argh, how can I get CMoy + 9V battery in this case?!
Jan 27, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #17 of 33
One nice thing about the hammond cases is that they can be cut shorter with metal saw. I took the Hammond C at 120mm length and fit an amp/battery in the first 95mm, then cut the case to 95mm. 80mm is just a little too tight.

Jan 27, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syzygies
We want a parts list.

Not sure that this was directed at my amp, but if it was it really is just a straight take-off of tangent's MINT Parts List. The mini jacks are the Switchcrafts and the switch is a Mountain Mini SPST. I think that what makes it look so clean is that by using the unibit I can drill the holes precisely enough to eliminate all the stupid washers that come with the pot and the switch. The LED is from Radio Shack and its part number is 276-069

Quote:

Originally Posted by __redruM
One nice thing about the hammond cases is that they can be cut shorter with metal saw.

Now that is a heck of an idea. But do you lose the threaded holes for the screws or are hey threaded all the way down?

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #19 of 33
The holes are not threaded at all... That's why the screw need such a coarse thread. So I've got my hammond C mint:
hammondmint05.jpg
(which I show off at any oportunity)

I would guess that the slide top cases would be more difficult than the small hammond, but certainly possible. The plastic endpiece helps hide any slips.

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #20 of 33
What I really like about the mint is not only being able to mount the boards back to back but also lenghtwise. It's a sweet design.

MINTCASE.jpg
MINTGUTZ.jpg

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

The holes are not threaded at all... That's why the screw need such a coarse thread. So I've got my hammond C mint:
hammondmint05.jpg
(which I show off at any oportunity)

Do you have any pics of the insides of that baby?! Are you running the mint off a 9v supply?

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #22 of 33
It's 9V. It was either 18V or small, I chose small.
hammondmint01.jpg
hammondmint02.jpg

Will yours fit into 80mm with only 9V? Also, Whats the additional circut?

Jan 27, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #23 of 33
As far as I understand it it's not an extra circuit it's just the other half of the MINT board. He chose not to fasten them together, just to run them end to end. He'll have to tell you why he did it that way.

Jan 27, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #24 of 33
Ah... I was wondering how he had so much pannel space! My volume knob sits almost in the middle of the pannel.

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
As far as I understand it it's not an extra circuit it's just the other half of the MINT board. He chose not to fasten them together, just to run them end-to-end. He'll have to tell you why he did it that way.

Yep,It's the opamp and buffer side of the board. I wanted to run it at 18V and still maintain the slim case. It's a little longer than the small hammond but I think I’m going to put a charging circuit into it so I don’t have to take the whole thing apart to change the batteries!
orphsmile.gif

j

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #26 of 33
Why don't you use stripboard?

I will soon finalize my CMoy in a tin of size 57x57x17mm. The 9V battery will fit in. As well as the Alps volume pot.

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by silmaauki

I will soon finalize my CMoy in a tin of size 57x57x17mm. The 9V battery will fit in. As well as the Alps volume pot.

The only alps pot worth using would be "blue velvet" which is a 25mm cube so it's not going to fit in your case. The smaller alps pots perform worse than the Pannasonics, don't take my word for that just do a search and you'll find much more weighty opinions.

Nate

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

One nice thing about the hammond cases is that they can be cut shorter with metal saw. I took the Hammond C at 120mm length and fit an amp/battery in the first 95mm, then cut the case to 95mm. 80mm is just a little too tight.

What tool did you use to make the cut? I can imagine many ways that would work, I'm wondering what would work best.

You've given me the idea of cutting open a section of the lid (Hawaiian Airlines style) to fit the Alps Blue pot into a shortened Hammond J16 case. Hey, as long as I've got the tools out, it isn't as fragile as a tube, why not have it stick out?

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
The only alps pot worth using would be "blue velvet" which is a 25mm cube so it's not going to fit in your case. The smaller alps pots perform worse than the Pannasonics, don't take my word for that just do a search and you'll find much more weighty opinions.

Nate

Blue Velvet will not fit in there. I know. But I did not know that generally Alps smaller ones are rated worse than Panasonic.

On the other hand I have it hard to get any Panasonic in my hands.

Anyway, I can't see the trouble with not using stripboard or custom PCB to fit in the Hammond.

Just my thoughts...

EDIT: Using Blue Velvet in Cmoy? Wouldn't that be overkill?

Jan 28, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by silmaauki
Blue Velvet will not fit in there. I know. But I did not know that generally Alps smaller ones are rated worse than Panasonic. On the other hand I have it hard to get any Panasonic in my hands. Anyway, I can't see the trouble with not using stripboard or custom PCB to fit in the Hammond.
Just my thoughts...
EDIT: Using Blue Velvet in Cmoy? Wouldn't that be overkill?

I have heard it said (by the likes of Tangent, whose opinion on such matters I take very seriously) that the smaller Alps pots track worse than the panasonic pots generally used for the Cmoy and MINT amps. However, if you can't get the part you can't get the part, right?!? Using stripboard (which I'm assuming is similar to protoboard) is fine, except I think the unused copper can tend to degrade over time and cause issues so my choice in building more expensive amps will always be to use a professional board.

And you're 100% correct, using the big alps pot in a small amp like the cmoy would be ridiculous.

N

Users who are viewing this thread

Back