Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Oct 23, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #481 of 2,994

Quote:
Really?! RnB?! You find female RnB singers thuggish?! Come one man! I can understand about the whole hip-hop thing since that's the stereotypical image... like globally.  

I was mostly talking about hip-hop, but I'm not a fan of RnB in general either, since I never found the melodic contours of that style appealing, and the fashion/style of RnB never resonated with me either. There are very, very few RnB songs I give a damn about. Hikkie's "First Love" is probably the only RnB song I not only like, but love very much:

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #482 of 2,994
Well, the more reason to go back to your previous statement. Since there's like 1 female mainstream hiphop artist in Korea. And like 3 in underground. So there's not much hiphop for Korean female artists to embrace to... unless you're referring to girl groups with 'rappers' or whatever they are called nowadays? 

I wish Korea would start to get away from hip-hop and RnB and embrace other influences. I don't quite care for the attitude of hip-hop and RnB in general for female acts, because it tends to be more thuggish and mean (in other word, bitchy), and I prefer a more elegant, romantic, and gentle kind of feminine charm, or the slick smoothness of sexy electro-pop.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #483 of 2,994

Quote:
Well, the more reason to go back to your previous statement. Since there's like 1 mainstream hiphop artist in Korea. And like 3 in underground. So there's not much hiphop for Korean female artists to embrace to... unless you're talking about girl groups with 'rappers' or whatever they are called nowadays? 

Yeah, I'm mainly talking about the influence of hip-hop and RnB in the girl groups and solo artists--not necessarily that they need to be full-blown, authentic hip-hop or RnB artists. I'm just not a fan of that sensibility or musical style in general (though I do like some rap, but very few. I tend to like rap that's more intellectual than pretentious posturing and demeaning of women).

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #484 of 2,994

Quote:
Yeah, I'm mainly talking about the influence of hip-hop and RnB in the girl groups and solo artists--not necessarily that they need to be full-blown, authentic hip-hop or RnB artists. I'm just not a fan of that sensibility or musical style in general (though I do like some rap, but very few. I tend to like rap that's more intellectual than pretentious posturing and demeaning of women).

I got used to it after awhile. I think they (normally an idol group with a 'rapper') exist because they have the physical appearance but lacks at everything else, or something along those lines.

As for solo acts, I am guessing you're referring to solists like Rain, Hyori, Se7en, etc. The whole rnb with "hiphop"-esque atmosphere. Typical Justin Timberlake or Usher kind of stuff. I actually used to enjoy some of their stuff, but not anymore. I agree, it's getting tad old now. I guess wouldn't mind if their old songs are being played on my computer. But yeah, I wouldn't physically look for that song and play it.

I find a lot of (not all, just majority) of the pop acts in Asia has cleaner image (just a bit, not a lot) compared to Western counterpart. Well, that's how I feel about K-Pop anyway. How about you guys?

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #487 of 2,994

Quote:

I got used to it after awhile. I think they (normally an idol group with a 'rapper') exist because they have the physical appearance but lacks at everything else, or something along those lines.

As for solo acts, I am guessing you're referring to solists like Rain, Hyori, Se7en, etc. The whole rnb with "hiphop"-esque atmosphere. Typical Justin Timberlake or Usher kind of stuff. I actually used to enjoy some of their stuff, but not anymore. I agree, it's getting tad old now. I guess wouldn't mind if their old songs are being played on my computer. But yeah, I wouldn't physically look for that song and play it.

I find a lot of (not all, just majority) of the pop acts in Asia has cleaner image (just a bit, not a lot) compared to Western counterpart. Well, that's how I feel about K-Pop anyway. How about you guys?

Asian societies are much more conservative still, so they can't get away with the same kind of crap that many western artists get away with, such as constantly have run-in's with the law, being extremely arrogant and rude, openly sleep with tons of people, have sex videos of themselves purposely "leaked" to the public and not suffer any real consequences, get into bar fights, openly known as drug addicts or alcoholics...etc. Korea is especially bad when it comes to public image--as soon as an artist slightly steps out of line, the Korean public will bury this person via online, and eventually drive the person to suicide or out of the country--it's happened so many times already and it's absolutely disgusting. That kind of behavior is no different than cyber-bullying that causes kids to kill themselves like we see in the west. 

Quote:

Some guitarists in famous bands can't play Malmsteen... and she plays clean on the bridge =O

Quote:
I feel the same way, and she got my attention.

Yeah, anyone who thinks otherwise just isn't well-versed in the matters of musicianship. They don't understand now, but if one day, they decide to pick up a guitar and try really hard to play it for a few years non-stop, they'll realize how damn difficult what she played was. Then do the same for piano, bass, drums, dance, singing, and see how far they get on all of them. For some people, it isn't until they have tried and failed at something do they realize how easy others make it look, when it's anything but. After having tried and failed miserably, they'll start to have more respect for other people's accomplishments--provided they do no suffer from Dunning-Kruger syndrome. But sometimes it's just youth--many young people don't have the life experience, insights, and wisdom to realize these things, but they will when they get older.

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #488 of 2,994
Since the issue of Korean music getting away from hip hop and R&B influences was brought up, I thought I'd share the following - which I think is an example of non-mainstream music that has actually gotten relatively popular. Apologies if Jang Gi Ha has been brought up on this thread before and I missed it. Otherwise I'm curious what people think.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #489 of 2,994

Quote:
Asian societies are much more conservative still, so they can't get away with the same kind of crap that many western artists get away with, such as constantly have run-in's with the law, being extremely arrogant and rude, openly sleep with tons of people, have sex videos of themselves purposely "leaked" to the public and not suffer any real consequences, get into bar fights, openly known as drug addicts or alcoholics...etc. Korea is especially bad when it comes to public image--as soon as an artist slightly steps out of line, the Korean public will bury this person via online, and eventually drive the person to suicide or out of the country--it's happened so many times already and it's absolutely disgusting. That kind of behavior is no different than cyber-bullying that causes kids to kill themselves like we see in the west. 

While I agree that people do tend to go over the top, but I honestly don't think you can point the finger to the netizens. Of course, they do play some part, but it's not that huge of a deal. Or at least, it's not as big as you'd think it is. You wouldn't understand unless fluent enough to browse through websites and fully comprehend the comments. While there are many negative comments, there are bound to be positive comments. In fact, if you happen to browse through the net while the scandal is happening, you'd surprised see lot of positive comments. Even if you think the person has committed a bad deed.

The suicide by depression to number of suicide due to negative comments from netizens... doesn't even stack against each other. If one commits a suicide, it's mostly from having huge debt, not being able to get popular (sounds shallow, but it happens), bad management, overworked (again, its part of bad management). One doesn't suddenly commit suicide after reading bunch of comments on one's personal website. They commit suicide once the news goes over the top, by airing and publishing these articles (which are a lot of times... hard cold fact, and truthful). I think many have bad ways of handling their own situation. It's probably a sign that you should get some help, for your own benefits. 

On top of that, drinking lots of alcohol isn't frowned upon like it is in the West. I am sure that factors in when these people makes bad decisions. 

Quote:
Since the issue of Korean music getting away from hip hop and R&B influences was brought up, I thought I'd share the following - which I think is an example of non-mainstream music that has actually gotten relatively popular. Apologies if Jang Gi Ha has been brought up on this thread before and I missed it. Otherwise I'm curious what people think.

I love them. In fact, I have both of their albums. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #490 of 2,994
Definitely true about the images. And that's why I like asian artists more than western ones. There's a difference between Japan and Korea too, I think. Japanese often tend to have a cuter image, at least I've gotten that sort of impression.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #492 of 2,994

Quote:
In Korea, many people don't believe alcoholism exists.  I wonder if it's the same in other East and Southeast Asian countries.

Asian countries are very backwards and uneducated when it comes to mental illnesses, depression, addiction, and so on when compared to western countries. They tend to just sweep it all under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist, because they see it as a source of shame. A depressed, mentally ill, or addicted person is probably more likely to kill themselves than to seek professional help and get on medication/treatment. 

And yes, S.E. Asians drink and smoke like it's still 20th century.

Generally speaking Asia is behind the west in terms of modern developments in society and culture. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #493 of 2,994

Quote:
Asian countries are very backwards and uneducated when it comes to mental illnesses, depression, addiction, and so on when compared to western countries. They tend to just sweep it all under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist, because they see it as a source of shame. A depressed, mentally ill, or addicted person is probably more likely to kill themselves than to seek professional help and get on medication/treatment. 

Generally speaking Asia is behind the west in terms of modern developments in society and culture. 

Been reading that suicides etc. are common in China, especially among people who work hard with crappy salary. There were many cases some months back. They're common in Japan too, might be like you said. Though it's common in Finland too, even more common if I remember correctly...

Earlier, lets say even few decades ago, there were lots of things that were not spoken of easily, like being gay, or mentally ill. (And no, I don't imply that these are similar things. xD) Today, it's more of trendy to be gay. Wonder when that happens to mental illness and other issues. I happen to know a person who has some mental issues, and she sure isn't hiding that from anybody. I don't know what's more healthy, to be ashamed or brag about it. Not that one should commit suicide though. Even while it's everyone's own call in my books. Well, hope this diddn't offend anyone, might write about anything this early in the morning. = )

EDIT: Oh, happened to notice that this is getting of topic! =D

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #494 of 2,994
I think it is more likely due to political/legal systems.  In the US, they don't drink outdoors, not because they are good people, but because they will be penalized if they do so.

I think MUSIC may be the cure.  A message from England.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #495 of 2,994
Quote:

That's unfortunate to hear, but not unexpected.  I think I heard a friend mention that there's also no awareness, much less fear, of lung cancer in Asia.  The thing that I always appreciate most about California whenever I come back from Japan or Korea is the fresh air.  I remember a segment on NPR several months ago when they were talking about a drug treatment in Russia to get people to give up alcohol, and it's absolutely incredible by western standards: http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/03/03/pm-russias-battle-with-the-bottle/

Anyway, so as not to derail the thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back