Arizona Head-Fi Meet: October 25th, 2014 - Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #18 of 52
As always looked like a blast! I was happy to see the vintage Pioneer receiver as I am a (huge) fan myself; It's something that seems like sacrilege to some Head-fiers so good on whoever brought that beauty! And that record player, wow that looks awesome, and expensive. Would have loved to grab that Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden album and give it a whirl. Anyway, good show!

What was with all the HD598s? Were they door prizes?

beerchug.gif

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #19 of 52
My people! Senn HD 598s everywhere, I am so very happy to see that. Been moving around but still have tons of friends and family in AZ. Would definitely like to make a meet sometime if I get the chance.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #22 of 52
  It was the craziest thing, I had no idea how many 598 lovers there were in AZ. Might join the ranks myself. Great headphone! :)

That is awesome!

beerchug.gif

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #23 of 52
  It was the craziest thing, I had no idea how many 598 lovers there were in AZ. Might join the ranks myself. Great headphone! :)

I have to say, even though I've listened to a lot of higher end gear the HD598's are a pretty sweet set of cans. I paid $270 for mine almost two years ago (I believe) and they're an even better deal at $180 on Amazon these days. That's not what they're selling for at the moment, but I've seen them that cheap recently.

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #25 of 52
I have to say, even though I've listened to a lot of higher end gear the HD598's are a pretty sweet set of cans. I paid $270 for mine almost two years ago (I believe) and they're an even better deal at $180 on Amazon these days. That's not what they're selling for at the moment, but I've seen them that cheap recently.
Totally agree. I love their sound. For the price, its a hard headphone to beat.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #28 of 52
Man I would have loved to test out some Garage 1217 amps. How did people like the Starlight?

I tried all 4 models on hand (Starlight, Sunrise, Ember, Polaris) for a while and really enjoyed switching between them and hearing the differences. I think that the Starlight is one of the best small desktop amps you can get for the money. It has plenty of output, lots of options to tweak the settings, and is very well built. For me the Starlight felt like a blend of the Sunrise and the Ember, closer in sound to the Ember overall but with a less open sound.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #29 of 52
I spent some time listening to them all at my home after picking them up. I did find that they respond quite well to tube rolling. My fave was the Ember.
I rolled in a Mullard CV4003 12AU7 variant that I use as the input on my Taboo II. IMHO, it made the Ember come alive; smooth with plenty of detail.

If someone is looking to try tubes without the mondo expense, Garage 1217's offerings are a great place to start.

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #30 of 52

Man I would have loved to test out some Garage 1217 amps. How did people like the Starlight?

I tried all 4 models on hand (Starlight, Sunrise, Ember, Polaris) for a while and really enjoyed switching between them and hearing the differences. I think that the Starlight is one of the best small desktop amps you can get for the money. It has plenty of output, lots of options to tweak the settings, and is very well built. For me the Starlight felt like a blend of the Sunrise and the Ember, closer in sound to the Ember overall but with a less open sound.

i like the ember meself.  well, it went well with the 650 cans that i was toting around.  might just order me a diy kit and flex me soldering skillz.  looking forward to the next meet, hopefully i can haul in my vinyl setup.  will need stronger tables though, the big mac is a beast.  good times at this meet even if i was half asleep. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back