argh - dilemmas!!! - i need help!!
Jul 9, 2007 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kukrisna

100+ Head-Fier
hey all,

so i've ran into a few problems:

1) had to cancel my D2000 order due to financial situations and this stupid backorder (would be out of town without gear to audition them so even if they shipped to my other address i couldnt hear them properly)

2) debating whether or not to keep the K501 - i now own the K701 but the K501 just seems better suited for certain things and sounds more natural/realistic (im not that bothered by its "airy" presentation which i dont feel is that overdone, but those are my ears...) - will continue to burn in - it's so difficult telling the difference between the two all of a sudden and i dont know what it is:

- K701 has 100 hours of pink-noise burn in (which someone said would equate to 300 of music but i dont know if that's true) and the bass/detail retrieval seem to wane in and out - better some times than at others - and it still sounds somewhat artificial - im hoping more burn-in will help...but then i dont know if i should do all-out pink noise since some people said it's not recommended and that i could shorten the life of the drivers - agh!!

- K501 has about 200 of music and 100 of pink noise and for some things i could swear there was no difference between it and the K701 unless you really listen and then even so K501 has an edge for certain things (naturalness for one - to my ears that is, even though many call it unnatural)

3) debating what to do during the two weeks at the end of the summer or when i go back to college - do i get a D2000, D5000, DT880, or an HD650 - one of them will be pitted against my KX01 - dont think i could afford them all to audition - would have to go one by one...but you never know - would also like to try a W5000...and a Heed Canamp...and a Headamp GS-1...agh!

on the plus side lots of my gear has sold so it's helping to recoup my losses of my latest buys

Help!!

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 3
Take it from a fellow Umie from Southwest in the 70's:

You have a rare magic combo with the Presonus Central Station and the 701's.

Make sure you use the active preamp which goes through the AUX input. The Presonus headamp has tons of current as Music Man and Ferbose stated in the main review.

The Presonus headamp is warm and gives the 701's the bass they need. The sonic colorations of this amp work perfectly to offset the deficiencies of the 701.

Jul 10, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 3
go umass

yeah - i actually havent tried out the preamp and i'll just stick with the k701 for now i suppose...thanks for the feedback

still donno whether to keep the K501 or not though =/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back