Asgard 2 for HD600's and Monitor Speakers
Jun 29, 2014 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Fluency

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a DAC/Amp stack for the HD600 (as well as the ATH-M50's on occasion). I was originally looking at the Magni/Modi pairing, but I was thinking of upgrading the amp to the Asgard 2 because I would also like to add monitor speakers to my setup later on. From what I've read, the Asgard 2 would be able to power both the HD600's and monitor speakers. Out of curiosity, would it be able to power both at the same time?

I'm really just looking for opinions on the Asgard 2 in relation to other amps in the same price range. Any help would be much appreciated!

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 6
I have an audio setup with studio monitors and headphones.  Being in the same situation as yourself, I ended up getting a Magni/Modi for my HE-500s and using a splitter from the Modi to an emotiva Mini-X a-100, which amps my speakers.

I could be wrong, I don't think you should consider using a headphone amp like the Asgard to power speakers, since headphones in general have very different impedance and power requirements compared to speakers.

However, if you were to get active monitors, they wouldn't need an additional amp and you could just split the output from your DAC to the amp input on the back of the monitors.

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 6

I could be wrong, I don't think you should consider using a headphone amp like the Asgard to power speakers, since headphones in general have very different impedance and power requirements compared to speakers.

He just misunderstood how the Asgard figures with powered monitors and headphones...

From what I've read, the Asgard 2 would be able to power both the HD600's and monitor speakers. Out of curiosity, would it be able to power both at the same time?

...you technically don't power the speakers with the Asgard. Assuming what you're referring to are powered studio monitors like Samsons and KRKs (or the non-professional, master-slave versions like what Audioengine and Swan Speakers make), these already have an amplifier built into them. What the Asgard is for is just to put the volume control at a more convenient location as it has a preamp output on the back, whose output is variable (ie, controlled by its own volume knob), which is necessary considering studio monitors have one amplifeir circuit in each side and thus one each gain control (and usually at the back). Even the non-professional powered monitors may have the volume control on the front of one speaker, but it will usually still be hard to reach. 

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 6
...you technically don't power the speakers with the Asgard. Assuming what you're referring to are powered studio monitors like Samsons and KRKs (or the non-professional, master-slave versions like what Audioengine and Swan Speakers make), these already have an amplifier built into them. What the Asgard is for is just to put the volume control at a more convenient location as it has a preamp output on the back, whose output is variable (ie, controlled by its own volume knob), which is necessary considering studio monitors have one amplifeir circuit in each side and thus one each gain control (and usually at the back). Even the non-professional powered monitors may have the volume control on the front of one speaker, but it will usually still be hard to reach. 

Ah, I had totally misunderstood the purpose of the Asgard then. I had just read that it was able to provide power to monitor speakers and assumed it would also work as the sole amplifier for them. Since that's not the case, I'll probably go with the Magni as the Asgard 2 is not necessary for my setup. Thanks for the information, it helped a lot.

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Ah, I had totally misunderstood the purpose of the Asgard then. I had just read that it was able to provide power to monitor speakers and assumed it would also work as the sole amplifier for them. Since that's not the case, I'll probably go with the Magni as the Asgard 2 is not necessary for my setup. Thanks for the information, it helped a lot.

Note that basically means speakers, or more specifically professional studio active monitors, must not be in the plan as well. If you had the Asgard2, you can hook up powered studio monitors or a power amplifier(+passive speakers) to the preamp output. The BiFrost, unlike DACs with preamps in them, only has one analog output. Even if you use a Y-Splitter, active speakers will be inconvenient to use, especially professional monitors with their gain knobs on the back of each monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back