[Asian Event] The Mook Headphone Festival December 2013
Nov 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jaben

Member of the Trade: Jaben.Crossroads

Press Release

November 22, 2013 - Singapore - Jaben in conjunction with The Mook Company announce “The Mook Headphone Festival” will be held at the follow locations:

• Dec 8th: Intercontinental Hotel, Nanjing, China

• Dec 13 - 15th: Suntec Convention Centre, Singapore

Manufacturers who wish to participate in this event, please write to: info@themookcompany.com

See you in December!

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 10
What's a mook?

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 10
I thought you'd never ask.

Simplest, best definition is mook == an inconsequential, trivial or insignificant jakka$$.

Of course, to understand the use most exactly would require context but that is the idea without going into a story.

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 10
I guess they refer more to the Japanese term:

"Magazine + Book = Mook" A Japanese term used to describe magazines that cost more than a typical magazine and are generally bound more like a book and have harder covers

Jaben Singapore sells the Mook magazine, which is exactly like what is described above.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 10
I figured their use of Mook was not that to which I referred but then again if you peep some of those crazy T shirt designs and slogans in Japan or elsewhere in Asia, their uses of American phrases are obviously done without knowledge of the meaning.

Plus, it is more fun to think of the headline being the use of the word as I had described it.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 10
  I figured their use of Mook was not that to which I referred but then again if you peep some of those crazy T shirt designs and slogans in Japan or elsewhere in Asia, their uses of American phrases are obviously done without knowledge of the meaning.

Plus, it is more fun to think of the headline being the use of the word as I had described it.

Don't try to assume and make assumptions here that your earlier guesses was right, the actual fact is Jaben was not trying to be "fun" and play around with attemping to try and be rhetorical in creating their topic thread header with such a word term. It is basically as simple and true as what fellow Head-fi member earfonia had mentioned earlier, the usage of the term Mook was simply due to the fact that the Mook headphone festivals are co-organised with the help of The Mook Company, which were responsible for publishing the english translated versions of the official Headphone Books (URL: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4861711029/) usually published once annually. (the japanese editions were handled/published by CD Journal in Japan) I have answered someone's enquiry before regarding this word term before, as the word term "Mook" was originally derived from japanese magazine publishers in the first place so for people who are not familiar with japanese culture, most people out there may not be aware of this.

More info: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/80874035-post20.html

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 10
I will chalk your seemingly slightly hostile post to a language barrier.
Thus allow me to be clear.
First, that word does mean what I stated earlier in English(American).Surely, in all of your worldly experiences you have seen a word or name in one language have a completely different meaning in another and that it is a bit odd or amusing or just strange given the different contexts.
So that is all it was. An observation for a bit of a laugh. Nothing deep rooted about it.
Secondly, I understand the origination of the word in Japan. 
And while I do not speak Japanese, I am well received when I visit and enjoy my time and the culture. 

So, if you were merely trying to straighten me about some facts which I was already straight on, that is fine, no worries.
I hope that is all it was and not some lambasting which I do not deserve and would not tolerate.
If it was otherwise, well, that is your undertaking to continue if you so choose.

Cheers, la!

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 10
Nice to see an updated poster and news here. 

Haonan, see you there. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back