As promised, the direct comparo of Hornet vs. Move
Jul 21, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Move has no issue w/my 650s or 701s. The volume knob
ends up at about 1-2:00 but no s/q issues. Sounds absolutely fabulous w/both. Still on 2nd day of burn in so I am not putting anything in stone as to which of the hps sounds better.

Thanks for the input...

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #18 of 43
Excellent review Nate.

Jul 22, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #20 of 43
Great. I am inclined to buy Move for my portable use.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #21 of 43
Nate, I don't think rumatt was taking issue with you giving the edge in soundstage to the Move, but in putting "Hornet" in bold next to "Soundstage" as the label for that section.

You've bolded Hornet as the winner but called it for the Move.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record, how many hours of burn in on the Hornet? Thanks.

It's actually Boomana's Hornet on loan. I was told it has around 300 before she lost count, but since I've gotten it, I've left it on playing music continuously, so if anything, it'll have over 500 by the time it's returned, and I'll keep everybody posted on if the sound changes any.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nate, I don't think rumatt was taking issue with you giving the edge in soundstage to the Move, but in putting "Hornet" in bold next to "Soundstage" as the label for that section.

You've bolded Hornet as the winner but called it for the Move.

Ahh...yeah I understand. Like I said, I prefer the more upfront feel of the Move, but the hornet sounds just as large (if not maybe SLIGHTLY larger, but are a couple rows back).

I can't call it a tie, because the Hornets soundstage probably is infact slightly larger, but my preference goes to the Move for where I feel like I'm sitting. SO I can't say the Move wins just because of preference when quantatively, the Hornets is probably larger.

I keep saying probably, because at this point, I can't distinguish if it's because I'm farther back and can better make everything out, or if the moves staging makes it appear larger because I'm "closer to the singers". It's kinda confusing me to put it bluntly...

It's kinda like taking a picture a compact car(Move) and a midsize sedan(Hornet) with the compact car brought in closer so it appears bigger/the same size as the midsize sedan. The photo illusion makes it seem like they're the same size, but in actuality, one is smaller than the other. That's how I feel with these two amps, I can't tell if one is actually larger because of the positioning they each have...

Bah...now I'm babbling, lol.

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #24 of 43
Thanks for the pics and the review. The move looks significantly larger than the hornet. I didn't expect it to be so large.

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #25 of 43
Nate, could you comment on the crossfeed feature on the meier amp?

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #26 of 43
Nice review, and great to see the pictures. I was tossing up between these two and went with the Hornet, because the move looked a bit bigger than I thought it would be.

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #27 of 43
Agree with what other people have been saying. The Move looks a bit too sizeable to be portable for me.

And yet... I still want one
580smile.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #28 of 43
This pic was posted in the other Move thread and gives you a good idea of size:

Corda6.jpg

Looks a little wider and a tad thicker than a Hornet but still pretty portable. I'm on the fence with getting one of these. I'm very interested even though I have a Hornet. The price is sure reasonable enough and curiosity is starting to get the best of me.

Jul 22, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #29 of 43
It's not that much larger. It's about the same thickness, but the width isn't that much, it's the length that's bigger. It's not bad though.

The crossfeed works well. I only use it on some tracks as it doesn't seem to do much, if anything on some recordings. On some, it adds a little distortion....so it's hit and miss IMO. But it's not really anything worth mentioning as some people will never use it...like I said, I switch back and forth between it.

Jul 29, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #30 of 43
After over 100 hours of ADDED time onto Boomana's Hornet, it's definitly over 400 hours and.....it sounds the same, atleast to me. Me thinks it was already past 400 hours (if so, it's now over 500)cause there was no change in sound, slight grain, or anything in the review.

Maybe it is infact smooth, but in comparison to the Move, it's SLIGHTLY grainy...

In any case...you can't lose with either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back