Art DAC questions
May 18, 2002 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Just wondering about the output, since I can't really find any pictures of the back. So, does the ART have 1/4 outputs, like I fear? If so, I'd need different cables, right? Would a converter work well?

May 18, 2002 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 7
Yes, the plugs are 1/4" phono plugs. You have a couple options, either buy a set of 1/4 to rca adaptors, buy a cable that with rca/1/4 connections from www.markertek.com , www.boldercables.com , or a diy cable, or get the ART 1/4" plugs changed into rcas. Modding the ART itself is rather expensive from what I was told by the guy at Bolder Cables(his name slips my mind). You also may need an attenuator as the voltage may be too high going into the amp. Bolder Cables sells cables with built in attenuators I believe, or if you want to stick with regular ICs, they can build you a phono to rca adaptor with a built in attenuator.

May 18, 2002 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 7
You can get adapters that go from 1/4" mono phone plug to RCA jack at Radio Shack for less the $5 each. These would let you use any interconnect you wanted to. They aren't bad either, although Calrad makes a better one that's almost impossible to find.

You might need an attenuator if your amp has active circuitry before its volume control. I haven't needed an attenuator with any of my amps or preamps so far. I've tried a couple of inline attenuators just to see how well they worked, and they degraded the sound, IMO. The Boldercables with built-in attenuation probably work better, but are not a necessity in most cases.

May 19, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 7
Adapters possibly have a sonic influence. The Calrads I use are very good (but difficult to find), and I don't really hear an improvement with a cable that has a phone plug. To tell the truth, the effect of the Radio Shack adapters on the sound is minimal (although I do prefer the Calrads)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back