Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Aug 17, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #286 of 2,994
Quote:
I would love to know your opinion on the politics of music in Asia or the world from your work as an insider. It will only help our understanding of why music is a certain way. One of my closest friends and ex-band member is trying to get into the Hong Kong pop music scene. She's getting to sing some songs with a really famous producer there and we're pretty excited. I'd like to know more about what she's getting into though.

If your friend is very passionate about music and cannot and do not want to do anything else with her life, even if she wont' be able to make a decent living in music, then it's a sacrifice she'll have to accept. Also, if she's going the mainstream route, then she'll also need to accept the fact she'll have to deal with the politics, record company control, and probably be forced to be an all-around entertainer instead of focusing on music alone (such as acting, modeling, product endorsement, and so on). If she's going to be "serious" about music, then she'll likely not make enough money to even earn a proper living, but she'll get to concentrate on just music. If she's also talented creatively, she could also work behind the scenes as a songwriter, composer, arranger...etc, and it's possible to earn a decent living that way, although the money one makes will pale compared to many other normal jobs out there (unless you become a sought after name who's made one hit after another).

It's all kind of complicated, and while I was thinking about how to explain it all, I realized I can't do it without writing an entire essay on the state of the music industry, the difference between western and eastern audiences, the differences between mainstream and non-mainstream, the inner politics of the idol manufacturing business, the aspirations, priorities, and lifestyles of the idols vs. the "serious" musicians, how and why the music industry has changed since the internet and how it affects everyone in the industry, including how they earn their income, and how the entertainment industry works overall. Hell, it could be book-length by the time I'm done.

I'll talk about my general thoughts about the relationship between the audience and the music industry though. The whole mainstream pop vs. underground/indie/non-mainstream genres debate rests on one thing only, and that is the overall taste of the local audience. If a large percentage of the general audience dislikes your products, then you won't sell, period. So when stuff does sell very well, then it's simply a reflection of the general taste of the population. The truth is, the largest portion of the general audience has "average" taste, and average is synonymous with "mediocre." So, why are we even surprised that most of the music out there is mediocre? It's because they are catered to the mainstream audience, made up of mediocre tastes. It's not as if you give the mainstream audience something with much higher musical merit, they'll all of a sudden embrace it and have their tastes elevated--it doesn't work like that. A lot of what makes music more sophisticated is lost on the uneducated ears of the mainstream audience, and they can only understand the most obvious, soothing, and catchy approaches to melody and rhythm. That is what pop music does so well--obvious catchy productions that are also kind of soothing and fun. Add beautiful looking people with sex appeal, and is it any wonder it's remained the selling formula since the invention of modern media?

While I'm a "serious" musician, I can also appreciate how much work it goes into making really good pop music, and how hard the idol popstars must work in order to be the best at what they do--from training, rehearsals, to maintaining their looks, working insane hours, and always have great attitude and keeping the audience entertained and happy. I'm objective enough to know to separate the image from the music. I may find a popstar very attractive and charismatic, but if the music is not good, I won't listen to it--I'll just watch that person on variety shows and enjoy her charismatic personality. But the average person isn't that logical; they would accept that popstar as a whole package, and support him/her in every way.

S.E. Asian audiences are easily manipulated compared to Western audiences, because Asian culture emphasizes harmony and homogenization as opposed to individuality like the West. The pack mentality of "we" supporting "our" favorite popstar becomes a powerful force in promoting popstars. Idol stars are presented as idealized versions of what the opposite sex desires, and the audience has this tendency to "support" the popstar they are the most attracted to, and that includes buying their albums even if they aren't great singers, watching their movies and TV shows, even if they aren't great actors, and buying the products they endorse, because they want to feel closer to the person they worship and put on a pedestal.

There will always be the mediocre Popstars who just get by on looks (this seems to a more prevalent problem in the J-Pop industry than the Korean or C-Pop industry), have no real passion for music, only wants fame and attention, and are happy and content to be used as money-making puppets by the record company, as long as it keeps them famous. We can all tell who they are, as their singing is mediocre, and they have never expressed any real tangible passion for music in interviews or in their private lives. If the audience found that hard to stomach, they would simply vote with their wallets, but the fact these pretty faces with no talent are allowed to exist only proves that the audience is to blame for their shallow tastes. So next time, before you start pointing fingers at the music industry, you should turn to the people in your lives--your family and friends and co-workers, and ask them why they have such shallow tastes in music and why they continue to support bad music.

Even in the non-mainstream pop, such as the most current Japanese visual kei bands that were posted in this thread (the ones that look like they just walked out of a Final Fantasy video game) there's still that really shallow element, such as the clothes and makeup being so extreme that the members look like colorful transvestite clowns. If music was all that mattered, then why bother with the visual stuff in such an extreme manner? The West went through that phase in the 80's with the big-haired partying hard-rock bands, and when the grunge movement came onto the scene, it made all the big-haired bubblegum rock bands look like a bunch of clowns. People suddenly woke up and said, "Wow, we've been idiots for liking that transvestite clown look." The message behind the grunge movement also made the 80's big hair rock seem very shallow as well, and that also changed everything in the music industry. People became more sensitive to socio-political issues, and they cared if their music had meaning. But eventually, people got tired of being serious and wanted to have fun again.

Truth is, we are visual animals, and we care about how things look. Every genre of music has an associate look. Look at how classical musicians are dressed. Same with rock musicians, hip-hop artists, industrial/goth musicians, jazz musicians, punk musicians, and so on. How "normal" the look is doesn't necessarily reflect how "serious" the music is either. There are plenty of T-shirt and jeans musicians who make crappy music, and really theatrical looking bands making incredible music. The fact of the matter is, when I'm just listening to music, I can't see the visuals, and I only care if the music is any good. That is the real acid test for me--everything else is just added bonus or a distraction.

Today, with the democratization of the internet, we pretty much can find all kinds of styles of music, with each genre has its own niche audience, and continues to move forward despite whether they are part of the mainstream. The people who are making the music may not be able to make a living at it, but they continue to release music because it's what they love to do in their free time when they are not working a full-time or part-time job.

As for mainstream pop vs. "serious" music, I'll just say that in my music collection, the highest rated tracks span all genres, and in fact, I probably have more highly rated tracks in the mainstream pop genre than I do of classical or jazz--probably about the same number as underground/indie/film & game soundtracks. It is a misconception that pop music is easy to write. Mediocre pop music is easy to write, but excellent pop music is not easy at all. I know composer who are snobby classical and jazz guys, and I've seen them try to make pop music, and they sucked at it. There was no sense of excitement, no stylistic authenticity, the melody and rhythm was boring, and the arrangement was laughably dated sounding. But on the other hand, I've also seen pop musicians and underground musicians try to make more respectable music like jazz or classical, and they often sucked too. Many of them lacked the level of musicianship required to pull off those styles.

So in the end, I think genre doesn't really matter--it's quality that counts. In every genre, there are idiosyncratic knowledge and skills you need to have in order to produce superior or interesting results. Personally, I like well-rounded musicians. The more diverse and well-versed a musician is in various genres, the more well-rounded he is overall in knowledge and skill. This applies to singers too, such as being able to sing not just standard pop, but also jazz, rock, and other styles. This isn't to say that musical artists HAVE to have a wide range--it's simply something I personally find more interesting and have great respect for.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #287 of 2,994
Awesome post
ph34r.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #288 of 2,994

Quote:
If your friend is very passionate about music and cannot and do not want to do anything else with her life, even if she wont' be able to make a decent living in music, then it's a sacrifice she'll have to accept. Also, if she's going the mainstream route, then she'll also need to accept the fact she'll have to deal with the politics, record company control, and probably be forced to be an all-around entertainer instead of focusing on music alone (such as acting, modeling, product endorsement, and so on). If she's going to be "serious" about music, then she'll likely not make enough money to even earn a proper living, but she'll get to concentrate on just music. If she's also talented creatively, she could also work behind the scenes as a songwriter, composer, arranger...etc, and it's possible to earn a decent living that way, although the money one makes will pale compared to many other normal jobs out there (unless you become a sought after name who's made one hit after another).

It's all kind of complicated, and while I was thinking about how to explain it all, I realized I can't do it without writing an entire essay on the state of the music industry, the difference between western and eastern audiences, the differences between mainstream and non-mainstream, the inner politics of the idol manufacturing business, the aspirations, priorities, and lifestyles of the idols vs. the "serious" musicians, how and why the music industry has changed since the internet and how it affects everyone in the industry, including how they earn their income, and how the entertainment industry works overall. Hell, it could be book-length by the time I'm done.

I'll talk about my general thoughts about the relationship between the audience and the music industry though. The whole mainstream pop vs. underground/indie/non-mainstream genres debate rests on one thing only, and that is the overall taste of the local audience. If a large percentage of the general audience dislikes your products, then you won't sell, period. So when stuff does sell very well, then it's simply a reflection of the general taste of the population. The truth is, the largest portion of the general audience has "average" taste, and average is synonymous with "mediocre." So, why are we even surprised that most of the music out there is mediocre? It's because they are catered to the mainstream audience, made up of mediocre tastes. It's not as if you give the mainstream audience something with much higher musical merit, they'll all of a sudden embrace it and have their tastes elevated--it doesn't work like that. A lot of what makes music more sophisticated is lost on the uneducated ears of the mainstream audience, and they can only understand the most obvious, soothing, and catchy approaches to melody and rhythm. That is what pop music does so well--obvious catchy productions that are also kind of soothing and fun. Add beautiful looking people with sex appeal, and is it any wonder it's remained the selling formula since the invention of modern media?

While I'm a "serious" musician, I can also appreciate how much work it goes into making really good pop music, and how hard the idol popstars must work in order to be the best at what they do--from training, rehearsals, to maintaining their looks, working insane hours, and always have great attitude and keeping the audience entertained and happy. I'm objective enough to know to separate the image from the music. I may find a popstar very attractive and charismatic, but if the music is not good, I won't listen to it--I'll just watch that person on variety shows and enjoy her charismatic personality. But the average person isn't that logical; they would accept that popstar as a whole package, and support him/her in every way.

S.E. Asian audiences are easily manipulated compared to Western audiences, because Asian culture emphasizes harmony and homogenization as opposed to individuality like the West. The pack mentality of "we" supporting "our" favorite popstar becomes a powerful force in promoting popstars. Idol stars are presented as idealized versions of what the opposite sex desires, and the audience has this tendency to "support" the popstar they are the most attracted to, and that includes buying their albums even if they aren't great singers, watching their movies and TV shows, even if they aren't great actors, and buying the products they endorse, because they want to feel closer to the person they worship and put on a pedestal.

There will always be the mediocre Popstars who just get by on looks (this seems to a more prevalent problem in the J-Pop industry than the Korean or C-Pop industry), have no real passion for music, only wants fame and attention, and are happy and content to be used as money-making puppets by the record company, as long as it keeps them famous. We can all tell who they are, as their singing is mediocre, and they have never expressed any real tangible passion for music in interviews or in their private lives. If the audience found that hard to stomach, they would simply vote with their wallets, but the fact these pretty faces with no talent are allowed to exist only proves that the audience is to blame for their shallow tastes. So next time, before you start pointing fingers at the music industry, you should turn to the people in your lives--your family and friends and co-workers, and ask them why they have such shallow tastes in music and why they continue to support bad music.

Even in the non-mainstream pop, such as the most current Japanese visual kei bands that were posted in this thread (the ones that look like they just walked out of a Final Fantasy video game) there's still that really shallow element, such as the clothes and makeup being so extreme that the members look like colorful transvestite clowns. If music was all that mattered, then why bother with the visual stuff in such an extreme manner? The West went through that phase in the 80's with the big-haired partying hard-rock bands, and when the grunge movement came onto the scene, it made all the big-haired bubblegum rock bands look like a bunch of clowns. People suddenly woke up and said, "Wow, we've been idiots for liking that transvestite clown look." The message behind the grunge movement also made the 80's big hair rock seem very shallow as well, and that also changed everything in the music industry. People became more sensitive to socio-political issues, and they cared if their music had meaning. But eventually, people got tired of being serious and wanted to have fun again.

Truth is, we are visual animals, and we care about how things look. Every genre of music has an associate look. Look at how classical musicians are dressed. Same with rock musicians, hip-hop artists, industrial/goth musicians, jazz musicians, punk musicians, and so on. How "normal" the look is doesn't necessarily reflect how "serious" the music is either. There are plenty of T-shirt and jeans musicians who make crappy music, and really theatrical looking bands making incredible music. The fact of the matter is, when I'm just listening to music, I can't see the visuals, and I only care if the music is any good. That is the real acid test for me--everything else is just added bonus or a distraction.

Today, with the democratization of the internet, we pretty much can find all kinds of styles of music, with each genre has its own niche audience, and continues to move forward despite whether they are part of the mainstream. The people who are making the music may not be able to make a living at it, but they continue to release music because it's what they love to do in their free time when they are not working a full-time or part-time job.

As for mainstream pop vs. "serious" music, I'll just say that in my music collection, the highest rated tracks span all genres, and in fact, I probably have more highly rated tracks in the mainstream pop genre than I do of classical or jazz--probably about the same number as underground/indie/film & game soundtracks. It is a misconception that pop music is easy to write. Mediocre pop music is easy to write, but excellent pop music is not easy at all. I know composer who are snobby classical and jazz guys, and I've seen them try to make pop music, and they sucked at it. There was no sense of excitement, no stylistic authenticity, the melody and rhythm was boring, and the arrangement was laughably dated sounding. But on the other hand, I've also seen pop musicians and underground musicians try to make more respectable music like jazz or classical, and they often sucked too. Many of them lacked the level of musicianship required to pull off those styles.

So in the end, I think genre doesn't really matter--it's quality that counts. In every genre, there are idiosyncratic knowledge and skills you need to have in order to produce superior or interesting results. Personally, I like well-rounded musicians. The more diverse and well-versed a musician is in various genres, the more well-rounded he is overall in knowledge and skill. This applies to singers too, such as being able to sing not just standard pop, but also jazz, rock, and other styles. This isn't to say that musical artists HAVE to have a wide range--it's simply something I personally find more interesting and have great respect for.

Amazing post! Probably the most informative one here yet! I think this thread is more about discussion of Asian music in addition to posting artists that we think are good. I forwarded this to some friends that might find this interesting. I'm not sure whether to send it to my friend in Hong Kong though. I suspect she may already know the difficulties and I don't want to interfere with her confidence.

I find it strange that Asians put so much emphasis in learning music, yet when pop music is involved nobody really cares. I don't think Asians are generally that uneducated when it comes to music. My parents made me learn some classical instruments and I sucked but I don't really know why I was learning it. I suppose it's a way for parents to show off their kids, but I was into much flashier things. I was into those transvestite clown shred guitars
biggrin.gif
  I guess Asian pop music mostly caters to the immature though I'm still a bit perplexed as to why they seem to be more educated in music yet they manufacture idols with questionable musical ability.

I'm surprised that you think JPOP is worse than CPOP. I really have difficulty finding any good Hong Kong artists. In fact, China's completely banning of certain types of music should already make it an almost hopeless country to find real musical talent and expression. Unless it's about love or how great China is, I don't find much else in CPop. Japan on the other hand just seems to have far more variety. They have a LOT more idols, but there are plenty of hip hop and rock groups to satisfy others.

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #289 of 2,994

Quote:
I find it strange that Asians put so much emphasis in learning music, yet when pop music is involved nobody really cares. I don't think Asians are generally that uneducated when it comes to music. My parents made me learn some classical instruments and I sucked but I don't really know why I was learning it. I suppose it's a way for parents to show off their kids, but I was into much flashier things. I was into those transvestite clown shred guitars
biggrin.gif
  I guess Asian pop music mostly caters to the immature though I'm still a bit perplexed as to why they seem to be more educated in music yet they manufacture idols with questionable musical ability.

I'm surprised that you think JPOP is worse than CPOP. I really have difficulty finding any good Hong Kong artists. In fact, China's completely banning of certain types of music should already make it an almost hopeless country to find real musical talent and expression. Unless it's about love or how great China is, I don't find much else in CPop. Japan on the other hand just seems to have far more variety. They have a LOT more idols, but there are plenty of hip hop and rock groups to satisfy others.

While Asian kids are routinely forced to learn to play classical instruments, it doesn't really have much bearing on their understanding of what makes music compelling. It's exactly like the Asian educational system where students are force-fed like geese and made to memorize facts instead of learn critical thinking and creative problem solving. So, even if someone took years of piano or violin lessons, they are doing it sleepwalking without ever learning what it means to be creative--they just reproduce the sheet music like robots. Asian education and culture does not promote creativity and individual thinking--that is the main culprit. Also, because in Asia there is no rich history of distinct musical movements that had direct impact on societal transformations throughout the 20th Century such as in the West with jazz, rock & roll, disco, punk, hip-hop, grunge, goth...etc, the understanding of those movements and genres are superficial in Asia, if there's even any understanding at all among the general public. 

I didn't mean to say that J-Pop is worse than C-Pop--I'd be crazy to think that. The range of musical styles and level of musical accomplishments overall in Japan completely destroys the entire Chinese music industry--from Hong Kong to Taiwan to China. I was specifically addressing the prevalent problem of Japanese entertainment companies targeting attractive looking kids regardless if they had any talent whatsoever. While all countries are guilty of this to some degree, Japan is one of the worst offenders in terms of how brazen they are.

Japan has no shortage of very talented people, but they also have an abundance of cute kids and teenagers that couldn't sing or act their way out of a paper bag, yet they are ridiculously famous for just being cute, and continues to release albums and act in movies or TV shows. This is the "idol worship" syndrome I mentioned previously, where the fans are only supporting an idol because of attraction and not much else.

The gravure idols industry is part of the problem, where good looking people are pushed to also be singers and actors when they are barely competent as models. Being good-looking alone is not enough to be a good model--one needs to also have the right attitude, posture, connection with the camera, understanding of the expressiveness of body language, and so on. Many of the gravure models are awkward and clumsy, with no charisma other than being kind of dorky and smile at the camera. They would flunk out immediately as professional models if they were judged by professional standards. But it's precisely because they are awkward and clumsy that they have the "girl next door" appeal; it makes them seem a lot more accessible and approachable than a very slick professional fashion model or a sex-Goddess glamor model. This is one of the source of the problem--that being awkward and clumsy actually makes them more appealing. So what we see is a market based on selling ineptitude, by packaging it as a romantic/sexual fantasy for the average male--those who couldn't score with a cute girl even if their lives depended on it. It seems the younger and more inept and awkward these cute girls are, the crazier the fans get, because it mirrors their own awkwardness and makes the fans feel closer to the idol.

I'm obviously addressing a very specific scenario that's prevalent in Japan, and I have tons of respect for many musical artists in Japan who have nothing to do with that above described scenario. The list of musical artist recommendations I posted are dominated by Japanese artists--I think that's pretty self-explanatory. Also, if we just look at the most accomplished Asian musicians that's respected world-wide, Japan is leading country, with incredible talents like Sakamoto Ryuichi, Hotei Tomoyasu, Tak Matsumoto, Yamaoka Akira, Uematsu Nobuo, Kanno Yoko, Akira Jimbo, Watanabe Kazumi...etc. No other Asian country has such a large roster of world-renowned musicians and composers.

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #290 of 2,994
0.0 As a Chinese, today, the C-pop is just so-so for me . I'm just interested in Fish Leong (梁静茹).
And in the begin of last century, there used to be lots awesome Cantonese songs, I think. As for the 70s~90s, Teresa Teng (邓丽君) and Wong Ka Kui (黄家驹) were the most popular.
And then 0.0 maybe the Jacky Cheung.........I'm not sure......

For me, although I'm not very familiar with Japanese music, I should say that Sound Horizon is a really nice band you shouldn't miss!

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #291 of 2,994

Quote:
0.0 As a Chinese, today, the C-pop is just so-so for me . I'm just interested in Fish Leong (梁静茹).
And in the begin of last century, there used to be lots awesome Cantonese songs, I think. As for the 70s~90s, Teresa Teng (邓丽君) and Wong Ka Kui (黄家驹) were the most popular.
And then 0.0 maybe the Jacky Cheung.........I'm not sure......

For me, although I'm not very familiar with Japanese music, I should say that Sound Horizon is a really nice band you shouldn't miss!

Yay, +1 for Fish Leong. I love her songs!

For Cantonese songs, I mainly listen to Joey Yung (容祖兒), Eason Chan (陳奕迅), Janice Vidal (衛蘭), and some of Twins' albums.

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #292 of 2,994
First off, great post Lunatique.

I'm not sure how to respond really.  To be honest, growing up Asian-American I never really gave much thought to the differences between the two music industries.  I'm not going to write an essay on how cultural differences affect values, obligations, priorities, and what not which in turn affect everything else; but that's what it boils down to mostly in my opinion.  The Asian education system is a prime example, just try teaching English in Japan, China, or Korea and you'll see.  Although I will say that while it doesn't promote creativity necessarily, perhaps there is some merit to it in how it promotes technical execution?

This is also somewhat skewed as I have always been under the impression that mainstream SE Asian music will always be slanted to a degree in emulation of their Western counterpart, but not vice-versa.  Imagine how the music industry might be different today if WWII had ended on a different note.  I'm not necessarily saying that the West influences the East more, but I would say this is the case for the music industry.  Any thoughts?

For me I guess, appreciating music isn't always limited to the aural performance of an artist.  There are times when I'll listen to visual kei or Marilyn Manson more for identity than the actual music, times when I just want to listen to bubblegum pop and be mesmerized by groups like Girls Generation or 4Minute, times when I want to sit back and sing along to ballads with Olivia Ong or Utada Hikaru, and times when I just want to close my eyes and fall asleep to Joe Hisaishi or Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Cheers

dt880smile.png

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #294 of 2,994

Quote:
I'm not necessarily saying that the West influences the East more, but I would say this is the case for the music industry.  Any thoughts?

Objectively speaking, the West has influenced the entire planet in just about every way possible, and no other culture has had the same level of influence as western culture. There really is no way for anyone to deny this. Just consider the following:

-The modern clothes we wear--it's all based on western fashion developments throughout history.

-Most important modern technologies we use everyday have come from western developments--computers, internet, telephone, television, movies, recording/playback, cars, airplanes, military, bicycles--the list goes on and on. 

-Modern medical science we rely on was developed in the west. In fact, many modern science we depend on was discovered and developed in the west, such as electricity, industrial revolution, wireless, automated factories, nuclear power, solar power...etc.

-Modern political systems and government structures are all developed from the west. Although communism is thought of as an Eastern movement, its origins date back to Greece, described in Plato's Republic. Also, I would argue that Russian/Eastern Slavic history is more or less a western one and does not share much in common with most other Asian cultures. 

-Modern philosophies are all rooted in the west.

-Modern arts and entertainment are all shaped and developed in the west. While local cultures have more or less presence depending on the country, it's undeniable that when we think about design, painting, drawing, photography, sculpture, animation, film, television, video games, sports...etc, we see clearly that so much of it was invented, developed, and made popular by the West.

-Modern educational systems are based on the models developed in the West.

Most modern human beings on the planet have been mostly the product of western civilization--from the way we think, the things we know, the way we dress, the things we use, where we live, to the things we experience with our senses.

So is it any wonder that Western musical influences dominate? From classical, jazz, rock, pop. folk, electronic, hip-hop, RnB, funk, fusion, punk, goth, metal, industrial, reggae, bossa nova, to just about any genre that's not completely traditional or ethnic in nature, is western. While some countries try to insert their own culture into these modern genres, the entire infrastructure of modern music is completely western in roots and development. 

I know this is hard to swallow for some people who have a lot of ethnic pride, but it's simply reality. To deny it would be to deny you're human. Personally, I really prefer that all human beings simply forgot about ethnic, national, cultural, political, or religious boundaries and simply think of ourselves as just earthlings. It'll instantly stop most of the conflicts in the world. But it'll never happen, short of an alien invasion to finally unite all mankind under one banner. But as soon as we beat the aliens, we'll go right back to fighting among ourselves. Such is human nature.

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #295 of 2,994
Quote:
Personally, I really prefer that all human beings simply forgot about ethnic, national, cultural, political, or religious boundaries and simply think of ourselves as just earthlings. It'll instantly stop most of the conflicts in the world. But it'll never happen, short of an alien invasion to finally unite all mankind under one banner. But as soon as we beat the aliens, we'll go right back to fighting among ourselves. Such is human nature.

x2

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #296 of 2,994

Speaking of great Asian composers, I think this Nobuo Uematsu holding a Stax O2 mk1 while wearing a Sony CD900ST.
biggrin.gif
It was in a link that maverickronin posted in the Beats thread
tongue.gif

Lunatique, I'm a big fan of your posts. From music to equalization to neutrality, it is all really informative. However, without China there would be no pasta.
The problem with JPOP and talentless kids is also in KPOP. One of my friends' friends was modeling in South Korea, but suddenly he showed up in some boy band and started doing tours. That guy never had any interest in music. Actually, I think he was only interested in himself
biggrin.gif

I've never watched any gravure videos. Any suggestions?

Speaking of sex goddess

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #298 of 2,994

Quote:

Speaking of great Asian composers, I think this Nobuo Uematsu holding a Stax O2 mk1 while wearing a Sony CD900ST.
biggrin.gif
It was in a link that maverickronin posted in the Beats thread
tongue.gif

Lunatique, I'm a big fan of your posts. From music to equalization to neutrality, it is all really informative. However, without China there would be no pasta.
The problem with JPOP and talentless kids is also in KPOP. One of my friends' friends was modeling in South Korea, but suddenly he showed up in some boy band and started doing tours. That guy never had any interest in music. Actually, I think he was only interested in himself
biggrin.gif

I've never watched any gravure videos. Any suggestions?

Speaking of sex goddess

Ah, I like Nobuo Uematsu's music as well. Gotta love the Final Fantasy series.
wink_face.gif

As for the music video....I had to stop it half way through since I couldn't stand her monotonous voice. >_<

Actually, that reminds me of Jolin Tsai's modern songs (although I do find her songs catchy):

Mind the YouTube quality...

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #300 of 2,994
Most popular asian music isn't really based on how the music sounds.
It's all skinny koreans dressed in short shorts shaking their bottoms,
autotune, etc.

I can't tell who's who. They all dress the same, sound the same, dance the same. 

I like bands like Great Spy Experiment. Their songs aren't technically
as great and complex as Trivium/etc, lyrics aren't as poetic as Rise Against's,
but I like their tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back