Arvo Part's "Tabula Rasa"-Stunning!
Jul 3, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that's the Deutsche Gramophone disc with Gil Shaham and Neeme Jarvi. Admittedly, not my favorite version, but the beauty of the composition shines through.

As for vocals, I dig Kanon Pokajanen and the mini-vocal ensemble on the version of Stabat Mater on Arbos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 on both.

btw, kwitel, I remember you from the gorecki thread. Seems our taste in music meets again.

Guys, thanks for the responses but I am looking for the material without the vocals.

Boomana-love that Gorecki piece; it seems we both enjoy what I would term as romantic minamalism (if that even a genre). Have you since tried anything else by Gorecki?

BTW-I looked up the album you both think it is (on CDNOW) and this is how they present the album contents:

On this CD:

1. Ludus (With Movement) Listen
2. Silemtium (Without Movement) Listen
3. Movement 1 Listen
4. Movement 2 Listen
5. Movement 3 Listen

1. Fratres, for chamber ensemble
Composed by Arvo Part
with Roger Carlsson, Gil Shaham

2. Tabula rasa, concerto for 2 violins (or violin & viola), prepared piano & string orchestra
Composed by Arvo Part
with Gil Shaham, Erik Risberg, Adele Anthony

3. Symphony No. 3
Composed by Arvo Part
Performed by Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra
Conducted by Neeme Jarvi

First off, they say there are 5 seperate songs/pieces on this album, I have 6.
Just to be clear, do both "Ludus" and "Silentium" make up "Tabula Rasa"?
And if so, then where is "Fratres" in the five songs listed above?

Also, is symphony 3 part of Tabula Rasa?

Im a little confused.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, is symphony 3 part of Tabula Rasa?

Im a little confused.

Clarification: The composition "Tabula Rasa" has only two movements, Ludus and Silentium. Much of the time, however, when folks refer to "Tabula Rasa" they are actually talking about the ECM album, Tabula Rasa, that introduced the piece. The composition "Fratres" is also on that album.

Meanwhile, "Symphony, No. 3" is a completely different piece of music, but it's on the Deutsche Gramophone record featuring Gil Shaham and Neeme Jarvi that also includes versions of "Fratres" and "Tabula Rasa". I much prefer the ECM versions of both compositions: "Fratres" is played by Gidon Kremer and Keith Jarrett, while "Tabula Rasa" features Alfred Schnittke on prepared piano.

Hope this clears things up somewhat…I misunderstood the inquiry about vocals, but to answer the initial question, yes, I like Pärt's writing for voices. My faves are the same as I wrote up top.
beerchug.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #18 of 21
pretty amazing music. the first time i heard it was in movie 'There Will Be Blood', otherwise i wouldn't have known there was some Arvo Part. i personally like the part in the video the best. SQ on Youtube is awful but people who heard it know how good can it sound
wink_face.gif

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #19 of 21
My first exposure to Pärt was a live performance of Tabula Rasa in the early 90s. This was before Pärt become a household name and I had no idea what to expect (I was frankly there for the Bach that was also on the program). It was one of the strongest musical experiences of my life, the entire audience was, like myself, totally spellbound by the 15-minute diminuendo of the Silentium, afterwards exploding into a standing ovation that lasted for ages. You can get hooked on Pärt for less...

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #20 of 21
Irony is, when I first posted-I thought Tabula Rasa included Symphony #3.
It was symphony # 3 that I was referring to in my original post. Its fast becoming one of my favorite all time pieces of classical music.

After reading the responses in this thread, IO strated listening to "Ludus" and "Silentium" as well. Very different than his Symphony, but brilliant nonetheless.

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 21
I am a fan of this album as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back