Are your ears parallel?
Jan 14, 2014 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Superfluous10

New Head-Fier
I may be wrong, but I think most peoples' ears are not parallel but instead angled. Why are most headphone cups parallel? I bought the momentum on ear headphones but I think I'm going to have to return them since my left ear hurts after wearing for a little while since they press on my ears at the wrong angle and these cups even have a bit of swivel. Am I the only one with this issue?

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm not sure that I understand you correctly, but you may find headphones that have cups that swivel vertically and horizontally more comfortable. Many portable, folding headphones do this. You also get headphones with angled drivers or angled Earpads, though that largely seems to be with circum-aural headphones.

I reckon it's not such an issue to most people. Perhaps the Momentums also have more clamp than you'd like, adding to the discomfort.

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't think it's the clamp that's causing issues because if it were angled to my ear, it would be fine. However, it puts too much pressure on the back of my ear that's angled outwards more.

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 6
So I tried the B&O H6 at the Apple store and not only does it fold flat (which is really nice), but the cups also pivot a bit the opposite way to allow for an angle that matches your ear. Unfortunately, they're more than I'd like to spend on a portable headphone. Any similar alternatives?

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 6
Well, look for any flat-folding portables. Perhaps the JVC S500. I don't have many headphones, but you might be able to tell from pictures on some headphone reviews like at Innerfidelity which ones have horizontally-pivoting cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back