Asgard synergy with HD650 + Pico
Nov 16, 2010 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

add2music

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have bought Asgard for amping my HD650 with Pico DAC/Amp. I am using Pico HP out to feed Asgard with Pico gain set to high.My source is Mac 256kbps VBR / FLAC. Burn-in for Asgard is around 50hours. 

I could see Asgard is driving HD650 without any trouble. Comparing HP out of Pico and Asgard with HD650, i dont see very big change in sound spectrum. I have changed the gain settings of Pico to low, still no big change in sound spectrum. I am using amped signal to feed Asgard.

Is Asgard meant to be for low impedance cans ( or the synergy is good with Low impedance cans compared to higher ones ) ?
Do i need to have dedicated DAC ( in the place of Pico DAC/Amp )  to bring out HD650 completely ? 

your inputs are highly appreciated. 

PS: I dont see white marks / outer skin oily touch when Asgard becomes hot. Yes !! the bottom part of Asgard is considerably hot , we aren't going to keep them in our lap , are we ?? 

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 4
Just keep listening to the Asgard for a while, then when you feel you have a good fix on how it sounds, swap back to the Pico and see what you hear.  You may also need to address you interconnects.  The amp and source you have may be considered "entry" level by some, but it would still respond well to cable changes.  So I would hold off on the upgrades just for a bit.  No good upgrading if you cant hear the personalities of the gear you have now.  Just my two cents.

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for reply.

I had multiple listening sessions with Pico DAC/Amp and Pico DAC/Amp + Asgard. What I observed was, there is no change in High Frequencies with extension ( very slightly ) in Bass. 

Also, the sound lacks clarity when Pico gain is set to high and fed through Asgard. So, I am keeping Pico gain to low, No EQ while listening to Asgard.

The connector is standard supplied by Pico ( USB ) and Asgard ( RCA to 3.5mm) 

Not sure to keep Asgard or let go. 

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 4
Use the last few days of the generous Schiit return policy to make your final decision.  

You might also want to try re-burning one of your cds to cd quality, and then try comparing the sound with and without the Asgard.  

Garbage in... garbage out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back