Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Aug 14, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #256 of 2,994

not trying to be rude or anything but, i go to Korea for 1.5 months twice a year and i personally think kpop is rubbish. 

in my opinion, their songs are awful. they are really weird. maybe cause its different... I just can't stand listening to them in supermarkets etc. 

on TV, the male singers trys too hard be gangster while wearing really gay cloths, some of their hair style is really weird and it is the blondest I've ever seen. Some of them really need to get a tan. The female singers trys to be 13 year olds but they are really attractive.

but some of their non-kpop-y song is really good tho, like the slow ones....if you know what i mean..the ones without the (awful) rap

please remember this is only my personal opinion, I'm not trying to offend anyone who listens to kpop, i can understand how my post can offend you tho... I would never judge someone by the type of music they listen to.

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #257 of 2,994
If you spend 1.5 months in asia twice per year I'm surprised you think "they need to get a tan"

When was the last time an asian "needed to get a tan"?

"gay" clothes is mostly a comment from men insecure about their image.

"trying to be 13" well, you obviosly don't get the teenybopper thing either, I guess you're just too hardcore.

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #258 of 2,994

Quote:

not trying to be rude or anything but, i go to Korea for 1.5 months twice a year and i personally think kpop is rubbish. 

in my opinion, their songs are awful. they are really weird. maybe cause its different... I just can't stand listening to them in supermarkets etc. 

on TV, the male singers trys too hard be gangster while wearing really gay cloths, some of their hair style is really weird and it is the blondest I've ever seen. Some of them really need to get a tan. The female singers trys to be 13 year olds but they are really attractive.

but some of their non-kpop-y song is really good tho, like the slow ones....if you know what i mean..the ones without the (awful) rap

please remember this is only my personal opinion, I'm not trying to offend anyone who listens to kpop, i can understand how my post can offend you tho... I would never judge someone by the type of music they listen to.

lol, did somebody here said that kpop is not rubbish ? I also love Mcdonald's burgers...in fact it's my favorite food...

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #259 of 2,994
Well, KPOP is most certainly mostly about visuals (like HK music), but I can make most of the same criticisms with pop music from any country. The difference with Korean music is the almost complete absence of indie music. There just isn't room to make money in straight-forward music for serious Korean talents, though rarely you'd find a few.

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #260 of 2,994
+1

Quote:
Well, KPOP is most certainly mostly about visuals (like HK music), but I can make most of the same criticisms with pop music from any country. The difference with Korean music is the almost complete absence of indie music. There just isn't room to make money in straight-forward music for serious Korean talents, though rarely you'd find a few.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #261 of 2,994

Quote:

It doesn't really matter if you're not 'trying' to be rude. If someone perceives your manner as being rude - you are still being rude. If you hear someone say "No offence, but I think you're really ugly as heck", you don't respond by saying: Oh, that's fine! I guess it's just your opinion and we can all live happily ever after. No. 

Offence is offence inadvertent or not. 
This is where the phrase "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it all" stems from.

Before anything, keep in mind that I enjoy K-pop and most other pop music for that matter. Now also realise that Korea has a population of roughly 49 Million people. It would make sense not to cater for the few people who come '1,5 months twice a year'. Instead, the majority of the music produced is for the Korean public. Thus, coincidentally (or maybe not so much) the music is in Korean, in Korea with Korean producers being sold to Korean people. 

they are really weird. maybe cause its different
There is no 'maybe' to be considered here. The songs are obviously different to your preferences - so you don't like the music. This is understandable, as in general, the human race (and beings in general) tends to avoid change as much as possible, this is why in larger firms many companies employ change agents. 

on TV, the male singers trys too hard be gangster while wearing really gay cloths, some of their hair style is really weird and it is the blondest I've ever seen.
This again, is personal preference, and it stems from the fact that obviously what is shown in Korea is different to where you live (for the majority of the year). This is a significant part of your post that offends me, but not in a way that you would perceive. You use the word 'gay' as if it has a derogatory meaning "the male singers trys too hard to be gangster while wearing really gay cloths". Of course, I assume that you are still youthful and the word 'gay' is just a colloquial tendency that I find every boy aged 13 - 19 uses, nonetheless it does not excuse the fact that you are ignorant of the term. Either way, your ignorance shows when you continue to talk about hair style. 
Which is exactly that.
Style.
A 'style' is not driven by the mass, it stems from the bearers personality - which may in many instances be that of a conformist or other various social norms. The fact that you are disgruntled of their colour 'blondest' seems to stem not from an objective standpoint - but rather one that is racial. I will elaborate if you question me on this.

Some of them really need to get a tan. The female singers trys to be 13 year olds but they are really attractive.

Again this is all personal preference, but it shows a deeper side of your ignorance, not in regards to your social behaviour but rather that of your education. The complexions you see of Koreans on TV are not natural. Much editing occurs but mostly it is the work of a cosmetic product known to people as BB cream. However, you must consider the fact that in such a small space of land, the industrial development (particularly that of production factories) of various markets have created pollution levels which are able to reduce the input of Ultra Violet rays that reach the surface of land on Korea. This means that in a general sense, it is harder to get a tan. Coupled with the Korean culture of indoor activity, getting a tan is often impossible and difficult at best. This is again hindered by the fact that the Korean culture dictates whiteness with purity, health, clarity and other traditional elements (such as ancestral rights). 

If Koreans were to get a decent tan in Korea - their genetic make up would have to have been pre-determined in creating that particular complexion (which is mostly seen in Korea as an olive tone or slightly brown tone).

I'm not sure what to say about your comment on the female singers.

Hmm

Quote:
lol, did somebody here said that kpop is not rubbish ? I also love Mcdonald's burgers...in fact it's my favorite food...

Actually, If you read my first post - you would have discovered that I actually enjoy K-pop.
I also enjoy McDonald's burgers. 
I'm not sure why you would be so insecure as to try and validate your view of K-pop with a sarcastic analogy of food. 
I assume from such a post that you are extreme conformist - so much so that you are unable to realise that media in all forms, be they visual or auditory - are personal preference.

Quote:

Very true
cool.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #262 of 2,994

Quote:
If you hear someone say "No offence, but I think you're really ugly as heck", you don't respond by saying: Oh, that's fine! I guess it's just your opinion and we can all live happily ever after. No. 

And thus I automatically exclude myself from this you here. Try not to carpet-bomb all over the map.

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #263 of 2,994

Quote:

What a sad country.

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #266 of 2,994
Did someone say Korean Indie rock? 
biggrin.gif

Nemesis. Korean Visual Rock band. They've clearly been influenced by the likes of older 90's Japanese visual kei like Malice Mizer, but the flow of the music and feel is incredible. It also features a bit of your traditional Korean soft vocal which really works well. Ha Se Bin (guitarist) also composes most of there music which I really respect.

EVE. They've been through so many different member changes. G Gorilla was the original composer so it makes sense that there sound changed over the span.

Goodbye is actually a cover of a Nemesis song, but I like there version.

Gloria was released just last year. Is this the same EVE or is it another band?

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #267 of 2,994
Has anyone listened to Outsider before? I only know of his one famous song, "Alone":

I can't even speak the English translations that quickly. 
blink.gif

I also discovered Genku Sudo's Machine Civilization a couple months ago. It's not my favorite song from a sonic standpoint, but their music video is absolutely amazing, hahahahaha.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #269 of 2,994
     Quote:
Has anyone listened to Outsider before? I only know of his one famous song, "Alone":

I can't even speak the English translations that quickly. 
blink.gif

I also discovered Genku Sudo's Machine Civilization a couple months ago. It's not my favorite song from a sonic standpoint, but their music video is absolutely amazing, hahahahaha.

Well ****. Outsider: alone is something else. The beats and strings are undeniable good.

I actually ended up liking Genki Sudo's Machine Civilization more than I thought I would. Its just so...different from other Japanese stuff. The vocals at first reminded me of the vocaloid thing, but then I realized I liked the song. Its the way the song flows to me, the flow of the song is so different and unpoppy that the song immediately came off as alternative to me compared to other stuff.

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #270 of 2,994
Being an Asian American, I take pride in my heritage of a musical melting pot. It always make me cringe when I ask my other Asian Americans if they listen to music of their respective countries of origin, and they reply with something as indifferent as, "No, I don't because I don't understand it," or "No, it's stupid." I always tell them, music is music, even if you don't understand, or music comes first, lyrics second. To me, it feels like they're limiting themselves from a lot of amazing music. Anyway, I'm gonna list a few songs from Asia and reasons why I like them.

The first one, an easy pop cut from South Korea. He's one of the biggest stars in SK, someone likened to Justin Timberlake or Usher. Not the best singer, but more than makes it up with his dancing. I like this song particularly because of the musical arrangement, which is dance song with flecks of Gothic tones (mostly due to a menacing piano). Taeyang's "I'll Be There"

The second, a soft number by the already-mentioned Olivia Ong of Singapore. At first listen, she seemingly doesn't have the voice for jazz, but she definitely brings something unique to the table. She has the cuteness of K&J-pop, the emotions of jazz, and sings in a few languages. Olivia Ong's "Let It Rain"

The last is a song from the country of my ancestors, Vietnam. This piece is written by one of Vietnam's most prolific songwriters, Trinh Cong Son. He's been likened to Bob Dylan by music legend Joan Baez; his music tends to be sad, but powerfully so. His songs are still covered by many Vietnamese (and some Western and Japanese) artists today, but I'm presenting it by the singer most linked to his songwriting repertoire: Khanh Ly. She's the original singer of many of his songs.

The Vietnamese song above is roughly translated as "Like Wings of a Flying Crane," and the actual singing begins about 1:35 into the song. The following link is a translation to the lyrics as well as an explanation of the introduction at the beginning.
http://www.eversky.org/?p=1332

Users who are viewing this thread

Back