ART DI/O word clock output to sync external source?
Sep 8, 2001 at 8:51 AM Post #16 of 20
Thanks a lot. I got a copy of the manual from ART tech support in pdf format. Anyone who wants one can get a copy from me. Now I'm sure it can be done, I think I'll buy the DI/O within the next couple of weeks, as soon as I've time to head down to the dealer anyway.

Last question, I can still do this even when the tube is removed since it is all in the digital domain right?

Yea, it all relies on the DAC's clock being better than the soundcards but the thing is that the DAC is external & thus less prone to EMI & RF from inside the computer which kills the weakest link in my setup. Thanks for all the help Hirsch! If you're interested in getting a new soundcard, the MAudio 2496 Delta Dio is a good choice.

Sep 8, 2001 at 4:01 PM Post #18 of 20
I think it will work with the tube removed. I know that my soundcard was still taking the timing from the DI/O when the tube was out, since I could watch the card's sampling rate change when I changed the sampling rate on the DI/O.

Actually, I like the Hoontech card a lot. It was recommended by a company that specializes in audio restoration software (tracertek). Some of their customers wanted a card that had a)had clean I/O for recording b) supported gaming and c) was cheap. They tested a bunch of cards, and came up with the Hoontech. I have a SBLive! and a Monster MX300, and the Hoontech delivers much better audio than either of them. I'm in the process of recording some LPs I digitized through the Monster (wouldn't even bother with the SBLive, as I/O is awful on that card) and am going to compare the sonics of the resulting CD_Rs made from the same source. I also want to use LPs that I also have on commercial CD, to use as a reference.

The next Hoontech up, the DSP24 value, has gotten good reviews as a pro card (but is almost twice the price, and you lose gaming). I'm going to put in a 24/96 card around the time I put in a DVD_R recorder...just waiting for the technology to get the initial bugs worked out and for prices to come down.

Sep 8, 2001 at 8:42 PM Post #20 of 20
That's what I'm eventually going to do, but I'm seriously thinking about a Micro-ZOTL in the near future (I'm only about a 15 min drive from David Berning...oh so tempting
tongue.gif
), and I won't really need to upgrade my card until I want to record 24/96. In the meantime, my DI/O is also the master clock for the card that's running Diablo
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back