Article on Outrageous Audiophile Equipment
Oct 11, 2007 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

luckypictures

500+ Head-Fier
I'm borrowing the tittle from them, as some of it isn't so much outrageous, as it is just flat out expensive. I'm sure some audiophiles here can justify the price. But it's a good gathering of equipment anyway.

CLICK HERE

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 43
No Orpheus or Nordost cables? Forshame

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 43
Some of it is ridiculous, but they have to admit that cable are microphonic and isolation would help, even if not truly necessary, if you have everything else you might as well make sure that isn't killing your setup. An tweeters definitely can improve your system, though you should be able to get them for less than $400. The $71 dollar 6-foot power cable doesn't seem terribly overpriced. I can see how a lot of those things are pointless, but there are a few there that aren't, and not all audiophiles use that type of stuff. Too much stereotyping and ignorance in that article. But that's what I've come to expect from Gizmodo.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too much stereotyping and ignorance in that article. But that's what I've come to expect from Gizmodo.

That's because they didn't write the article it solicited items from their readers and obviously they are not audiophiles.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 43
Nice article!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Gaku-On amplifier looks stunning. /me want one for the Stax rig..

medium_1536553452_be3450e910_o.jpg

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice article!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Gaku-On amplifier looks stunning. /me want one for the Stax rig..

medium_1536553452_be3450e910_o.jpg

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!

Actually, the one thing I really like, is the one that points to the DIY cat5 cable. There's actually some useful information there, and from that site, a link to a DIY parts site.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 43
I like the telephone one the best.
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 43
This article stops short of covering "outrageous". Patrick isn't mentioned in it once.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 43
Only these items are really outrageous:

Magic CD Stone
Shakti Stone
Shakti Hallograph
Marigo Labs Signature 3-D Mat
Codename Turquoise Masking Kit
Brilliant Pebbles
Clever Clock Array
Furutech Demagnetizer
Acoustic System Resonators
Teleportation Tweak
Stop Light Pen

The above literally do nothing.

Everything else is just expensive.
Notice I left out the "Cradle Of Silence". If I'm wealthy, then that's exactly how I want my Odin cables displayed
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only these items are really outrageous:

Magic CD Stone
Shakti Stone
Shakti Hallograph
Marigo Labs Signature 3-D Mat
Codename Turquoise Masking Kit
Brilliant Pebbles
Clever Clock Array
Furutech Demagnetizer
Acoustic System Resonators
Teleportation Tweak
Stop Light Pen

The above literally do nothing.

Everything else is just expensive.
Notice I left out the "Cradle Of Silence". If I'm wealthy, then that's exactly how I want my Odin cables displayed
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm old enough to remember George Tice's clock. This kind of hoax has been going on for ages.

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 43
I have no doubt that Gaku-On sounds nice. I heard Ongaku and it sounds wonderful.

My point being some of these thing are scams and are worthless, some just overpriced or made with the philosophy of "price is no object".

When you start making things like Ongaku you end up investing huge amount of time in research and tinkering with parts and design. You also use the most expensive materials and parts for minuscule improvements in sound. All this leads to outrageous prices, but if someone got the money and buys a painting for 1 million, why not buy an amp for $60K. Ongaku is both art and stereo equipment. Everyone has different levels of gullibility and than there are things like placebo effect. Sorry for the rant.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back