Are you using studio monitors?
Jan 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

TheRH

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

As the questions states, are you using studio monitors as computer speakers? If so, what are you running?

RH

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 69
Yes. Am using some JBL Control One bookshelf speakers. I just reinstalled them the other day and was surprised how crispy clean they sound in the treble department at low nearfield leveling volumes and postioning. They dont respond well to loud volume and bass though which is the reason i put them away for about a year using some INSIGNIA bass reflex bookshelfs instead i picked up at Best Buy. Glad i went back to the JBLs especially for night time listening when not in the mood for headphones or the more high volume detailed even when played low INSIGNIAs.

Advantage of the JBLs are their small size so the sound is more focused and contained in my space compared to the INSIGNIAs with their bigger cabinets.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 69
Not a true studio monitor .. but they get the job done.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 69

KRK Rokit RP2 8's

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 69

Quote:
ADAM ARTist 5 + ADAM ARTIST Sub. I need more traps...

LOL.

How much of a difference did the treatments make?

I've been researching them lately and am especially interested in a corner bass trap as my right speaker fires directly into a corner. Not the most ideal placement but it's what I have to work with.  I found a foam factory that sells two 6" corner pieces for $30. I'm wondering if I should give them a try.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 69
I use JBL 4311's and Mackie HR-824's.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 69
yeah i want to know too. My monitors are really close to the wall so wonder if the treatments will work and change something. Someone care to give an explanation on its uses, placement in the room and how it works?

Quote:
LOL.

I've been researching them lately and am especially interested in a corner bass trap as my right speaker fires directly into a corner. Not the most ideal placement but it's what I have to work with.  I found a foam factory that sells two 6" corner pieces for $30. I'm wondering if I should give them a try.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 69

Noticeable difference. Acoustic treatment allows one to hear the true potential of monitors by reducing the frequency anomalies. Absolutely install bass traps in your situation. Preferably in the problem and rear corners.   
Quote:
I've been researching them lately and am especially interested in a corner bass trap as my right speaker fires directly into a corner...I'm wondering if I should give them a try.

It is even more important to treat your walls if your monitors are placed close to the wall. The suppression of first/primary reflections is right up there with bass trapping in importance.  

Quote:
yeah i want to know too. My monitors are really close to the wall...

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 69
Using modified M-Audio BX5's along with modified Tannoy TS10 subwoofer driven by a modified Asus Essense STX. Sound absolutely great. I get well balanced bass down to 16Hz. Needed for playing pipe organ music plus some other music I have. This bass was not possable stock, I D.C. coupled the subs amps as well as removed the subsonic filter & expanded the lowest crossover point from 50Hz to 25Hz. The satelites amps are also modded for D.C. coupling for the open sound that D.C. coupling presents as well as removed the subsonic filter on these as well & bypassed power filter cap with 2-12uf noninductive mylar caps, one for each power supply rail for each satelite speaker. The Essense STX I removed the coupling caps & put wire in thier place as well as bypassed 6 of the powersupply caps with 2uf noninductive malar caps. this opened up the sounf & improved the bass as well. The speakers I'm using are featured in my avatar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back