Armature vs dynamic IEMs : Q-JAYS vs Sony EX52
Nov 26, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received review units of Super Fi.5 Extended Bass, and it turns out that they have an dynamic driver for the bass, and an amerture for the mids and highs. I've only spent a few minutes listening to them so far, but they're the best IEM i've heard so far
smily_headphones1.gif

glad my recommendation was some help they do have powerful bass, i also would recommend the se530 but although they are warm sounding and lean towards bass they are not as bass heavy as the EB's. but the se530 are my fav all time phones with the ue10 a serious second only because of price

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should try the shure e500's for ~$260

unless of course you really are satisified with the sf5 EB

The SF5's are very good, but they're huge! People look at you like you're an alien when you wear them!

The review Super Fi.5 EB's were supplied directly by Ultimate Ears as review samples, if anyone has a contact in Shure i'd love to review theirs too. Headphone Reviews :: Headphone Review System gets some insane number of views and hits, about a million hits per month last time I looked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
glad my recommendation was some help they do have powerful bass, i also would recommend the se530 but although they are warm sounding and lean towards bass they are not as bass heavy as the EB's. but the se530 are my fav all time phones with the ue10 a serious second only because of price

Yeah ta
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't mind if the bass isn't as strong, so long as it's deep. With the standard Super Fi.5's (not EB) I was actually missing bass that was in the track, the EBs play it all
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #18 of 24
It's so strange. I had the EBs for a while about a year or so ago and a lot of the reviews here universally called it the worst IEM available. I liked them but had a chance to listen to the SF5Ps, liked them better, so I sold my EBs and bought the 5's.

Oh and far as the 5's being huge....IMO they are in no way as big or freaky looking as the EB's. Those things were truly huge...

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #19 of 24
i think we have allready established that armature driven headphones provide a bass with less "punch" while it might be more acusticly correct, theres no pleasure to it, i think that the main reason for that is that good bass requires airflow, and thats allready hard to get in a IEM, but even harder to get out of a closed system like an armature,

some have tried to remedy it by adding a 2nd or 3rd armature compleatly dedicated to bass reproduction, IE : triple.fi, SE530,

others have decided to combine a dynamic driver with the armature to provide the missing bass, IE the super.fi 5 EB, this allows the accurate reproduction of armature drivers supportes by the punch of a dynamic driver,

and then theres those who decided that armatures are too limited to give the sound signature they wish to provided and refine a dynamic driver to produce accurate and punchy sound, IE : CX400-500-95, Atrio M5/M8,

now, i have the futuresonics atrio M5, the bass is GREAT, it over overdoses sometimes if your not too carefull, the mids are good, and the highs are sometimes recessed, but they sound really good, i like them,

also the Super.fi 5 EB seem to have regained a new crowd, they were always dismissed as a version of the Super.fi 5 pro where the bass just pukes all over the accuracy, but apparently, when burned it and properly EQ´d, they provide quite good sound,

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #20 of 24
Im a noob so dont mind me but i have few things to say. One of which is defining good bass. I havnt had or listened to music with the Super Fi 5 EB but common sense tells me the reason why they seem to make people feel that the base really exists is because the added goodness hence why the name EB (Extended Base).

If you havnt used earphones such as the Super Fi 5 EB or anything similar, one wouldnt notice or couldnt tell you if other earphones have that extra base feel but nor will they deny that there isnt any base at all.

Bottom line is that its all subjective and based on users preference. So when it comes to reviews on the earphone itself and not comparing to any other, the question then lies is, if there is good base feel to it, without unconsciously comparing to one that has extra base feel.

The following is just an example of what i am trying to say. I have had and listened to MylarThree's, Shure E2C, Creative EP-630. From what ive noticed the EP-630 and E2C had more base feel than the MylarThree which at the time i liked and ofcourse because i just bought them.. so i should be happy but i got tired of listening to too much base. All i hear most of the time is base. I even almost called myself a base head and tuned my EQ to output more bass. When i bought my mylarthree's, all seem to change. The base wasnt much but for some reason it sounded much better, more refined. Hell i could even distinguish between each base. Everything sounded mellow and just right. I loved my music even more. If i wanted more base i could adjust my EQ if i wanted but i didnt.

Oh and i also think it also depends on what device your using to listen to your music. As an example Ipod outputs better than average sound but the lastest ipods are even worse. So your idea of good sound will be different from someone elses.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #21 of 24
I like the bass in my vibes. Almost a years worth of use and I'm still impressed on what it can do with the bass.

I just wish there was an IEM that had the bass of the vibes but also have the sound isolation of E2Cs. Those super fi 5 EB look interesting but $200 is a bit much, I'd rather try them out before paying that.

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviationer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the bass of the vibes but also have the sound isolation of E2Cs

Simple. Find some foamies that fit.

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My avatar is a girl named Mia Stone... google it (not at work)... no more PMs about it please!

hahaha Not at work indeed!
biggrin.gif

I would love a comparison between the SF5 EB vs FS Atrio M5. I have been using the FS/xtrememac FS1 and think the bass is wonderful, not muddy, quite controlled with the "impact" that is desired. I am upgrading to the FS Atrio as ive heard the bass is even more controlled and even deeper, can't wait! The only think i am concerned about is the mid/high ranges as the Atrio has just a dynamic driver an no armature, which are better for high end reproduction...which the EB would have.

LOL I haven't even received my Atrio's yet and I already want comparisons! Oh well, I love my deep and controlled bass...but don't want to sacrifice the higher ranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back