Artists where you feel absolutely no separation from their spirit and their music
Aug 18, 2009 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
Some artists just have something which goes way beyond anything learnable in music class. This goes for all genres. Some artists, you can just feel their soul right there raw before you without any covering, without any pretention.

Not every artist has this, and it doesn't necessarilly make you better if you do have it, it's just one feature of an artist that some have.

I thought it would be nice to list artists below where you feel their music presents their soul before you naked and unashamed....

I'll start with a few....

Neil Young
Elliott Smith
Charlie Parker
Gustav Mahler
John Lennon

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by White_Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^I agree with all of those, but there's one glaring omission:

JANIS JOPLIN!

I wasn't intentionally omitting her:) There's many....

I think Ray Charles and Sam Cooke are about as naked as can be......it's heart breaking.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 23
NWA
Public Enemy
Bill Monroe
James Brown
Muddy Waters
R.L. Burnside
Lightnin' Hopkins
Townes Van Zandt
Howlin' Wolf
Loretta Lynn
Nirvana
Lucinda Williams
Jeff Tweedy
etc.

This is too easy.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 23
Eva Cassidy. Her recording of "Fields of Gold" is the most emotionally direct performance I have ever heard, without even a hint of histrionics.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 23
Julia Nunes
Not really well known. She isn't signed to a major label and she is mostly known from youtube. Ukulele ftw.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #7 of 23
red hot chili peppers
- each album reflects the state of the band really well, which is saying a lot considering the things the band went through. I gained a lot more respect for the songs on californication after learning about frusciante's history (the album was recorded right after he returned from near-death heroine addiction)

lynyrd skynyrd
- I'm not sure if this counts, but a couple of their songs (especially freebird) just give me chills when I think about the plane crash and everything that happened afterwards. even without thinking about any of that, theyre still a rather definitive southern rock group

john mayer
- I know this one seems odd, but mayer's music has changed significantly over the years and every one those changes seem to parallel his career (and personal life) quite well. Most of his "pop"ish songs were written when he was a new and young artist. Compared to his more recent works, which are much more blues and soul influenced

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #8 of 23
Jeff Mangum/Neutral Milk Hotel. "Oh, Comely" is home to the most heartfelt and heart breaking vocals that I have heard.

Aug 18, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #12 of 23
Radiohead
The Clash
Rage Against the Machine
Joy Division
Grizzly Bear
The Arcade Fire
Pinback
Public Enemy
Atmosphere
Shing02
Eyedea