Argon Mk3 and Massdrop CTH/LCX?
Dec 19, 2018 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Cleo Hoeger

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post and it will concern sidegrades to hd6xx.
Bought an hd6xx and I like the way it sounds but it never blew me away. As I spend more time with them I like them more and I feel like the warm signature has grown on me. I must say that vocals are awesome on them. It is really smooth and "thick"?
So, hd6xx hasn't exactly sated my desire for a pair of phones that will make me go "wow". I am now looking into phones mostly under $500. A few pairs that caught my attention are:
1. Argon Mk3 ~ <$350
2. HiFiman HE560 ~ $299
3. Beyerdynamic DT1990 ~ $499
4. Massdrop x Koss ESP95X ~ $499
Another pair that is out of my stated budget is the new Massdrop x HiFiman Edition XX. I understand that they haven't been shipped and would need more reviews before anyone has any idea on how they sound and compare. It will be left for future discussion as of now.

Heard some pretty good things about these phones but I'd appreciate more advice from people who have more knowledge than me on this.
Argon Mk3 seems really tempting. It is also the most affordable one other than the HE560 on my list.
Is it worth it? Will it solve the "problem" I have with the 6xx for being a little too laid back?

I am also thinking of getting a better amplifier some time in the future, before I get a second pair of phones. I am powering my hd6xx with a Schiit Fulla now. I am still new to this and didn't want to spend too much on gear.The most appealing options to me right now are:
1. Massdrop CTH + Grace SDAC (heard it pairs really well with hd6xx, but how does it pair with the Argons?)
2. Massdrop LCX + SDAC (I will only choose this if the CTH does not pair well with the Argons)

EDIT: I found out I could get the topping stack at a pretty decent price in my region. Is this recommended? Is it better than the fulla? Or should I just forget this and opt for the CTH/LCX?

I appreciate your kind comments and insightful advice in this area. Look forward to your replies. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 4
Argon Mk3 is not a side-grade to an HD6XX... it's an upgrade. Caveat being you need to have proper amplification for them, they do really require a high current, high power amp to optimize their sound. When looking for an amp for the Argon or most other planars, you will want something with at least a couple watts rating from 50 to 100 ohms and that is high current to really have them driven well. An amp like the Emotiva BasX A-100 would work... ~8 Watts @ 50ohms in direct drive mode and only $229: https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-100
You would just need to be VERY careful and precise with the volume knob. Would just need to get a DAC for a regular amp - Massdrop has the Grace Design SDAC for $80 or Topping A30 for $105... And with the Emotiva BasX A-100 you could also use speakers as well.

I'm running my Argon Mk3 off a Gustard H10 amp, which I would recommend except it is no longer made and really needs mods to be reliable. The H10 is absolutely stellar for planar headphones though, very decent warm sounding Class A amp with lots of detail and full sound. Has very decent power as well, being rated @ 1W (16 ohms); 2W (32 ohms); 2.7W (50 ohms); 2.2W (100 ohms); 570 mW (600 ohm load). I had to max out the gain switches on the back (+12dB) to get the Argon to present great sound, but it is absolutely worth it. And the volume knob indicator is set just below 9:00 position for my listening level.

When you drive the Argons well they will give excellent subbass impact and punch and a very lively and dynamic sound. They are definitely not laid back/veiled like the HD6XX - they are a planar with quicker snap and speed and more forward sound with wayyyy better subbass. They also have a very nice presentation of the music in a large space, much larger than HD6XX.

The HD6XX really needs more than a Schiit Fulla to drive it though. The Emotiva BasX A-100 would also work fine for it as well, 1.3 Watt @ 300ohms rating. I'm running my HD58X off my H10, which is probably rated ~1.6W @ 150ohms and really like how it sounds - volume knob little less than with the Argon. It's no Argon in regards to sound though, comes across much thinner and not as smooth sounding, with a cooler tint to the sound and noticeably less subbass.

Another option you may want to check out is Fostex TH-X00 series, a little bloomy stock, but modded they really are something. Modding just consists of Lawton Audio driver housing damping and different pads (ZMF Ori lambskin recommended) with custom attenuators. They perform very similar to the HD6XX in mids and highs but are clearer sounding with punch and body, and have that biodyna bass that is unlike anything else - why they are very special. My TH-X00PH were my absolute favorite until I got the Argon. And while the Argon is now my favorite non-STAX headphone, it simply doesn't have that massive impacting yet clean subbass of the TH-X00PH. The Argon is like a combination of the best of a STAX Lambda and a TH-X00... great combo. I've found the TH-X00 sounds best on warm, high current amps just like the Argon...don't need the power level of what needed for the Argon but still likes warm amps with good power. Run the Gustard H10 amp on +6dB gain selection for the TH-X00 Purplehearts.

I also had a Koss ESP950. Can't really recommend it as it simply has quality issues that will happen and drive you nuts - the drivers WILL squeal on you. They also are one of the most bass anemic headphones, unlistenable to me without EQ to boost the low end - they simply lack a normal level of bass you would expect from acoustic instruments, hence EQ to make the bass sound right. I actually prefer the HD6XX to the ESP950. If you want to go electrostatic, do it right and go STAX. STAX have sealed film dust covers - unlike the unprotected ESP950 or Sennheiser HE60/90, so much more maintenance and issue free in regards to dust/FOD in the drivers. STAX also can have some of the best bass I've heard in a headphone (with proper amping) - absolutely love the low end on my L700 modded L300 Limiteds and heard the SR-007 Mk2 on my setup which was even better. You can get used STAX Lambdas for very resonable prices, ~$300 for an L300, all you would then need is a driver unit which would run ~$300-$500 for a good deal. Mjolnir Audio has a modded and reworked STAX SRM-Xh for $230 - https://mjolnir-audio.com/used-amplifiers/ (scroll down to second from bottom on page...), just have to account for shipping from Iceland which isn't cheap. The comfort of the L300 isn't the best though...which is its downside stock. L700 pads and headband swap would be highly recommend, but that would cost as much as the L300 itself...

Also one last thing I HAVE to say... the Massdrop/Koss Porta Pro X with Yaxi pads are something REALLY special for under $50 that falls beautifully in line with an overall similar signature to Argons and TH-X00, except the Porta Pro's mids are noticeably more forward and intimate. Simply uncomprehensible how they sound so good - warm and bassy, yet mids more forward and smooth than the HD58X and about just as clean sounding. A beautiful sounding headphone because of the Yaxi pads, which make it more neutral, tighten the low end and give it better extension and punch, bring out better clarity and detail, and also bring out a little more highs. So if there's one headphone I could recommend to anyone looking for warm and smooth yet punchy and with great subbass at an unparalled value it's absolutely the Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads.

https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/porta-pro/

But yes, if you can properly drive the Argons, they are HIGHLY recommended....I prefer them over any Audeze or Sennheiser. STAX is the only thing I prefer over them so far...

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi! Thanks for the comprehensive reply and detailed explanation. My problem with the hd6xx is that it feels veiled. And the highs are not impactful. The bass quantity is enough to keep me happy, whilst not abundant it is tight, a massive improvement from previous headphones I own. I’d definitely look into the argons.
But, besides, I came across a review by josh valour praising the dt990 khan mod, which makes me very curious as to how it fares against the argons. But it appears that the “review” is more of a promotional vid than an actual review. The fact that he hasn’t listened to the stock dt990 and went ahead to say that the khan is better makes me very skeptical.
I heard that the emotiva basX is known for power. But, is it an overkill tho? I want only an amp that can be used for most headphones if I eventually decide to acquire more pairs further down the road. I heard it only works well with high impedance headphones. But for that price it is definitely worth looking into. It is even cheaper than what Massdrop has to offer, namely the THX AAA, LCX, CTH.
Looking into so many options out there, it seems that the argons are very likely to be my next pair. If it is an overall upgrade, especially in clarity, soundstage to the hd6xx it is definitely worth having. Only thing that bothers me is that whilst being a closed back I can’t use them for travelling as they need a powerful enough amp as you mentioned. Perhaps the TRX00 may be more practical in that sense, but I wouldn’t want to sacrifice sound quality for portability. Argh it is hard to decide.

Anyways, thank you once again for the reply and advice! Hope to see one again from you.

Dec 23, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 4
Argon Mk3 is not a side-grade to an HD6XX... it's an upgrade. Caveat being you need to have proper amplification for them, they do really require a high current, high power amp to optimize their sound. When looking for an amp for the Argon or most other planars, you will want something with at least a couple watts rating from 50 to 100 ohms and that is high current to really have them driven well. An amp like the Emotiva BasX A-100 would work... ~8 Watts @ 50ohms in direct drive mode and only $229: https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-100
You would just need to be VERY careful and precise with the volume knob. Would just need to get a DAC for a regular amp - Massdrop has the Grace Design SDAC for $80 or Topping A30 for $105... And with the Emotiva BasX A-100 you could also use speakers as well.

I'm running my Argon Mk3 off a Gustard H10 amp, which I would recommend except it is no longer made and really needs mods to be reliable. The H10 is absolutely stellar for planar headphones though, very decent warm sounding Class A amp with lots of detail and full sound. Has very decent power as well, being rated @ 1W (16 ohms); 2W (32 ohms); 2.7W (50 ohms); 2.2W (100 ohms); 570 mW (600 ohm load). I had to max out the gain switches on the back (+12dB) to get the Argon to present great sound, but it is absolutely worth it. And the volume knob indicator is set just below 9:00 position for my listening level.

When you drive the Argons well they will give excellent subbass impact and punch and a very lively and dynamic sound. They are definitely not laid back/veiled like the HD6XX - they are a planar with quicker snap and speed and more forward sound with wayyyy better subbass. They also have a very nice presentation of the music in a large space, much larger than HD6XX.

The HD6XX really needs more than a Schiit Fulla to drive it though. The Emotiva BasX A-100 would also work fine for it as well, 1.3 Watt @ 300ohms rating. I'm running my HD58X off my H10, which is probably rated ~1.6W @ 150ohms and really like how it sounds - volume knob little less than with the Argon. It's no Argon in regards to sound though, comes across much thinner and not as smooth sounding, with a cooler tint to the sound and noticeably less subbass.

Another option you may want to check out is Fostex TH-X00 series, a little bloomy stock, but modded they really are something. Modding just consists of Lawton Audio driver housing damping and different pads (ZMF Ori lambskin recommended) with custom attenuators. They perform very similar to the HD6XX in mids and highs but are clearer sounding with punch and body, and have that biodyna bass that is unlike anything else - why they are very special. My TH-X00PH were my absolute favorite until I got the Argon. And while the Argon is now my favorite non-STAX headphone, it simply doesn't have that massive impacting yet clean subbass of the TH-X00PH. The Argon is like a combination of the best of a STAX Lambda and a TH-X00... great combo. I've found the TH-X00 sounds best on warm, high current amps just like the Argon...don't need the power level of what needed for the Argon but still likes warm amps with good power. Run the Gustard H10 amp on +6dB gain selection for the TH-X00 Purplehearts.

I also had a Koss ESP950. Can't really recommend it as it simply has quality issues that will happen and drive you nuts - the drivers WILL squeal on you. They also are one of the most bass anemic headphones, unlistenable to me without EQ to boost the low end - they simply lack a normal level of bass you would expect from acoustic instruments, hence EQ to make the bass sound right. I actually prefer the HD6XX to the ESP950. If you want to go electrostatic, do it right and go STAX. STAX have sealed film dust covers - unlike the unprotected ESP950 or Sennheiser HE60/90, so much more maintenance and issue free in regards to dust/FOD in the drivers. STAX also can have some of the best bass I've heard in a headphone (with proper amping) - absolutely love the low end on my L700 modded L300 Limiteds and heard the SR-007 Mk2 on my setup which was even better. You can get used STAX Lambdas for very resonable prices, ~$300 for an L300, all you would then need is a driver unit which would run ~$300-$500 for a good deal. Mjolnir Audio has a modded and reworked STAX SRM-Xh for $230 - https://mjolnir-audio.com/used-amplifiers/ (scroll down to second from bottom on page...), just have to account for shipping from Iceland which isn't cheap. The comfort of the L300 isn't the best though...which is its downside stock. L700 pads and headband swap would be highly recommend, but that would cost as much as the L300 itself...

Also one last thing I HAVE to say... the Massdrop/Koss Porta Pro X with Yaxi pads are something REALLY special for under $50 that falls beautifully in line with an overall similar signature to Argons and TH-X00, except the Porta Pro's mids are noticeably more forward and intimate. Simply uncomprehensible how they sound so good - warm and bassy, yet mids more forward and smooth than the HD58X and about just as clean sounding. A beautiful sounding headphone because of the Yaxi pads, which make it more neutral, tighten the low end and give it better extension and punch, bring out better clarity and detail, and also bring out a little more highs. So if there's one headphone I could recommend to anyone looking for warm and smooth yet punchy and with great subbass at an unparalled value it's absolutely the Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads.

https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/porta-pro/

But yes, if you can properly drive the Argons, they are HIGHLY recommended....I prefer them over any Audeze or Sennheiser. STAX is the only thing I prefer over them so far...

Hi, I encountered a few options from ZMF and they seem pretty appealing to me. Namely the Blackwood and Ori. How good is the argon compared to these from zmf? particularly the blackwood...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back