Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Dec 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #856 of 2,994
Quote:
J-pop and J-rock recordings got so much better in the past few years.  I decided to become an audiophile because of J-Rock. Didn't really respect music that much before that.
Lots of the Anime OP recordings before 2012 have this problem, its gotten much better, but it's still quite bad compared to mainstream J-Rock and J-pop. I really liked the second SAO opening, but the recording was so bad that I thought something went wrong with my HD800. I love Only My Railgun btw, but it just sounds bad with high-end gear. 

hmmm... no wonder...

but I don't know... it is too hard for me to hate fripSide, LiSA, May'n, etc. despite the relatively sibilant recordings...

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #858 of 2,994
Quote:
hmm regarding the brightness of KPop, IMO it is less bright than JPop

All of this "brightness" talk has got me curious. Can someone provide examples of how X is "brighter" than Y?

I use Stereophile's definition of brightness, so I'm curious to hear if there's actually a tendency for music to be "brighter"
Quote:
bright, brilliant The most often misused terms in audio, these describe the degree to which reproduced sound has a hard, crisp edge to it. Brightness relates to the energy content in the 4kHz-8kHz band. It is not related to output in the extreme-high-frequency range. All live sound has brightness; it is a problem only when it is excessive.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #859 of 2,994
Quote:
J-pop and J-rock recordings got so much better in the past few years.  I decided to become an audiophile because of J-Rock. Didn't really respect music that much before that.
Lots of the Anime OP recordings before 2012 have this problem, its gotten much better, but it's still quite bad compared to mainstream J-Rock and J-pop. I really liked the second SAO opening, but the recording was so bad that I thought something went wrong with my HD800. I love Only My Railgun btw, but it just sounds bad with high-end gear. 

The few songs I've heard by AKB48 have had some of the worst general sound mixing I've ever heard. I mean, I understand mixing becomes difficult with that many vocals, but with the popularity they've achieved, I'd at least expect it to sound decent.

Though I suppose I might be being somewhat biased considering I'm not a fan of AKB48 to begin with.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #860 of 2,994
Quote:
All of this "brightness" talk has got me curious. Can someone provide examples of how X is "brighter" than Y?

I use Stereophile's definition of brightness, so I'm curious to hear if there's actually a tendency for music to be "brighter"

Zazen Boys recordings. Then there's Perfume, pretty sure few will deny their recordings being a bit bright. Though generalizing the genre as a whole for being bright is a bit unfounded. Most likely people mistake poor recordings and their added edge as brightness. Know I was guilty of generalizing at one time as well.

Then let's take the J-Rock stuff. Best example would be Ling Tosite Sigure. Know for a fact that they do not sound as bright live. If you take a listen to #4, or any of their studio stuff, cymbals are unnecessarily bright. In fact, I have one of their more acoustic sounds and it still sounds a little too damn crisp. Plenty of rock acts in Japan have that sort of added crispness, and it can get annoying. Though still not an industry standard that some  people seem to claim.

I decided to become an audiophile because of J-Rock. Didn't really respect music that much before that.

Wat.

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #861 of 2,994
Quote:

hmmm I does represent the meaning in my head pretty closely

yes to me KPop songs have less energy in the 4k-8k range compared to say, JPop.

But my album list is mostly anime JPop with few exceptions so may not be entirely accurate.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #862 of 2,994
Korean-wise, been enjoying the Pastel Music 5th Anniversary - We will be together CDs. Most Korean indie stuff (since it is a korean indie label), but some more international favourites like Mono, Explosions in the Sky, and World's End Girlfriend. Been my ritual afternoon-tea playlist for quite some time now. Some of my favourite album art and packaging ever. No youtube links, so you'll have to make do with grooveshark or something along the lines of that. Great if you have last.fm though.  http://www.last.fm/music/Various+Artists/Pastel+Music+5th+Anniversary:+We+Will+Be+Together

Stuff like Sweetpea, Casker, Fanny Fink, Misty Blue, Cloud Cuckoo Land, Koop, as well as some lesser known stuff.

There's also the Ten Year After (10th Anniversary Pastel Music), but never bothered to buy that. 

Chinese-wise: Recently got a Clip Zip so I can enjoy FM radio on the go again. Been rediscovering this Chinese station where they play these soft, mellow modern pop stuff. Usually not a good fan of C-Pop because of the lyrics, but apparently they have access to tons of indie stuff. They have a storytelling thing, pretty mellow stuff, but only after 10PM. Good music starts ~1-2AM, magic hour would be ~3-5AM. 

Japanese-wise, Boris, Boris, Boris. Will forever be, the biggest Boris fan. Here's some Flood.

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #863 of 2,994
Artists under Pastel is huge in Korea. Just not well known amongst international K-pop fans.

Sweet Pea = vocalist of Deli Spice, one of the biggest rock band.

Misty Blue = Han Hee Jung literally current "queen" of indie along with Taru and Yozoh. Was also vocalist for The The Band.

Casker is extremely well known too.

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #865 of 2,994
Excuse me, I'm new here, but I must say, it's nice to see a thread for Asian music since that's mostly what I listen to. I'm very glad.

Nonetheless, Korean-wise, I listen to pretty much the generic KPop music. 2NE1, BIGBANG, nothing aside from what everyone that listens to KPop knows.

Japanese is the majority of what I listen to. I enjoy people from capsule to ONE OK ROCK to Ayumi Hamasaki. To be honestly, I'll listen to any genre in Japanese. Mostly though, I stay in the J-electro area.

Not really familiar on Chinese, I've heard Chinese songs I like... but idk any songs nor artists.

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #866 of 2,994
Quote:
Excuse me, I'm new here, but I must say, it's nice to see a thread for Asian music since that's mostly what I listen to. I'm very glad.

Nonetheless, Korean-wise, I listen to pretty much the generic KPop music. 2NE1, BIGBANG, nothing aside from what everyone that listens to KPop knows.

Japanese is the majority of what I listen to. I enjoy people from capsule to ONE OK ROCK to Ayumi Hamasaki. To be honestly, I'll listen to any genre in Japanese. Mostly though, I stay in the J-electro area.

Not really familiar on Chinese, I've heard Chinese songs I like... but idk any songs nor artists.

Hi there, welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet! 
wink_face.gif

Chinese music is kind of a hit or miss from my experience and based on your personal tastes.
I like some groups/artists like S.H.E, Fahrenheit, Eason Chan, Gigi Leung, Faye Wong, Joanna Wang, Janice Vidal, and others. Jay Chou is really popular too but I'm not too fond of his music. I like some of Jolin Tsai's music too for funness.

I like Chinese folk music too [or classical crossover in the case of the Twelve Girls Band's music]. The pipa and erhu sound pretty beautiful to me.

I dunno if it's just me, but I've noticed that Chinese music in general tends to be not as well mastered or recorded as other Asian countries. Or maybe it is just me and it's vice versa. XD

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #867 of 2,994
Quote:
Hi there, welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet! 
wink_face.gif

Chinese music is kind of a hit or miss from my experience and based on your personal tastes.
I like some groups/artists like S.H.E, Fahrenheit, Eason Chan, Gigi Leung, Faye Wong, Joanna Wang, Janice Vidal, and others. Jay Chou is really popular too but I'm not too fond of his music. I like some of Jolin Tsai's music too for funness.

I like Chinese folk music too [or classical crossover in the case of the Twelve Girls Band's music]. The pipa and erhu sound pretty beautiful to me.

I dunno if it's just me, but I've noticed that Chinese music in general tends to be not as well mastered or recorded as other Asian countries. Or maybe it is just me and it's vice versa. XD

Haha, thank you!
And I'll have to check out these people, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back