ASIO on multiple cores
Aug 16, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll agree with setting a higher priority for movies, because I have to use my mobo's integrated graphics so I think VLC needs a bit of a push, otherwise I get stuttering/decreased performance. However, I have set priority on Foobar to high, and there's definitely not a difference.

I like to run foobar in high priority anyway, but it's already got an option in its advanced settings where you can set the audio thread priority...so it's indeed overkill for foobar, but I still like it
biggrin.gif

your player is snappier when it runs in high priority on the 4 cores and the system process in low priority on single cores...very noticeable for me in KMPlayer.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HR is working quite well on win7 only the aero gets disabled.
Windows 7 is really a great OS. I have been using it for past 5-6 months & have had no issues.

well I have to admit that I only tried Vista SP1, and HR was constantly stuttering in 48Hz w/ Reclock...that's w/ Aero enabled, w/o Aero it was worse than XP
frown.gif

Hopefully support for madVR in KMP will make me switch, I crave for HPET accuracy
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #18 of 30
Well like I said, this is not about the load itself (which is relatively low yet can vary with latency), but more about ways to handle it more efficiently and not loose quality in the process (pops, clicks). So if anyone has experimented with different multicore CPU settings and ASIO, preferably under a heavy additional load I would still like to hear their opinions.

@leeperry: I usually like feeding trolls, and what I would feed them is fire and brimstone
smily_headphones1.gif
But now I'm still curious about an answer so try spamming somewhere else
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #19 of 30
If you are using a media/music player such as Foobar etc with ASIO for playback with XP one of the best tweaks is to set priority to background services rather than the normal programe priority in the advanced options, this is because ASIO is a background service.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #20 of 30
Thanks for the suggestion, that is an interesting option. However, on real life daily use, during which the system may be on for (a lot more than) 24h, this might prove counterproductive overall. And of course I would set the player to high priority, but sometimes that might not be enough at (relatively) low latencies and high system loads, so I was looking for more specific tips (such as core affinity or perhaps other advanced process management options).

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see this working, at all.

Many of the optimization guides for studio style recording work recommend exactly that. Set the processor scheduling to "Background services".

Go look at the support and tweak guides from the likes of PreSonus, M-Audio, Digidesign, Tascam, Lexicon, and others. Almost all of them will recommend setting the processor scheduling to "Background services".

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #22 of 30
well actually if you enable "large system cache" in the registry(it's disabled on the "Pro" versions and enabled in the "server" versions), "background services" will be checked in the Windows GUI
confused.gif
..so it prolly does a lot more than what is implied on the end-user side.

but I'm the kind of guy who always runs w/o a pagefile anyway, this is the real performance killer!

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

but I'm the kind of guy who always runs w/o a pagefile anyway, this is the real performance killer!

Yikes! I don't recommend that other people try that unless they happen to really know what's going on. And by knowing what is going on I mean at the SysInternals kind of level. Even if you have plenty of RAM (8GB or more) a minimum pagefile is still needed for NT to be able to reorganize RAM. I forget what the absolute minimum size is needed.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #24 of 30
so far, so good
smily_headphones1.gif

no more pagefile crawling madness...I only use this PC as a HTPC, though...and all I care for is performance.

I got 2 gigs on XP SP3, it's plenty...I only have 16 system processes running when XP boots up, I've disabled all useless services. I can have a 2 months uptime w/o a single glitch, there's far more ppl running pagefile-free that you could imagine
wink.gif

RAM total usage never raises about 600mb anyway, and XP uses the RAM as pagefile internally...it's clearly visible in the task manager.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #25 of 30
I wrote an ASIO engine for a popular player. I can tell you a little of what I know.

The common sense things like not running lots of junk in the background, using large hardware buffers on the card if latency is not critical, etc. are all good advice.

I would recommend against monkeying with the priority of the entire application you're using. This will have the opposite effect that you might expect.

Increasing the process priority promotes all the threads in a process. While this seems reasonable, it's likely that the core ASIO delivery thread is already time critical (the highest priority). So all you'll be able to do is promote the priority of other threads. This makes other less important threads more likely to fight with the core ASIO delivery thread.

The other thing you would want is to make sure that the playback engine you're using is well threaded. ASIO is built around callbacks, and you want to make sure the thread doing the callbacks can service them as quickly as possible. The playback engine I'm most familiar with keeps this in a separate thread for nice parallelization with decoding and other playback tasks.

So a good playback engine that is well threaded will already utilize a multi-core CPU efficiently. For the most part, you can just sit back and enjoy it
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #26 of 30
setting core affinity is a ****ty coding problem that is gone best I can tell.

I have run ASIO from an atom processor to quad core extremes w12gb from XP to Windoze 7 RTM 64b as well as WASAPI in vista32/64/ w7 32/64

None of it has any impact on audio sound if you can properly setup the rig. Ditch the internal sound card BS if you really care about sound quality - too much noise, including laptops.

for overall speed = Set a fixed pagefile size and buy some fast harddrives - I use SAS 15k drives on an adaptec 5805...makes LOL @ retail hard drives, load it with memory to 4gb for 32b, 8+ for 64b. Ditch XP already

W7 32/64b with wasapi is just ezmode setup for audio (vista too)- it works with everything I have tried to plug in. emu/mhdt/ibassos/goofy home theater converters/etc

My main audio rig is an atom with w7 32b -> mhdt havana...this is not the rig for 1080p mkv tho heh. (I might drop a 500gb drive in this and run the bulk of my flacs local - need to trim a little junk music)

I like to game and listen to my music and I dont like to have them fighting over resources - so I dumped the music to a cheap atom netbook so I can game in peace

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #27 of 30
Aug 18, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #28 of 30
opening firefox w/o a pagefile is miles faster.

and again, for games or photoshop it's a no-no! they will cry or crash...but for a HTPC it's totally trouble-free.

I can find you a HTPC building tutorial that actually advises to disable it. there's pros and cons, your choice.

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #29 of 30
Thanks to those that have replied on topic with real information.

@leeperry: This is a discussion about ASIO and optimising CPU operation in relation to it, not the pagefile, Firefox, Photoshop or other random system settings. I thought I told you not to spam this thread anymore.

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

and again, for games or photoshop it's a no-no! they will cry or crash...but for a HTPC it's totally trouble-free.

That's the reason I dug up those two links and for my initial Yikes comment. As long as people are aware of the trade-offs and potential problems. I didn't want people to get the idea that they could/should disable the pagefile willy nilly. If you're optimizing a PC for a specific use, as in an HTPC, then it's something to explore. For a general use PC it is something that you likely should avoid doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back