ART Headamp4 + HD-650 / DT-880 / AH-D2000
Dec 31, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 47
I happen to have the HeadAmp4 and also the fiio e5, the only point in favor of the fiio is that it fits in my pocket.

I like the headamp4, neutral and i do like the looks, i can assure you i have no mullets. 

Its heavy enough not to lift when some heavy plug ( or 4 ) are connected.

I also have my speakers connected to it, and 3 headphones in the others, i just low or raise the vol when i need one of them and not the others. pretty cool stuff.

cool review Sugarkarng!

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 47
Well, I was sorta looking through the DIY threads to find a nice enclosure.
All that needs to be done is to swap enclosures, drill new holes, change the dials.
BOOM.  Instant $500 amp. 

I mean seriously.   How did that Singlepower guy get so famous, then infamous?

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 47
Oh you just joined, I see.
Some Russian fella making custom amps that everybody on here loved.
He would take forever to make an amp, so that just increased everyone's desire for one.
So there became a huge back up in orders with people sending him thousands upon thousands of dollars.
Then he was gone like Keyser Söze.
Small scale Bernie Madoff.

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 47
how well does this power your HD650's?

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 47
didn't you own then sell or return HD650's already?

Quote:
I will let you know on Tues or Weds. 
I was supposed to get them today, but crazy weather I guess.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #12 of 47
let us know how this amp drives them.... i don't think it really will. big difference between driving xb700's and hd650's.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 47
Pretty sure it will be no problem.
I had the DT-990 250Ω for a day and those were only a little harder to drive than the 32Ω.
The HD-650 will likely be similar to the 250Ω Beyer.
The XB-700 doesn't really need an amp.  These tests were conducted with the Beyer.

If the Headamp4 turns out to be insufficient, I know for a fact that the Presonus HP4 will drive them.
I wanted to try this solution first though because the plugs are in the back.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #14 of 47
In my experience the HD600 and HD650 are easier to power properly than the beyers' are.

Quote:
Pretty sure it will be no problem.
I had the DT-990 250Ω for a day and those were only a little harder to drive than the 32Ω.
The HD-650 will likely be similar to the 250Ω Beyer.
The XB-700 doesn't really need an amp.  These tests were conducted with the Beyer.

If the Headamp4 turns out to be insufficient, I know for a fact that the Presonus HP4 will drive them.
I wanted to try this solution first though because the plugs are in the back.

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 47
My HD-650 arrived today.
Power is a non-issue as the Headamp4 drives them to ear deafening levels.
Drive difficulty is about equal to DT-880 (32 ohm). 
Therefore, the higher ohm Beyers are harder to drive than the HD-650.  

Note also that I require much more power than average users because I use mp3gain and I have slight tinnitus. 
PICTURE 3 shows ballpark equal listening levels for all three headphones.  The real volume range is between 5 to 10.
Volume 1 to 5 is pretty useless.  The levels set are for what I consider "too loud" for extended periods of time.

Anyone using this amp would probably not set the levels as high as I did, and not for extended sessions. 

PICTURE 1:  iPod Touch 2G, official dock lineout to Headamp4 input.  Yo La Tengo - I Heard You Looking

PICTURE 2:  Dock lineout to Headamp4 input.  Blurry picture because it's a still from my Flip Video. 

PICTURE 3:  Amp gain settings.  All headphones relatively equal in loudness to each other; all probably too loud for long sessions. 
Channel ONE:  Sennheiser HD-650 (300Ω) @ 7 
Channel TWO:  no headphones attached.
Channel THREE:  Beyerdynamic DT-880 (32Ω) @ 7
Channel FOUR:  Sony XB-700 @ under 6 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back