Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Feb 26, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #661 of 2,994

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #667 of 2,994

Quote:
Logged in just to say wow, thank you. This is exactly what I've been looking for. Stunning female vocals

Nice music.

"Comprising six members from China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, the Philippines and Switzerland, HAYA is one of China's most unique musical groups. Featuring Mongolian world music, they perform Mongolian singing accompanied by both traditional and modern musical instruments. 

The name "HAYA" means "margin" in Mongolian and indicates a sub-culture and non-mainstream identity."

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #668 of 2,994
I noticed someone posted a sakanaction song a couple pages back, but I wanted to post this one in particular.  It is my favorite by this group.  The name doesn't translate well and generally comes out like "Because of a Bach melody heard at night" or something along those lines.

I've been slowly working my way through this thread.  I love Tokyo Jihen now.  I even managed to find one of their albums I could get without paying $50 or so to have it imported from Japan.

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #669 of 2,994

Quote:
Some of my favorite japanese music

Tokyo Jihen

Sotaisei Riron 

Maximum the Hormone

I really enjoyed those. Thanks! 

Sotaisei Riron is especially nice. It's like indie with a twinge of progressive creativity.

I already know about Shiina Ringo/Tokyo Jihen, but the songs I've heard in the past didn't really grab me much. The ones you posted I liked though, so I'll give them another chance. 

Maximum the Hormone is just boldly fun, and their sense of songwriting is more varied in terms of verse variations and stylistic hybridization than most similar bands, which IMO, makes them more musical, but still hard-hitting.
Quote:

I don't know how well-versed you are in anime/game scores in general, but there are a lot of anime/game scores that are composed/arranged/performed/produced to a much higher quality than those two tracks you posted. Maybe if you listed your favorite anime/game scores/composers, I can make some recommendations that I think you'll really enjoy. (No guarantee though, since it could also depends on subjective taste. But I know the style of composition/arrangement/production you posted very well, as it's a very standard/vanilla style that's been used in anime/games for decades now, and there are tons of examples of that style.)

Quote:

I like the soft jazz, but I listened to a few other songs from her, and I think her vocals are just a little too drab/unemotional/flat. If she emoted just a bit more, her voice would be a lot more expressive.

Quote:

And something a bit different.

I could have sworn I had already posted this before? 

I bought their album last April when I was in Taiwan, and I really enjoyed it. She has a beautiful voice, and the musical style is a nice blend of traditional folk and modern sensibilities.

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #671 of 2,994
Mar 7, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #672 of 2,994
Man, you just had to pick the two songs from that anime that make me cry. They use those songs at the perfect moments, I swear. T_T
^good songs nonetheless, even if there are better songs out there.

Everything about Clannad makes me cry.

I have never heard of a more tearjearking thing than Clannad. No matter which form of art you consider.

Mar 8, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #673 of 2,994
I'm really enjoying this thread.  It seems like many are open minded about the music presented here.  Just to give a shout out to my heritage, take a listen to some of the following.  It's traditional Korean folk music, pansori.  In my opinion, this style has such richness of expression and vocal range that even if you do not understand the story these performers are telling, you will still appreciate the music and artistry.

A scene from the Korean Movie "Seopyeonje"
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kojKqZk_zHg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A contemporary artist, Ali, performing pansori
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uNVlktZ5HbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A little history vid about pansori.
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YfGT-mN6ngw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just wanted to add that music is not only about the sound but the culture behind it.  Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back