Artist you're glad you gave a second chance
Sep 3, 2007 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Digitalbath3737

500+ Head-Fier
A few months ago I bought Bachelor No. 2 by Aimee Mann. Nothing special about the album but for some reason I kept playing it over and over, hoping that something would click. That didn't happen. But I knew there was potential in Aimee Mann so I picked up Lost in Space and WOW! This album hit the freakin' spot! I'm glad I didn't just write her off.

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 22
Circa Survive. I bought their first CD, listened to the first 5 songs, and decided I didn't like it. Well, about 6 months later, I played it again, and it quickly grew to be one of my top 5 CDs of that summer.

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 22
TV On The Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

Had pretty much dismissed them; it took a few spins, but this album finally won me over in a big way.

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

Seemed a little too copycat cutesy at first, but then I realized that the songs stayed with me.

Sep 4, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 22
System of a Down - I first tried sitting through Toxicity (the album) a few years ago, and promptly shut it off in the middle of "Needles." I heard Toxicity (the song) somewhere a few months later and gave the album another try. System became my favorite band for 6 months.

Fountains of Wayne - Bought Welcome Interstate Managers because it was $5. I thought it was okay, but way too long. I always lost interest around "Hey Julie." I decided to sit through the whole thing about 5 months ago, and almost all the songs just stuck in my head. It was in heavy rotation for a while, and I still listen to it a lot.

Sep 4, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 22
Pearl Jam - A friend introduced me, after five minutes of listening I decided I hated it. Now they're one of my favourite bands of all time.

Dave Mathews Band - Same as above. I was in my boom boom phase. To be young and stupid again...

This however leads me to another question. How many artists are we glossing over today, that very well might find their way onto a thread like this in the future?

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 22
Postal Service - Give Up
I bought Give Up because I'm a big Death Cab fan and immediately didn't like it. I don't know exactly why I disliked it so much after that first listen but I did. It just rubbed me the wrong way I guess. I was in a giving mood and gave the cd to my little sister who immediately loved it.

It was a couple of months down the road I heard it again at a friend's house and asked my sister to make me a copy of the cd I gave her. I don't count it as one of my all time favorite albums of all time, but I definitely like it.

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 22
Isis
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Godspeed you! Black Emperor
Meshuggah

Basically just bands that we're too unique, too dissimilar to what I had ever heard before.

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 22
kramer5150:

I am pretty sure we listen to about the same music! Every time you coment on music I feel the same way and also own the CDs.

Though we both just might have a lot of music. I have about 1,500 digital albums lossless/320vbs...well over a terabyte of hard drive space (400 actual CDs).

As for me Pearl Jam would be the band I over looked for years. I have had and sold "Ten" about 4 times and now I own all of their albums. They also recorded pretty well.

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #14 of 22
Patricia Barber

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #15 of 22
The Grateful Dead. I bought Live/Dead when it first came out on CD. "What's this?" I asked myself ... "Greatest Live Album ever my arse!"

Some years later I took an enormous punt on the Beyond Description boxed set and have never looked back since.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back