Artists appreciated after a change in amp/source/HP?
Jan 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tyson

Headphoneus Supremus
Any artists that you grew to appreciate more after making a change in your system?

It recently happened with me regarding three artists:

Led Zeppelin
David Bowie (early stuff)
Bob Dylan

All of them have less-than-great recording quality. I recently got a pair of VTL MB-125 tube monoblocks to drive my VMPS RM40 speakers with (well, I'm bi-amping, with the VTL's on the mid/highs, and the audio-gd C1 solid state amp on the woofers). Anyway, I respected each artist before, but didn't really love them. That has changed, most dramatically in the case of Dylan. Before, I found his vocal presentation a bit irritating. But, now with the tube amps I hear mroe humanity and (dare I say the word) genius in what he's doing.

Do you have any similar experiences?

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 10
Dire Straits,

Bob Dylan,

Tom Jones,

Iron Maiden,

AC/DC.

before ..i used to find the metal too harsh on my ears.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 10
After I bought a good pair of Audio Technica headphones, I started listening to trance music.. I never thought I could get into that stuff, but artists like Sphongle, Hallucinogen, and Infected Mushroom sound pretty amazing on quality headphones imho..

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 10
Similar experiences here. With each improvement in my equipment, the poorly recorded or re-mastered albums are much more listenable. Two CDs of Chopin's Nocturnes, one of Sergio Fiorentino from an LP and one of Dino Ciani from a rather poor live concert tape are magical. Without the more resolving equipment, I just couldn't hear enough detail to separate the music from the noise.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of them.

Hehe, good answer
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 10
Not necessarily artists, but it absolutely helped me to appreciate jazz more than I ever had. The gear has also given me a deeper appreciation of classical than I had.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #8 of 10
Once I put everything to flac vs having just vbr mp3 in the past. Everything opened up more especially Fleetwood Mac, and I mean these guys may pass up Led Zeppelin for me and that's huge in my book.

pink

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 10
Yeah, probably all of them.
Not that I did not appreciate them earlier. But its on another level now...

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 10
A tube amp, with all the distortion that it brings to music, really improves everything. While I know that high quality digital sound reproduction is the most accurate, that tube amp is like candlelight on an aging woman's face. It smooths out all the wrinkles and gives the illusion of youthful beauty. The tube amp works the same magic. It just makes everything sound so much better to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back