Arizona Head-Fi Meet: January 24th, 2015
Jan 21, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #258 of 327
Sooooo my new T90 came in today... Meh 

Sounds like open version of the T70's if you ask me. Now does that mean they are bad?? Heck no they have a very nice unique sound signature. The bass seems to suffer from the same lack of punch as the T70's but they did fix the super super hot treble that the T70's have so that is definitely an improvement. 

What I was hoping for was a set that could compete or even take over the X1 in my rotation but these are not it for me. I'm sure some of you guys will like these but I'm 100% certain they will be going back to Amazon after the meet. I know some of you wanted to hear these and so I wont take them back until after or heck maybe some of the amps there will so what these can do but my Pioneer is probably getting as much as possible out of them but I'll keep an open mind :wink: 

Oh well, next I'll try some of the others I haven't tried yet... Either way is was nice to say at least I got to hear them for myself. 

HD700, K712 Pro's, and X2's are on the short list. I might just try and save up so I can get the LCD-X's Easily the best headphones I ever listened to top to bottom. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #259 of 327

Sounds like open version of the T70's if you ask me. Now does that mean they are bad?? Heck no they have a very nice unique sound signature. The bass seems to suffer from the same lack of punch as the T70's but they did fix the super super hot treble that the T70's have so that is definitely an improvement. 

What I was hoping for was a set that could compete or even take over the X1 in my rotation but these are not it for me. I'm sure some of you guys will like these but I'm 100% certain they will be going back to Amazon after the meet. I know some of you wanted to hear these and so I wont take them back until after or heck maybe some of the amps there will so what these can do but my Pioneer is probably getting as much as possible out of them but I'll keep an open mind :wink: 

Oh well, next I'll try some of the others I haven't tried yet... Either way is was nice to say at least I got to hear them for myself. 

HD700, K712 Pro's, and X2's are on the short list. I might just try and save up so I can get the LCD-X's Easily the best headphones I ever listened to top to bottom. 

Thanks,

:evil:

That's how I felt about my DT880s. Technically competent but just not my favorite SQ. I'm interested to hear how the T90s compare. No interest in Audeze's other offerings? Used LCD 2s seem to be going for pretty good prices lately. Maybe EL-8 even?

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #260 of 327

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

I love my DT990s and they are perfect for a lot of things. I don't really like em too much out of an old vintage receiver. They sound great out of some of the Schiit products and even better out of the Decware CSP-2. I hope to try out the T90s and see how they compare.

On the note of the LCD-X, if you plan on getting them, can I recommend going through AZ Hi-Fi. They sell the Audez'e line and it would be great if you can help support those guys. :wink:

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #261 of 327
I currently have the DT880(600ohm), K1000, Legend-R Ciem with TWAU and NT-6 Ciem with TWAG v3 hybrid. I also own the DN2000 iem and MDR1A but I think you guys won't be interested 

eek.gif
 are you going to bring the K1000????
That thing looks crazy and I've always wondered what it actually sounded like!

speaking of the number 1000, have you all heard of HiFiMAN's next headphone, the HE-1000?

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #263 of 327

Thanks,

That's how I felt about my DT880s. Technically competent but just not my favorite SQ. I'm interested to hear how the T90s compare. No interest in Audeze's other offerings? Used LCD 2s seem to be going for pretty good prices lately. Maybe EL-8 even?

I'm an Audeze fan that's for sure! I've heard most offerings except the XC but from what I heard I'm not missing to much lol... El-8 open back is already as good as had!

Thanks,

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #264 of 327

Thanks,

I love my DT990s and they are perfect for a lot of things. I don't really like em too much out of an old vintage receiver. They sound great out of some of the Schiit products and even better out of the Decware CSP-2. I hope to try out the T90s and see how they compare.

On the note of the LCD-X, if you plan on getting them, can I recommend going through AZ Hi-Fi. They sell the Audez'e line and it would be great if you can help support those guys. :wink:

Dt990's will now and forever be one of my all time favs. They couldn't be more different. The 990's out of vintage can seem a big overwhelmed but they sound great through most everything else which is another reason why I love them do :)

I'll look into your suggestion. If I can buy locally I'd much rather do that!

Thanks,

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #265 of 327
I'm an Audeze fan that's for sure! I've heard most offerings except the XC but from what I heard I'm not missing to much lol... El-8 open back is already as good as had!

Thanks,

Like Destroysall said, AZ Hi-Fi has the whole line so you could give the XCs a go there. I went a week or so ago and tried out the LCD 2s and Xs. I could only use my phone though since they didn't have an amp setup (they said to call ahead and they'd get one ready for you). They were really nice and laid back as well. I just hung out there for a couple hours and talked to them and enjoyed the B&W 802s, which were amazing to say the least!

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #266 of 327
Like Destroysall said, AZ Hi-Fi has the whole line so you could give the XCs a go there. I went a week or so ago and tried out the LCD 2s and Xs. I could only use my phone though since they didn't have an amp setup (they said to call ahead and they'd get one ready for you). They were really nice and laid back as well. I just hung out there for a couple hours and talked to them and enjoyed the B&W 802s, which were amazing to say the least!

Those 802s... they're almost too good; a slightly uneven record had the entire front baffle flexing! Good thing they're durable. I never wanted to (in the future) spend more than $2k on speakers, but Glen had to ruin that for me by stocking B&W lmao. Anyway.. it's time for funch to update the countdown

Also I find it interesting that Destroysall and DemonFox dislike the dt990s out of vintage... both my SX-780 and Grizmo's Nakamichi SR-2A match quite well with them. Unfortunately my SX-780 has been a bit unruly lately though...

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #267 of 327
Like @Destroysall said, AZ Hi-Fi has the whole line so you could give the XCs a go there. I went a week or so ago and tried out the LCD 2s and Xs. I could only use my phone though since they didn't have an amp setup (they said to call ahead and they'd get one ready for you). They were really nice and laid back as well. I just hung out there for a couple hours and talked to them and enjoyed the B&W 802s, which were amazing to say the least!

While I love the Bowers and Wilkins, I will still personally say that the O/96 from DeVore Fidelity are my favs. If you ever wanna hear a good set, ask Glen to hook up the O/96 with the Line Magnetic 518ia and Leben phone preamp with the Project Xtension 12 as the source. You're ears will have died and went to heaven as did mine. There's a reason I can't hear as good as I used to you know. :wink:

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #268 of 327
Those 802s... they're almost too good; a slightly uneven record had the entire front baffle flexing! Good thing they're durable. I never wanted to (in the future) spend more than $2k on speakers, but Glen had to ruin that for me by stocking B&W lmao. Anyway.. it's time for funch to update the countdown

Also I find it interesting that Destroysall and DemonFox dislike the dt990s out of vintage... both my SX-780 and Grizmo's Nakamichi SR-2A match quite well with them. Unfortunately my SX-780 has been a bit unruly lately though...

I still need to hear the 802s personally. Heard the 804s and was not impressed personally. I was more impressed with the baby 685 s2 personally. Maybe that's just me.

On the note of the vintage receiver. I'm going to try a give the HD 598 a listen through the Marantz tonight.

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #269 of 327

Yeah, speakers are another rabbit hole to explore. My wallet is trembling in fear at the thought!

While I love the Bowers and Wilkins, I will still personally say that the O/96 from DeVore Fidelity are my favs. If you ever wanna hear a good set, ask Glen to hook up the O/96 with the Line Magnetic 518ia and Leben phone preamp with the Project Xtension 12 as the source. You're ears will have died and went to heaven as did mine. There's a reason I can't hear as good as I used to you know. :wink:

Those O/96s were absolutely beautiful. I bet they sound as good as they look as well! Hearing the 802s was my first time hearing any high-end speaker system so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'd feel bad having them set all of that up for me knowing that there is no way I could afford it anytime in the foreseeable future. I just listened to the 802s since they had everything already setup and were busy organizing some tubes so I just had a listen for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back