Are you using studio monitors?
Feb 13, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #31 of 69

Quote:
Using modified M-Audio BX5's along with modified Tannoy TS10 subwoofer driven by a modified Asus Essense STX. Sound absolutely great. I get well balanced bass down to 16Hz. Needed for playing pipe organ music plus some other music I have. This bass was not possable stock, I D.C. coupled the subs amps as well as removed the subsonic filter & expanded the lowest crossover point from 50Hz to 25Hz. The satelites amps are also modded for D.C. coupling for the open sound that D.C. coupling presents as well as removed the subsonic filter on these as well & bypassed power filter cap with 2-12uf noninductive mylar caps, one for each power supply rail for each satelite speaker. The Essense STX I removed the coupling caps & put wire in thier place as well as bypassed 6 of the powersupply caps with 2uf noninductive malar caps. this opened up the sounf & improved the bass as well. The speakers I'm using are featured in my avatar.

germanium,
That sounds like some sufficiently badass modding.  Do you by chance have any pics of the process?
You mentioned your insanely low bass response which piqued my curiosity.  In all seriousness, can you recommend any high-quality music albums (from any genre except country/techno) that have good bass information?  My collection has some okay stuff, but I am always on the lookout for more music.  Check out Jaco Pastorious's self titled album- I'm not sure how low it goes though.
It seems like every day I realize more and more the deficiencies of quality bass in most music.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #32 of 69

Quote:
germanium,
That sounds like some sufficiently badass modding.  Do you by chance have any pics of the process?
You mentioned your insanely low bass response which piqued my curiosity.  In all seriousness, can you recommend any high-quality music albums (from any genre except country/techno) that have good bass information?  My collection has some okay stuff, but I am always on the lookout for more music.  Check out Jaco Pastorious's self titled album- I'm not sure how low it goes though.
It seems like every day I realize more and more the deficiencies of quality bass in most music.

I have the Jaco Pastorius album you mention & there is almost 0 low bass on it. Jaco spends almost all his time in the mid to upper register of his bass guitar. All of Keiko Matsui's music has tons of low bass as well as Chick Corea's To The Stars album. Ronan Hardimans Anthom album has excellent low bass energy as well as much of the Rippington's music. The newer Spyro Gyra albums are good for low bass as well. Will provide pics in the near future.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587297/asus-xonar-hdav1-3-mods/30#post_8118604 As a teaser here in A picture of my STX mod with the 6-2.0uf caps on back side of board

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587297/asus-xonar-hdav1-3-mods/15#post_8057125 This is my pics of the front side of board & backside before bypassing DAC power supply caps. Only analog out is bypassed at this point with 2-2.0uf caps. The other 4-2.0 caps added later & definately improved everything including bass.

Unfortunately I had to use the flash card that these pics were on to install a bootable program on to remove a virus from my girlfriends laptop & the program install deleted my pics off of the flash drive & I haven't saved them to my HDD yet. I know bad me. Unfortunately the virus was rootkitted & actually took a different program to get rid of it. Seems that microsofts antivirus can't remove rootkits, not even from the offline tool that I used with my flash drive to try to remove it.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #33 of 69

Quote:
I have the Jaco Pastorius album you mention & there is almost 0 low bass on it. Jaco spends almost all his time in the mid to upper register of his bass guitar. All of Keiko Matsui's must has tons of low bass as well as Chick Corea's To The Stars album. Ronan Hardimans Anthom album has excellent low bass energy as well as much of the Rippington's music. The newer Spyro Gyra albums are good for low bass as well. Will provide pics in the near future.

Thanks very much!  I look forward to checking out those albums and any pics.

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #34 of 69

Quote:
I have the Jaco Pastorius album you mention & there is almost 0 low bass on it. Jaco spends almost all his time in the mid to upper register of his bass guitar. All of Keiko Matsui's music has tons of low bass as well as Chick Corea's To The Stars album. Ronan Hardimans Anthom album has excellent low bass energy as well as much of the Rippington's music. The newer Spyro Gyra albums are good for low bass as well. Will provide pics in the near future.

Did I read Keiko Matsui?  I love her!  I own at least two of her CDs and have seen her perform live once, she is an excellent performer! :)

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #36 of 69
A pair of KRK RP5's with a fast track pro for like half a year, and I'm fully satisfied with 'em at the moment, although it's only entry level in quality audio.
But I'm happy, and this is the most important 
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #37 of 69
I would not call the entry level, it  is much better than Logitech or any other standard computer speakers. lol. I was going to get the 5's but was not sure of the bass response so I got the 8's. How is the bass on the 8's?

RH

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #38 of 69
Yes.  I use active monitors are my primary listening speakers.  The advantages active vs. passive are myriad.  In essence, my 2.1 system consists of five separate power amplifiers matched to their associated drivers for frequency range, power, efficiency and impedance.  What's there not to like!

My next purchase is a pair of Yamaha MSP5 Studio, and a Focal CMS 2.1 system.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #39 of 69
This pic shows the coupling caps I eliminated & put wire in thier place. Those are the wires shaped like a loop.

This pic though not very clear shows the caps added to the back side of the input/ crossover board. There are four added caps. These caps match the size of the caps on the other sideof the board. These are what gives me the ability to crossover at 25Hz. You also see some wire loops that are taking the place of even more coupling caps & there is a wire jumper bypassing the subsonic filter. All these mods are rather easy to do & they accomplish what I needed to expand the low frequency range downward to as low as 16Hz. Sorry about the blurriness. I put the sub back together befor I realized how bad it was. It didn't look quite that bad in the preview screen on the camera.

I chose 25Hz as a crossover point as I could use it as an EQ as well to compensate for the 12db/oct rolloff of the bass driver below it's resonant frequency. Note that the crossover is also 12db/oct so by cossing over below the resonant frequency of the driver system I end up with essentially flat response from the crossover frequency to the resonant frequency the a rapid 12db/oct rolloff above the resonant frequeny. This provides the nessessary EQ to get nearly flat response to 16Hz.The rsonant frequency is about 40 Hz, right where my satelites start losing it rapidly though they are pretty strong down to that point in my room.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #40 of 69

Quote:
I would not call the entry level, it  is much better than Logitech or any other standard computer speakers. lol. I was going to get the 5's but was not sure of the bass response so I got the 8's. How is the bass on the 8's?

RH

You mean the 5's? Because all I can speak about is that 
tongue_smile.gif

Let's say I wouldn't call it overwhelming. And I'm sure that there are some higher priced monitors which give you more accuracy in the bass department, and lower frequencies of course. But considering it's a 5 inch one, I think it's OK in quality and quantity. And if you look at the price/value ratio, it's even better
biggrin.gif
. That's why I decided to go with KRK's. But again, I always have a smile on my face when listening to them, even it's a 24-96 Clapton, or a 128k netradio, so it's hard to speak about the weaknesses, if there are any. And my room is not big enough to have bigger speakers. They are far from maxed out now.
I was on a tight budget when I bought them, so I've never really thought about the 8's. The real decision was between the 6's and the 5's. And when we did an A/B comparison in the showroom, on lower volumes the 5's just had more liveliness to my ears. So, that's how I pulled the trigger on them.

And of course they are better than any Logitech (although I'm not up to date with Logitech's product line), but I would consider Logitech (or any other similar brand) as consumer category, that's what I meant.
I had a cheapo Creative 2.1 before, and it wasn't bad at all. But oh my God, this setup what I have now it's a whole different league, I'm sure you know this feeling (of course you know with the stuff you have
biggrin.gif
).
It's entry level in pro audio gear, let's put it this way.

Greets from Hungary!
Ervin

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #43 of 69
Yep. I used to use Alesis M1 actives, but just upgraded to the Sonodyne SM100AK's, which will be used as my nearfield active monitors for.... well, hopefully a long time to come :)

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #45 of 69
When I have a bigger room and a pot of $$ burning a hole in my pocket, I'd like a pair of these for my living room, the Focals Twin6 Be, as part of an audiophile three-box (i.e. source + dac + active monitor) system.

400W under the hood!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back