Aroma Audio A100TB
Nov 29, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #181 of 216
Thanks.
According to Moon Audio (claiming to be an official distributor of Aroma HK) the differences are in the package size and the implementation of the power cable, in order to match sizes with the A100TB.

Edit: got that from Aroma HK
"Hello, Ps100 is the previous generation power supply. The effect is the same as Ps100pro"

So this unit stays. It seems that the cable is slightly safer than that on the Pro version.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #184 of 216
As my mind is kind of set on getting A100TB and PS100, has anyone had a chance to experiment with interconnect cables?
I was thinking of having single high quality interconnect that guarantees good clarity and dark background (A100TB will mostly be paired with my LPGT) and then use op-amps to experiment with the sound sig.

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #185 of 216
As my mind is kind of set on getting A100TB and PS100, has anyone had a chance to experiment with interconnect cables?
I was thinking of having single high quality interconnect that guarantees good clarity and dark background (A100TB will mostly be paired with my LPGT) and then use op-amps to experiment with the sound sig.
A better interconnect cable (if not long) will only contribute marginally. Better utilize an upgraded headphones or iems cable.
Try rolling OpAmps as addressed above in this thread. I am using Opa1612 for the input stage and V5i-D for the output, with great sound improvement. Wating for two more V5i-Ds for the input as well.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #186 of 216
20240102_144933.jpg
V5i-Ds in both input and output stages. Waiting for burn-in to complete. Still, bass is stronger with more, authority, control to be verified. Stage is wider. I have to listen more to judge the contribution to the highs.

Edit: after 3-4 hours of play, voices are more forward and airy, bass is less boomy, treble is clearer (minuscule shoutness is gone).

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #187 of 216
20240102_144933.jpgV5i-Ds in both input and output stages. Waiting for burn-in to complete. Still, bass is stronger with more, authority, control to be verified. Stage is wider. I have to listen more to judge the contribution to the highs.

Edit: after 3-4 hours of play, voices are more forward and airy, bass is less boomy, treble is clearer (minuscule shoutness is gone).
From the photo I see that you have set both input and output low gain. Why ? 🤔
Regarding your choice to put 4 V5i D, it's good.
But if you put 2 V6 Vivid on the output, you would have an incredible upgrade. With the only limitation that you couldn't close the amp

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #188 of 216
That looks nice man, V5s will definitely be high on the list to check. I would also like to experiment with Muses 02 Dual and some others I might put my hands on.
I also saw that mod that NPAudio prepares with double Sparkos, which is also tempting (but also not cheap I assume lol).

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #189 of 216
From the photo I see that you have set both input and output low gain. Why ? 🤔
Regarding your choice to put 4 V5i D, it's good.
But if you put 2 V6 Vivid on the output, you would have an incredible upgrade. With the only limitation that you couldn't close the amp
I mostly listen with Fir Xe6 iem and Focal Stellia. Both very easy to drive, so Aroma's low gain is really sufficient. Here I have more volume button swing 😀.

Regarding the V6 or even V7?, I am trying to figure out a modified sliding case (made of sturdy plastic or composit material?) with pre made rectangular (cut to match) holes.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #190 of 216
That looks nice man, V5s will definitely be high on the list to check. I would also like to experiment with Muses 02 Dual and some others I might put my hands on.
I also saw that mod that NPAudio prepares with double Sparkos, which is also tempting (but also not cheap I assume lol).
I tried the Sparkos SS3062 (in the input stage). They are huge and do not fit under the case or require removal of the battery.
Anyway, to me they sound slightly inferior than the V5i.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #193 of 216
Nothing unexpected with the LO, in this case, off the balanced 4.4mm port. Worked flawlessly, and as expected the HM1K needed the extra juice to scale up wonderfully. My intention was to amp the HM1K on the go, which makes the size an important point. I considered many amps at an acceptable form factor and didn’t find any balanced option available. The A100TB easily passed the form factor criterion, as you can see below.

HM1K-A100TB.jpeg

The light, compact and versatile HM1K is my travel DAP; I could stream using my iphone/ipod, which also controls the music playback off the SD card. To justify the extra mass of the A100TB was not too difficult -- a credit to the vast SQ improvement. But stacking the PS100 too would be a brick too far for on-the-move listening within reason or sanity. Although, I will likely bring the PS100 along to listen in the hotel room, well, at least on the next trip I will. :wink:

HM1K-A100TB-PS100.jpeg

The Phatlab Chimera is quite similar to the Cayin C9 in almost every way. They are both very good and ladened with many cool features but unfortunately, neither amp fits what I was looking for to pair the HM1K with. Right away, the form factor was out -- it's a complete mismatch and ruins the elegance and portability of the HM1K altogether. Plus I didn't need or want the DAC and the dual timbre option (SS and Tube) was a novelty that I also didn't need so before the listening even begun, it had already lost many points.

When I did finally listen, I was relieved that the synergy just wasn't there. Yes, I heard the extra power but for some reason, the HM1K lost some of that special refinement that R2R DACs were known for and with that, so went the musicality and I did not enjoy it at all. I must admit that my assessment could very possibly have been skewed by the poor physical match, but fact is, it certainly did not impress me enough to overcome any bias I may have harbored.

With the A100TB, the revelation was quite serendipitous. I was so intent on listening to the Jewel that I forgot I even had it amping the HM1K throughout the audition. It was when I unplugged that A100TB at the end, then wanted to listen to another track I missed that I realised how much the HM1K was missing the A100TB! Ok ok, granted that the HM1K was never going to be able to drive the Jewel on its own, but I can say the difference was quite night and day. Additionally, as a bonus, the PS100 added even more enhancement, though incremental, to the experience.

If you didn't already know, both the Chimera and C9 cost more than double that of the A100TB. And even with the PS100 and the Aroma OCC Litz 4.4-to-4.4 interconnect thrown in, the package still cost less. All in all, to say I am very pleased is an understatement. :ksc75smile:
Off topic : can you let me know where I can find a 90 degree 4.4 to 4.4 IC?

I would love to buy one for my a100tb.

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #194 of 216
I mostly listen with Fir Xe6 iem and Focal Stellia. Both very easy to drive, so Aroma's low gain is really sufficient. Here I have more volume button swing 😀.

Regarding the V6 or even V7?, I am trying to figure out a modified sliding case (made of sturdy plastic or composit material?) with pre made rectangular (cut to match) holes.
If you find a case that can house the V6s, please share 🙏

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #195 of 216
Did not have the oppoetunity to lay my hands on either V6s or V7s.

Currently, the V5i-Ds, I am using sound so good, that I am not pressed to obtain those newer Burson opamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back