Asian Food-Fi
Oct 16, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #61 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In Vietnam, there are only 2 kinds of Pho, beef and chicken. The Pho that you have here is from Northern Vietnam. I personally prefer the Southern Vietnam. That's far better, especially the soup, very very delicious. The biggest difference I see between the American's Pho and real Vietnamese's Pho is in the ingredient. American Pho has a lot of meat while Vietnamese has a lot of vegetables. Vegetables play a big role in Pho's soup. We have many kinds of vegetable in Vietnam but it's not much here. Maybe meat is cheaper than vegetables here
frown.gif
I'm lucky enough that my hometown is considered to have the best Pho in Vietnam.

Well I have nothing to disagree with this, but just to add more infomation about Pho
biggrin.gif

Actually there are not just 2 kinds of Pho, there are some more but 2 main kinds are with beef and chicken (which I always prefer). It's true that Pho from Northern and Southern Vietnam are different. But the one from Northern is the truly traditional Vietnamese Pho. The big different about Southern's Pho is they tend to put seasoning powder and sugar in to make the soup a little bit sweet, which the people in the North don't. My hometown is in the south and I really enjoy Pho there, but in some places they put too much sugar in, and it makes the soup sweet like coke. Well I hate that
tongue.gif
. Apart from that I'm absolutely find with it. Yes I think Northern's Pho is the best, usually the beef Pho in the North is better than chicken's, because the beef makes the soup more tasty
icon10.gif

Yes vegetables is very important with Pho. There are 1-2 kinds of vegetables that must be use to make Pho. The others might be just optionals.

To be honest, I love most of Asian food like Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean, Indonesian, ect. They are absolutely delicious
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #62 of 99
What is the proper or best way to eat these?
In a lettuce wrap with the garnish (noodles/veges)? Or plain? If it is not served with lettuce do I ask for it? Or is this another North/South-thing?

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #63 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In a lettuce wrap with the garnish (noodles/veges)? Or plain? If it is not served with lettuce do I ask for it? Or is this another North/South-thing?

Eggrolls? It properly from China, I think. But the one you described sound like springrolls (not the fried one, fresh one). If that is what you was talking about then it should be served with lettuce
tongue_smile.gif

But as long as you enjoy, then that's fine
smile.gif
, doesn't need to be complicated
jecklinsmile.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #64 of 99
Quote:

I just had those the other day with lettuce, fresh mint, and pickled radish as garnish. I wrapped the rolls and the mint and the radish in the lettuce and ate it like that. I am not sure if that's how you eat it, but it tasted really good.

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #65 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex1pdx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just had those the other day with lettuce, fresh mint, and pickled radish as garnish. I wrapped the rolls and the mint and the radish in the lettuce and ate it like that. I am not sure if that's how you eat it, but it tasted really good.

Actually that's the way I eat Vietnamese eggrolls (the fried kind)

7b3583830bc2be28_m.jpg

But I get dirty looks for the wait-staff if I ask for lettuce or more lettuce.

I hate it when the dipping sauce drips down to my elbow.

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #66 of 99
Nasi Lemak, Lemang, Satay, Curry Laksa, Durian, Steamboat - the dipping kind, Steamed teo chu ginger fish ala Msia/Sing, Tom Yum like its done in Chengmai, Teh botol (sweet!), Anhdrite Briyani, Goan prawn curry rice + fenny, Ghee roast, Amok Fish - I NEED another vacation!! DAMN IT....... !

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #67 of 99
Quote:

Actually that's the way I eat Vietnamese eggrolls (the fried kind)

7b3583830bc2be28_m.jpg

But I get dirty looks for the wait-staff if I ask for lettuce or more lettuce.

I hate it when the dipping sauce drips down to my elbow.

Wow this is also one of my favorite
biggrin.gif
I really don't know that they call it "egg-roll" here. Eating it is very simple, just dap a roll into the fish sauce and have with some salad or lettuce. Lettuce is a must when eating this because it improves the flavor a lot. I don't why you got a dirty-look when asking for it lol.

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #71 of 99
both my friend both, and with all the sprouts, no cilantro thats not pho stuff, mint no as well, basil yes, peppers just a dip since it rapes my taste buds, and of course lime.

Don't forget ground pepper and plenty of green and white onions.

Thats how we do it at my house. I'm northern viet btw.

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #73 of 99
Basil??
Yes you are correct, Thai Basil;
800px-Thai_basil_with_flowers.jpg

I usually hold off on the lime unless I need it to counter the MSG. Peppers in the broth but not eaten. Either sauce depending on the richness of the broth and mood of the day. If the sprouts are fresh, no brown tips, in all goes in, with just the stem of the basil remaining.

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #74 of 99
I actually mix the red sauce with the dark one on a separate plate (usually the one that came with the sprouts and greens) and then dip the meat in it as I eat the soup. I really like the taste of the broth without any add-ons.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #75 of 99
seems here at head-fi we like to mod things other than headphones haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back