Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Oct 23, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #467 of 2,994
http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipView.do?clipid=20705741

Moving Japanese song. Piano + Vocals

8bit cover by YMCK. A fun chiptune group.

Don't know if Clazziquai was mentioned. Really sexy vocals and consistently fresh instrumentals... often labeled as acid jazz.

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #469 of 2,994
Not you.  There was someone earlier who copied several screens worth of videos for a one line reply.

He did it too. It was just too many times back to back. Had to say something lol.

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #471 of 2,994
What is everyone's opinion on the best Asian Language to sing in by the way? Korean is really well suited because they don't have any abrasive consonants and their vowels are really open and straight. I actually think it's one of the most well suited languages to sing in worldwide. Japanese is similar.

Even though I'm Chinese I think it's one of the worst languages to sing in -_-. The inherent tonality in the language can feel strange when put into music I think. Also so many triphthongs and diphthongs and complex consonants make it just very cumbersome to work with. The redeeming factor is the written language imo.

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #473 of 2,994

Quote:
What is everyone's opinion on the best Asian Language to sing in by the way? Korean is really well suited because they don't have any abrasive consonants and their vowels are really open and straight. I actually think it's one of the most well suited languages to sing in worldwide. Japanese is similar.

Even though I'm Chinese I think it's one of the worst languages to sing in -_-. The inherent tonality in the language can feel strange when put into music I think. Also so many triphthongs and diphthongs and complex consonants make it just very cumbersome to work with. The redeeming factor is the written language imo.

I am not a Chinese, but I enjoy some songs in Chinese.  They are just beautiful to my ears.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #474 of 2,994

Have no idea what the song's about. But at least I can understand The Q's verses. Solid as usual.

Quote:

Even though I'm Chinese I think it's one of the worst languages to sing in -_-. The inherent tonality in the language can feel strange when put into music I think. Also so many triphthongs and diphthongs and complex consonants make it just very cumbersome to work with. The redeeming factor is the written language imo

I think the most beautiful language is the language you can appreciate.  Whether it's Chinese or Japanese or Korean or English or French, or other languages. As long as you can appreciate it it should be fine. You don't have to fully understand it or anything. Well, that's just my two cents. Remember, everyone has different tastes, so everyone's going to have different preferences.

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #475 of 2,994

Quote:
Oh man, I’d like to start off this post by saying: Sorry.
[size=medium]I really wasn’t in my right mind when I started posting those crude quality posts. On top of that I decided to jump on you with no real good reason. [/size]
[size=medium]What was I doing? I am on Head-Fi,  a  place for music lovers, not haters.[/size]

[size=medium]Seo Taiji + Lee Juno + YG (The same dude who's in charge of YG Entertainment with Big Bang, 2NE1, Se7en, etc) = Seo Taiji and Boys. [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Often credited for bringing ‘Americanized  pop’ to Korea. Basically they are ancestors of current idols (unless we put Shin Hae Chul to the game, who is distant  cousin of Taiji and probably one of the first teen idol in Korea...ever. Now more suitable title for him is ex-King of experimental genre) , they are basically responsible for today’s formula for an idol group and idol fandom. Of course, groups like H.O.T/S.E.S and Sechskies/Fin.Kl refined the formula even further by emulating American groups and Japanese idol groups.[/size][/size]

The thing with Taiji, he was originally a bassist for another famous Korean band before he started his pop act. Over the years, he slowly reverted back to 'rock'. Around early 2000's late Hide of X Japan's guitar was given to Taiji as a present by Hide's parents.

Taiji is probably only singer who appears on 9 O'Clock news when he releases new album. He's probably only singer who gets 1 hour special from all 3 broadcasting stations, meaning rest of the idols can't perform throughout that week. Hahahahaha.

[size=medium] [/size][size=medium]Okay, without further ado here are some of his... tracks. They are pretty unpolished. But I like'em very much. Sigh, shame not every idols writes their own songs. Most, if not all were written by Taiji himself.[/size]

It's cool. We all have our moments of "What was I doing?" in our lives. In times like that, we just have to remind ourselves that it's love that makes this world a better place, not cynicism, hate, misplaced pride, or anything else that darkens our lives. I've got my moments too, but with age and experience, I've managed to control that beast and learned to be fair and diplomatic. I'm still very opinionated, but I try to not be a jerk about it.

Seo Taiji's accomplishments to modernize Korean music industry is certainly not to be understated, and his experimental spirit is to be admired. It's also refreshing to see a Korean crowd rocking out to something that's much more compelling than the typical fluffy dance pop without any intellectual substance. Can't say I find the timbre of his voice my cup of tea though--it's a bit too nasal for my taste--but that's not his fault--we can't change the overall tonality of the voice we are born with, no matter how we train as vocalists (unless singing in highly esoteric styles such as opera). 

To use him as an example to compare to E-Young is not quite appropriate though--this guy was a professional musician before he even started a pop group, and he's also male, which makes it a very different case. I don't know if non-musicians realize this, but female multi-instrumentalists are much more rare than male ones, not to mention a teenage girl who demonstrated on video her skills on multiple instruments. If there are videos of Taiji also playing drums, keyboard, and bass, I would love to see them. He probably could play all those instruments too, since many producers are multi-instrumentalists. The fact that it took a 'God-father of modern Korean music" as an example to compare to her only makes her seem even more impressive. If she continues to develop and grow, such as learning to compose/arrange, produce, and so on, then one day, she just might become a female version of Seo Taiji in the future. 

The fact is, if you met Taiji and asked him what he thinks of E-Young, I will bet you that he would approve of her and say encouraging things about her. I would be surprised if Taiji knew about her and didn't have warm feelings when seeing her trying hard to excel at multiple instruments. If you think about it, she has far more similarities to Taiji's younger self than any typical idol, because she cares enough about being a musician to learn those instruments and play them at a level that most would consider professional. She's not some clueless girl who just wants to shake her ass and look pretty on stage like so many idols out there. This girl's got so much potential to be something remarkable--let's just wait and see what she does with all that talent and hard work. Maybe she'll become nothing more than a curiosity and an gimmick for After School, but maybe she'll leave the group and become a serious musician. She might even end up writing and producing for the group. We'll just wait and see.

Quote:
I don't know her expertise, but I am very impressed with her multi-talents.  Do you have any OTHER video/audio clips of her singing? 

I only found that one video of her actually singing. I'm not as impressed by her singing--I really think of her as a musician more than a singer at this point, until she proves otherwise. 

Quote:
It's pretty uncommon to run across someone who has proficiency in multiple creative areas.  The crudeness is probably due to the lack of focus, but given her age and background, I'm sure she could rise to a more than acceptable level of professional level, especially after video editing is added in
wink.gif
  She's certainly not the Jake Locker of dance and music, but she has potential, especially if her career's managed the right way.  Sure, she's no John Myung, but she doesn't really need to be.

I've had trouble getting in Krock.  I think the Koreans do pop much better than the Japanese, but I'll almost always take a Japanese rock band over a Korean one.  Been enjoying Rin Tosh ite (connect the two words earlier, the profanity filter is blocking it) Shigure (凛として時雨) a lot lately.

I would definitely not describe what she demonstrated as "crude." To say her playing on those instruments is crude would be extremely cynical and unrealistic. To play at the level she demonstrated is not something most average people can accomplish--on just one instrument, let alone multiple instruments. 

J-Rock is still more innovative and interesting than K-Rock at this point, but that might change in the future--if the Korean public stops being so obsessed with mainstream pop and tried to be more experimental in their tastes. Korean indie music seems to be doing well though, and their acoustic/romantic sound is something of a specialty that we don't see as much of in Japan. I agree that K-Pop as a whole is currently superior to J-Pop, but I wish Korea would start to get away from hip-hop and RnB and embrace other influences. I don't quite care for the attitude of hip-hop and RnB in general for female acts, because it tends to be more thuggish and mean (in other word, bitchy), and I prefer a more elegant, romantic, and gentle kind of feminine charm, or the slick smoothness of sexy electro-pop.

Quote:
Dude, WTH? Was Bokyung SERIOUSLY trying to make this girl look like an untalented hack? She's freaking amazing! And any idol that can play Malmsteen is OK in my book. haha 

There are plenty of non-idol musicians who can't play Malmsteen, and that's what makes it impressive--the fact she's an idol, a female, and fairly young. I think Bokyung just doesn't have an accurate meter to judge what is considered an accomplishment for this specific circumstance--the fact there are four factors making it highly unusual (being a teen, being a girl, being an idol, AND doing all that she demonstrated). His example of Seo Taiji just makes it even more clear--for the fact that he's male, and a musician who played in a band before he even contemplated forming a pop dance group. The fact that it took a "God-father of modern Korean music' to be used as an example to demonstrate the what he considers the same level of accomplishment as this girl, only makes her look all the more impressive. 

I don't know if most non-musicians realize just how hard it is to play at the level she demonstrated, even if said level isn't anything amazing--it's already harder than what many people can do even after years of playing an instrument. Unless someone has actually tried to learn the same instruments she played in those videos, they just have no idea how long it takes to get to those levels. There are plenty of people in the world who play one single instrument for their entire lives and never get to those levels (probably because they didn't practice enough and treated it as a casual hobby instead of something to push themselves to excel at). 

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #476 of 2,994

Quote:
I only found that one video of her actually singing. I'm not as impressed by her singing--I really think of her as a musician more than a singer at this point, until she proves otherwise.

I agree.  I am not impressed with her singing, but saw potential.  Just want to hear more of her singing before making a final judgement.

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #477 of 2,994

Quote:

Have no idea what the song's about. But at least I can understand The Q's verses. Solid as usual.

​

I think the most beautiful language is the language you can appreciate.  Whether it's Chinese or Japanese or Korean or English or French, or other languages. As long as you can appreciate it it should be fine. You don't have to fully understand it or anything. Well, that's just my two cents. Remember, everyone has different tastes, so everyone's going to have different preferences.

I LOVE Tamaki koji/Anzen Chitai. Koji is one of the most talented songwriters in Japanese music. I love his voice too--great technique and timbre that's masculine yet expressive. 

As for language better for singing, I agree that Korean and Japanese are much better than Chinese (and I'm Chinese). I especially dislike Cantonese--it's just so unpleasant, period, for singing or speaking. I wish all Cantonese speakers would just adopt Mandarin and let Cantonese become extinct as a dialect. :D 

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #478 of 2,994

Quote:

Is she a professional guitarist?

Nah, she's a pop idol who debuted recently. She's very unusual though--I've never seen any pop idol like her, and she almost seems misplaced as an idol. My gut instinct is that she may not remain in the pop idol group she's in (After School) for too long (unless she starts taking on songwriting and producing duties--then that's a different scenario). 

When you compare her playing directly to the original, then of course she's not as good, but that would be an extremely unfair comparison. She's just a teenage girl popstar, while he's a world-renowned guitarist with vast experience. Even then, to be able to play as well as her is already quite an accomplishment. There are tons of guitarists out there who can't play that well--including professional ones. The fact she even DARED to try to play something as difficult as that shows she's got balls of steel. 

Seriously, from all the evidence I've seen about her, this girl is absolutely fearless. She will try anything and push herself to excel at it. And I find her chameleon-like ability to jump from serious musician to a sexy popstar very interesting. Those two elements don't usually mix at all--people tend to belong firmly to one side only. Many serious musicians would find it beneath them to be a pop idol in a dance/singing group, and most pop idols would not be that serious about being a musician. She's got the confidence to do both and not feel weird about it. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #479 of 2,994

Quote:
 I wish Korea would start to get away from hip-hop and RnB and embrace other influences. I don't quite care for the attitude of hip-hop and RnB in general for female acts, because it tends to be more thuggish and mean (in other word, bitchy), and I prefer a more elegant, romantic, and gentle kind of feminine charm, or the slick smoothness of sexy electro-pop.

There's not that many female emcees in Korea (both mainstream and underground). I don't really find them thuggish except a few.

Tasha (she recently made to MTV Iggy's top 12 female emcees you don't know about.)

Really?! RnB?! You find female RnB singers thuggish?! Come one man! I can understand about the whole hip-hop thing since that's the stereotypical image... like globally. 

Lena Park

Big Mama

Navi (Literally means Butterfly in Korean)

Tasha (AGAIN HAHA)

Bom Park

Quote:
I LOVE Tamaki koji/Anzen Chitai. Koji is one of the most talented songwriters in Japanese music. I love his voice too--great technique and timbre that's masculine yet expressive.  
As for language better for singing, I agree that Korean and Japanese are much better than Chinese (and I'm Chinese). I especially dislike Cantonese--it's just so unpleasant, period, for singing or speaking. I wish all Cantonese speakers would just adopt Mandarin and let Cantonese become extinct as a dialect. :D 

Now I know his name. LOL

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #480 of 2,994
BTW, this is the kind of thing that makes me swoon. I've loved this video ever since I saw it a few years ago:

Her name is supposedly Soyoun Park, according to one of the comments, but I can't find any information about her or any other videos. If anyone can provide more information, I'd be eternally grateful. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back