Article: In Defense of Audiophiles
Dec 5, 2007 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
good read. i agree with all of it. long live hi fidelity.
smily_headphones1.gif

In defense of audiophiles. - By Fred Kaplan - Slate Magazine

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 30
I don't know. The defensiveness is a bit much for me. MP3s ARE "good enough" for most cases (environments, people, equipment, etc.). Why get your panties in a bunch? No one forgets there are other options. Practically no one expects less than better with many of those other options. I mean read the articles he's responding to. There isn't much "out-there" or controversial statements in them. Haven't we been through this already with FM, cassette, etc. My 80s Sony Walkman introduced me to much music. It didn't kill high end audio.

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 30
MP3 did not kill high end audio. High end audio was killed by HTS.

MP3 did more for music than any other format. Walking around you'll see more people listening to music than ever. It might not be high end but it is music. And the masses think it's good enough.

When I bought my first system, a stereo system is third highest ticket price item one purchased (after the house and the car). You spent hours ABX equipment. Today, you'll be lucky if you find a listening room or even an in-store CD for auditioning.

Yes, high end audio is dead and it has been for sometime. Stereophile and magazines like it touting mega buck system isn't helping any. How do you get new customers without affordable gears or a way to showcase high end sound.

This is why Bose is the definitive high end representative. They have the marketing dollar to put together a show room. Just check it out at you local Bose store.

Just my two cents

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 30
We have an entirely different sort of audio fidelity these days.

I'll take mp3 over cassette tape any day.

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 30
Wow... it didn't come off as much of a rant to me. He was simply defending the widespread claims that ipod audio is hi-fi "enough" and that people who choose to spend their money on dedicated systems are morons who should just give their money to other people instead.

Of course he agrees that it's good enough for most people, but since when are we "most people"?

This site is getting increasingly lo-fi centered...
confused.gif
frown.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 30
God, this article makes me want to throw up. I couldn't agree more with the author and less with the tin-eared boneheads he quotes.

It's similar to what my daughter's half-brother said when I let him listen to my setup. He listened for a few minutes and seem unimpressed. I asked him if he thought it didn't sound good. He said "No, it sounds awesome, but it can't hold more than an hour of music on it." I just shook my head and wondered about the future of the human race.

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This site is getting increasingly lo-fi centered...
confused.gif
frown.gif

Amen, brother! The venom that I've seen directed towards people with nice setups is unbelievable. We're all idiots, brainwashed, delusional, etc. Of course, they've never actually heard a hi-fi setup, but the TV and the internet say so, so why should they use critical thinking skills?

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 30
eh some people prefer portability over quality. Like the people who use their phone cameras instead of a stand alone camera, the reason they use phone camera is convenience, not quality. You have to balance between quality and convenience. Some people like to sway toward convenience, but most of us obviously like to sway the other way

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 30
That was a good read. If anyone else liked it, look into subscribing to Stereophole. Yes, there's ridiculously expensive gear, but there is always thoughtful and well-written commentary. At about $12 per year, that is the at bargain in audio. Not to mention their music reviews. I am not affiliated, just a happy subscriber.

I slightly disagree with the author. Most people I know do appreciate audiophile gear and then choke when they see the price. The other stumbling point are the cables, power cords, etc. I am not trying to touch off a debate of their merits, but everyone I've known outside the community think such things are laughable, mockable, utter, and complete BS. When I tell anyone about the hobby, those and other tweaks come up.

There is a tremendous lack of credibility in the general public. Couple that with high prices, and it kills interest in a big sort of way.

Again, I do not want to debate cables here. I just want to point out that they poison the waters for the general public. The majority opinion, right or wrong, is that cables and tweaks are snakeoil, something to mock and make fun of.

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God, this article makes me want to throw up. I couldn't agree more with the author and less with the tin-eared boneheads he quotes.

Be sure to read the actual articles he quotes. His characterization of the Tommasini in particular is not very accurate, as he attributes to Tommasini statements of others that Tommasini is commenting on.

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eh some people prefer portability over quality. Like the people who use their phone cameras instead of a stand alone camera, the reason they use phone camera is convenience, not quality. You have to balance between quality and convenience. Some people like to sway toward convenience, but most of us obviously like to sway the other way

I have no problem with this. What I have a problem with is the people who are convinced that iPods are soundcards are as good as it gets, and that everyone else is just a gullible idiot who only looks at the pricetag and buys the most expensive thing there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back