this week). I couldn't believe how much better the Foobar/WASAPI output was. Perhaps slightly lower in volume, but noticeably more detail and air. I went back and forth a few times to verify.

May 24, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #19 of 19
I just got true ASIO driver installed via Winamp and Media Monkey and first impression/perception is that there is less of a hyped sound and more black-space/air around things ... more neutral (whatever that means) ... I dunno if it's a better sound tha direct sound or what as I am used to the timbres of D.S. ...
I do get that brief skipping at beginning of a stream when I change streams bookmarked on Winamp ... I suppose I need to change the buffer settings or something ... ?

I think the ASIO sound will translate to better sound on 'phones and through speakers ...I also noticed that I had set a custom EQ on Winamp to correct the sonic problems in this room where my gear is set up .... it was sounding ****ty on my Senn. 650's which I just sold ... duhhh ... newbie lesson learned ... turn all EQ off next time evaluating headphones that you arent familiar with ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back