Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Jul 10, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #721 of 2,994
Quote:
I haven't seen many people talk about YUI, which I found surprising since I think of her as one of the top J-rock-pop artists. In fact I heard about her through one of Project86's reviews. She has a really airy voice which sounds great through AKG K701's and pretty much anything with good treble.

I'm pretty sure YUI's already appeared in this thread. I'm a fan as well. Girls with guitars and a cute/expressive singing voice is very hard to resist--especially if they can also write and perform their own songs.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #722 of 2,994
I've yet to have gotten the opportunity to listen to any of Yui's songs. Any suggestions on some good places to start? She strikes me as someone whose music I would get into. 

Edit: Seems that she did some ED's for Bleach. I haven't watched much of that, so that would explain why I've never heard of her anime-wise. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #723 of 2,994
Quote:
I've yet to have gotten the opportunity to listen to any of Yui's songs. Any suggestions on some good places to start? She strikes me as someone whose music I would get into. 

Edit: Seems that she did some ED's for Bleach. I haven't watched much of that, so that would explain why I've never heard of her anime-wise. 

Here are some of my favorite YUI songs:

Che.r.ry 
Summer Song
Again
Life
Cloudy
Parade
Laugh Away
Just My Way
Separation
Hello

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #724 of 2,994
Quote:

Here are some of my favorite YUI songs:

Che.r.ry 
Summer Song
Again
Life
Cloudy
Parade
Laugh Away
Just My Way
Separation
Hello

Great stuff! Che.r.ry and Laugh Away were just my style. I'm watching taiyou no uta right now, and YUI's starring in it. Her songs really bright the mood to a otherwise downright depressing story. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #725 of 2,994
Quote:
 I'm watching taiyou no uta right now, and YUI's starring in it. Her songs really bright the mood to a otherwise downright depressing story. 

Unfortunately, she is terrible at acting, and after that attempt, she never tried acting again and focused on music. She said so herself that she's not a good actor and prefers to concentrate on music. I bet she was starred originally because her record company (or talent agency) saw the money potential in the cross-over of her music and her cute face. 

You should try watching the TV series version instead, which stars Sawajiri Erika, who's also a singer/musician, but also an actress and model. She's far better at acting, and objectively more attractive. I don't really care for her music though, since she's not a passionate songwriter like YUI is--she seems to be more about just being famous and enjoying the spotlight, instead of a true "artist."

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #726 of 2,994
Quote:​

Unfortunately, she is terrible at acting, and after that attempt, she never tried acting again and focused on music. She said so herself that she's not a good actor and prefers to concentrate on music. I bet she was starred originally because her record company (or talent agency) saw the money potential in the cross-over of her music and her cute face. 

You should try watching the TV series version instead, which stars Sawajiri Erika, who's also a singer/musician, but also an actress and model. She's far better at acting, and objectively more attractive. I don't really care for her music though, since she's not a passionate songwriter like YUI is--she seems to be more about just being famous and enjoying the spotlight, instead of a true "artist."

Well, it's not like I expect standout acting from the usual dorama, and YUI did fine as a pretty-faced lead (acting-wise, a big flop). Manga was much better on all fronts, though. 

More on the line of this thread, is this huge dump of school food punishment stuff:

It's too bad they split last month, though 
frown.gif

Wait, just noticed an astounding lack of Do As Infinity and The Brilliant Green in this thread. Let me just fix that...

Tomoko Kawase is much better with TBG, her alter egos just annoy me

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #727 of 2,994
Quote:
Well, it's not like I expect standout acting from the usual dorama, and YUI did fine as a pretty-faced lead (acting-wise, a big flop). Manga was much better on all fronts, though. 

More on the line of this thread, is this huge dump of school food punishment stuff:

It's too bad they split last month, though 
frown.gif

Yes, very disappointing... Loved amp-reflection and prog-roid. 

My favorite YUI song, with a beautiful live performance:

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #728 of 2,994
Quote:
Yes, very disappointing... Loved amp-reflection and prog-roid. 

Love amp-reflection, just brought all my favorites together with some really good newer stuff. Prog-roid was solid as well; hikari brings chills, and flashback trip syndrome is just a head-bopper. I tend to place the EPs on a higher level of quality, though. Air feel. color swim and school food is good food were my favorites from them. and probably some of my favorite EPs overall.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #729 of 2,994
High and Mighty Color was among my favourite Japanese bands back in the day, was gutted when Maki left the group. (And when the group disbanded the next year) 

Been listening to Ikkimonogakari and Taru lately, will give Boa's latest Korean album a listen later this week. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #730 of 2,994
Quote:

I love YUI's music and i agree she is a joke as an actress, Sawajiri is the opossite, pretty good acting, but her music? meh.

Anyway, here's something that resembles YUI in some ways, miwa!

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #731 of 2,994
Quote:
High and Mighty Color was among my favourite Japanese bands back in the day, was gutted when Maki left the group. (And when the group disbanded the next year

What? I didn't even realize they disbanded. D:

I was fortunate to see their live performance at the Sakura-Con event in 2010... :xf_eek:

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #733 of 2,994
Seo Taiji is often regarded as the pioneer of Korean music industry.  His influence has affected K-pop industry up to now.  Now he is considered the best alternative rock musician in Korea.
The interesting thing about his career is that he started his career in a dance pop boy band in 1992. (Before he formed the boy band, he was playing bass guitar in the band called, Sinawe, which is the best heavy metal band in Korean metal history)  If you listen to all his albums, you can find a variety of music genres like rock, dance, hip-hop, ballad and etc....

The song attached below is the latest song: Seo Taiji's 8th album, Atomos(2008).

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #735 of 2,994
Quote:
His lyricism is one of the finest in Korea. Shame I couldn't pick up his limited 15th anniversary album... that was sold out so fast... as expected of Taiji.

Either you can speak Korean or you are Korean, you can probably get used version of the limited anniversary album from www.dreamrec.co.kr (But, you must be lucky!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back