Article: In Defense of Audiophiles
Dec 5, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be sure to read the actual articles he quotes. His characterization of the Tommasini in particular is not very accurate, as he attributes to Tommasini statements of others that Tommasini is commenting on.

Will do.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #17 of 30
the thing is the vast majority of people don't care about quality reproduction of music and/or don't want to sit at home and dedicate time to listen. what the general population wants and does care about is having something that is small, portable, holds a lot of music, can get their foot tapping or head bobbing on the train or walk to work/class and comes in their favorite color - hence the ipod.

just like others mentioned, someone who is interested in photography is going to spend time learning about the hobby and buy a decent camera, while the rest - the vast rest - will be happy enough with their camera phone because it takes good enough pictures for them and their purposes.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amen, brother! The venom that I've seen directed towards people with nice setups is unbelievable. We're all idiots, brainwashed, delusional, etc. Of course, they've never actually heard a hi-fi setup, but the TV and the internet say so, so why should they use critical thinking skills?

Really? I haven't seen that, and I've got over 100 posts in The Stax Thread.

Do you mean cables or amps/sources or headphones?

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #19 of 30
I read the Tommasini article, and there was something that I also recall seeing in the main article...

Quote:

A "cymbal crash in a symphonic orchestra, for example, will temporarily obscure the sound of other instruments," he writes. "So why not remove some of the covered sounds, which could not be heard anyway, to compress the file into a transferable format?"

This is totally false. A cymbal crash does not drown out the other instruments in a good setup. It might be the loudest instrument, but a revealing playback system feeding into headphones with good instrument separation will easily let you hear the other instruments in the background. In fact, a really good setup will let you hear the cymbal in the "space" between the other instruments.

I wonder if this could be the missing link, so to speak, between the lo-fi and hi-fi crowd. In other words, I'm not sure the lo-fi crowd is aware of what goes on in highly revealing systems. Until you've driven a car that does 0 to 60 in five seconds, you don't know what it feels like to be pinned back into the seat when you hit the pedal; as far as you're concerned, when someone talks about it, you just think they're bragging and using "flowery language."

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I haven't seen that, and I've got over 100 posts in The Stax Thread.

Do you mean cables or amps/sources or headphones?

Mostly cables, but a fair amount on amps/sources, and virtually nothing on headphones.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #21 of 30
We don't expect audiophiles to have good taste in music or understand music history or theory - instead just that they can tell good recording and engineering from bad. Certainly we don't expect them to have even decent appreciation in other areas like the other pop arts one step away (generally peoples taste in movies here has been repeatedly shown to be quite awful - wanting simply the thrill of a sword fight or a CGI replicated spacecraft). Is it really surprising when artistic choices by audiophiles are often made by emotional utility that the equipment used by people even less focused on music would be made based on convenience?

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #22 of 30
Blessingx, sorry man, but I'm not sure which camp that jib is directed at.

I can't say I agree though. I'm most certainly an appreciator of the arts, be it painting, photography, music and some cinema...

... but I also love schlock. Perhaps this gives me a better balance in perspective, but I thought the article was fairly well balanced in its criticisms (please note I have not yet read the two articles referenced in the piece) as he made his point for the high-end crowd without dismissing the clear mass-allure and benefits of mainstream audio formats. In fact, he admitted to enjoying the convenience aspects.

Just the same, snobbery on either side of the argument is simple wankery by folks who refuse to accept that people have different tastes and opinions than themselves, and just like to hear themselves talk. Much like I'm doing right now!
icon10.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #23 of 30
I too think the article is rather overly defensive.

While I hold different values than the two authors mentioned, they do, after all, have different priorities. And, who can blame them. One is deaf and the other doesn't get his kicks out of a high end system.

And, I too wouldn't spend ungodly amount of money on high end audio either although I do appreciate them when I hear one on rare occasions.

I did sell my vinyl set up because I hate getting up from my chair every 20 mins to flips sides. And, recently, I've switched over to PC audio and now MP3 audio out of convenience. Listening thru foobar is simply a joy. Listening to my MP3 at the office is a much appreciated convenience too.

Another case in point, you can't expect everyone to appreciate a 12MP DSLR camera when a $200 6MP serves the purpose 90% of the time. People just have different priorities. And, unfortunately for those who do not like compressed audio, the market is not moving in there direction.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #24 of 30
The thing is i think the average audio fidelity is way up vs. 30 years ago.

Now, as then, most of it is crap, but the lowest common denominator is certainly better than it was.

Dec 5, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #25 of 30
In terms of portable audio, I think I was actually getting more fidelity 20 years ago than I am now. I was either using top of the line Aiwa walkmans or Sony PCDPs. And, my tapes were mostly higher end TDK dubbed from Nak or Luxman decks off decent turntable sources. These were definitely better than MP3 of today. Even better than CDs in most cases. However, I wouldn't want to lug around 20 cassette tapes with me when I go on trips like I used to.

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #27 of 30
Link is not working....Maybe the guy changed his mind....
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #28 of 30
In Defense of Audiophiles
The iPod hasn't made great sound obsolete.
By Fred Kaplan
Posted Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2007, at 11:48 AM ET
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nearly 25 years ago, I walked into a "high-end audio" store for the first time. I intended to write an article exposing the enterprise—$10,000 amplifiers, $5,000 turntables, and the like—as a fraud. Could this souped-up gear sound that much better than mass-market stuff at one-tenth the price?

After a few seconds of listening, my agenda—and really, my life—took a new direction. I'd never imagined that recorded music could sound so good, so real. The difference between the mass-market stereos I'd been hearing up to then and the high-end gear I heard now was the difference between bodega swill and Lafite-Rothschild, between a museum-shop poster and an oil painting, between watching a **** film and having sex.

Within a few months, I was writing for one of the top high-end audio magazines and spending scads on high-end audio components. I've kept doing both in the decades since.

Now two prominent music critics are telling me that I've been wasting my time and money. The pursuit of excellent sound is a "snare and delusion," writes Terry Teachout in the Wall Street Journal. Heavily compressed MP3 files through cheap headphones are "good enough," shrugs Anthony Tommasini in the New York Times.

Neither Teachout nor Tommasini claims that MP3s and iPods sound as good as a carefully chosen home-stereo system. But they do contend that quality doesn't matter. (Teachout's column is titled, "The Deaf Audiophile: What's So Good About Bad Sound? Plenty.")

For Tommasini (who once knew better), the convenience of compressed digital audio files outweighs the importance of sonic glories. Or, as he puts it, "easy access has trumped high fidelity." Well, to each his own. But, going much further, he also claims that the sonic compromises in MP3s are irrelevant. Transforming a complex song or album into a small audio file requires a tremendous amount of compression. Musical details unavoidably get squeezed out in the process. But Tommasini says this doesn't matter. A "cymbal crash in a symphonic orchestra, for example, will temporarily obscure the sound of other instruments," he writes. "So why not remove some of the covered sounds, which could not be heard anyway, to compress the file into a transferable format?"

If flutes under cymbal crashes were the only sacrifices, he'd have a point. But compression also removes a guitarist's intricate fingerwork, a hi-hat's shimmer, a bass line's pluck, and (to cite his own example) the sounds of many orchestral instruments even when they're not obscured by a cymbal crash.

Teachout makes a different point. "Why do I settle for inferior sound quality?" he asks. "Partly because of the near-miraculous convenience of MP3s." Partly, he adds, because "I'm middle-aged." It's well known that, owing to the degeneration of sensory receptor cells in the inner ear, most men older than 40 or 50 lose some of their ability to hear high frequencies. Therefore, he claims, good-sounding stereos—and many high-end components are particularly pure in the high frequencies—aren't important anymore

The bad news, Teachout writes, is that he's a tad over 50. (So, by the way, am I.) "The good news," he goes on, "is that I don't care … much." (The ellipses are his.) His mild loss of high-frequency hearing, he writes, "liberates" him from "the snare and delusion of audiophilia." In his younger years, he writes, "I forgot that every dollar I spent on speakers was a dollar I could no longer spend on records—not to mention tickets to live performances. … Now that my hearing isn't what it used to be, I understand more clearly … that recorded music can never hope to be more than a substitute for the real thing. … It is still an experience once removed, no matter how fancy your speakers are. Conversely, Stravinsky is still Stravinsky when you experience him through a $10 pair of earbuds."

These are all good points, but none of them makes the case against audiophiles. Let's examine them one by one.

First, one boast of high-end audio gear is that it does tend to reproduce high frequencies with pristine purity. If you can't hear high frequencies anymore, you can't hear that advantage. But there's more to music—and more to hi-fi—than extreme treble. Compared with good CDs and LPs played on good hi-fi gear, MP3s also flatten dynamic range (the difference between the loudest and softest sounds), obliterate dynamic contrasts (the slight variations between loud and soft), smother low frequencies (the bass), and smear transients (the front edge of, say, a drum smack or a string pluck). These shortcomings wreak havoc with drama and rhythm—the life and essence of much music.

As for his budget, well, such is life. Teachout is known for his impressive collection of limited-edition art prints, which have cost him a fair chunk of change. He might as well have said that a dollar spent on art was a dollar he could no longer spend on speakers. And that's fine. We all make choices. But one person's priorities aren't immutable principles. Teachout has adjusted to life without high-end gear, but that doesn't make audiophilia a crock.

He's also right that recorded music is not the same as live music, that it's unavoidably "an experience once removed." But there are degrees of removal. There are really good stereos, so-so stereos, iPods, cassette tapes, boom boxes … where do you draw the line? He writes that "Stravinsky is still Stravinsky," no matter what the medium. But is he? A crummy pair of ear buds doesn't let you hear everything in Stravinsky's scores—all of the notes that made Stravinsky a genius and his music enduring and stirring. Given that recordings are approximations, the question remains: How proximate do you want to get? Recordings may be "once removed," but they're also endlessly repeated. You can relive moments that, in a jazz club or concert hall, are fleeting. And in the reliving, is it a "snare" to want the sound to be as close to the concert hall as technology and one's budget can manage?

The Times' Tomassini sums up the argument—that MP3s and cheap earphones are "good enough." But here's the question: Good enough for what?

If you want the mere gist of music; if you like music wafting in the background; if you want to carry around 1,000 songs in your pocket; if you want to hear a beat and a melody while you jog or ride on the subway—and that's often what any of us want (even me)—then MP3s are plenty good enough. Convenience doesn't merely trump quality; it is quality.

But there are some things that only a really good home stereo, playing well-recorded CDs or vinyl LPs, can give you: the texture of an instrument (the woodiness of a bass, the golden brass of a trumpet, the fleshy skin of a bongo); the bouquet of harmonics that waft from an orchestra (the mingling overtones, the echoes off the concert hall's walls); the breath behind a voice; the warm percussiveness of a Steinway grand; the silky sheen of massed violins; the steely whoosh of brushes on a snare; the undistorted clarity of everything sung, blown, strummed, bowed, plucked, and smacked, all at once—in short, the sense that real musicians are playing real instruments in a real space right before you.

Such wonder machines, most of which by the way are made in America, cost money—though many very fine models don't cost so much. (Useful reviews can be found in Stereophile and the Absolute Sound, though I should note, in full disclosure, that I write for the former and used to write for the latter.)

It's worth noting that digital audio files will get better, just as compact discs did. (In their first decade, CDs and CD players sounded dreadful, worse than MP3s—and much worse than some other, less-compressed, downloadable formats—sound now. Click here for a note on these other formats.) When this future comes, we will all rejoice. In the meantime, to deny or dismiss the sonic differences not only deprecates the depths and delicacies that make music so alluring. It also tells the engineers and manufacturers that they don't need to improve their products, that bad sound is good enough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sidebar
Return to article

In 1994, Tommasini produced, and played piano on, a CD on the Northeastern label titled Virgil Thomson: Mostly About Love. The liner notes called it a "Natural Sound Recording," and added, "Northeastern compact discs allow the listener to hear a performance as though one were sitting in the best seat in the hall. To fully appreciate the remarkable sound quality and dynamic range of this recording, we recommend listening on good equipment and setting playback levels to those one would experience at a live performance." I don't think Teachout has produced an album, but he was a colleague of mine at a now-defunct audiophile magazine called Fi, reviewing classical recordings.

sidebar
Return to article

MP3 isn't the only digital audio format, just the most dominant. There are several less-compressed, or "lossless," formats, including Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC), Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC), and WMA (Windows Media Audio) Lossless. I have heard demos of these formats (albeit on servers hooked up to pretty good stereo systems), and they do sound very close to CD-quality (though they still fall short of higher-sampling formats like Super Audio CD, or SACD, and well short of vinyl LP). The downside of less compression is that you can fit far less data—and thus many fewer songs—in the same amount of storage space. The upside is that the result sounds much better. One question is this: As iPods and other devices can hold more and more data, will the record companies—and will consumers—use this data to hold more songs or to improve audio fidelity?

Fred Kaplan, Slate's "War Stories" columnist, reviews music and audio gear for Stereophile magazine. His jazz blog can be read here. He can be reached at war_stories@hotmail.com.

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #29 of 30
Thanks for posting the text.

By the way I also found the article by Teachout.
The Deaf Audiophile - WSJ.com

Quote:

The Deaf Audiophile
What's so good about bad sound? Plenty
November 10, 2007; Page W14

Of all the clever inventions of the past decade, the most culturally consequential just might be the iPod. In case you've been asleep since 2001, that's Apple's proprietary name for the MP3 player, a hand-held hard drive that stores and plays the audio files used to transmit recorded sound over the Web. It's the postmodern equivalent of the Walkman, only better, since an iPod can hold as many as 40,000 songs in its digital memory. Yet these ingenious devices are driving producers and engineers nuts.

In September the Journal's Lee Gomes reported in his "Portals" column that "those who work behind-the-mic in the music industry -- producers, engineers, mixers and the like -- say they increasingly assume their recordings will be heard as MP3s on an iPod music player." Accordingly, these audio professionals are now custom-tailoring their product to sound best on iPods, the same way that pop record producers of the early '60s are said to have tailored their product to sound best on car radios.
[Sightings illustration]

The trouble with this approach, Mr. Gomes explained, is that MP3 files are highly compressed in order to make them easier to store and transmit. Thus a piece of recorded music that is loaded onto an iPod and listened to on inexpensive earbuds doesn't sound as good as the same music recorded on a CD and played back on a stereo system equipped with high-quality speakers or headphones. The result, Mr. Gomes was repeatedly told by industry professionals, is "music that is loud but harsh and flat, and thus not enjoyable for long periods of time."

True? Incontestably. As a trained musician with many years of performing experience under my belt, I'm well aware that the MP3 is, musically speaking, something of a blunt instrument. Yet I find it hard to get bent out of shape over its burgeoning ubiquity. Indeed, I spend a great deal of time listening to digital audio files on my iPod or through a pair of compact desktop speakers connected to my MacBook.

Why do I settle for inferior sound quality? Partly because of the near-miraculous convenience of MP3s, which not only can be stored and retrieved with the greatest of ease but are equally easy to purchase over the Web via services like Apple's iTunes. But I have another reason, one that I share with millions of other iPod users: I'm middle-aged.

Like a third of my fellow baby boomers, I'm experiencing one of the more predictable consequences of growing older, which is that I now suffer from a mild but noticeable case of presbycusis, the medical term for age-related hearing loss. Not only are the sensory cell receptors in my inner ear gradually degenerating as a result of advancing age, but when young I spent countless happy hours playing loud music, which fried more than a few of those same receptors. I can still enjoy music of all kinds, but I don't hear it quite as well as I did 20 years ago, because I now find it harder to perceive the high-frequency sounds that are such an important part of recorded music.

That's the bad news. The good news is that I don't care . . . much. For one of the unintended consequences of presbycusis is that it liberates you from the snare and delusion of audiophilia. When I was younger, I longed for bigger, better, ever more expensive sound systems, sure that they would enhance the pleasure I took in listening to recorded music. And did they? Up to a point. But somewhere along the way I forgot that every dollar I spent on speakers was a dollar I could no longer spend on records -- not to mention tickets to live performances. Like so many sound-crazy audiophiles, I had not only put the cart before the horse, but I'd come close to cutting the reins.

Now that my hearing isn't what it used to be, I understand more clearly than ever before that recorded music can never hope to be more than a substitute for the real thing. A priceless and irreplaceable substitute, to be sure, and one that has clearly changed the world of music for the better. I've been listening to old records for most of a lifetime, yet it never quite ceases to amaze me that simply by pushing a button, I can hear Igor Stravinsky conducting "The Rite of Spring" or Louis Armstrong rapping out that golden introduction to "West End Blues." Yet the fact remains that sitting down in your living room and throwing on a CD is simply not the same thing as going to a concert, much less playing for your own pleasure. Yes, it can be intensely meaningful, but it is still experience once removed, no matter how fancy your speakers are. Conversely, Stravinsky is still Stravinsky when you experience him through a $10 pair of earbuds. He's the point, not the earbuds.

That's why I'm more than content to listen to "The Rite of Spring" on my trusty iPod. Would that my presbycusic ears were capable of distinguishing between great and good sound -- but at least they still know the infinitely more important difference between sound and silence.

Mr. Teachout, the Journal's drama critic, writes "Sightings" every other Saturday and blogs about the arts at About Last Night:. Write to him at tteachout@wsj.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back