Are you the destroyer of threads?
Jul 20, 2006 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

chia-pet

100+ Head-Fier
I've always wondered:

On forums like this one, at what point does a thread die (stop getting new replies)? Who is the last individual to post on that thread, and is their post the single reason why the thread stopped getting replies?

Is there any way we can tally how many times a member is the last poster on a thread before it doesn't ever get a response again?

It could be for any number of reasons a thread gets no more responses; the last poster has comprehensively answered the thread, the thread has been discussed out, time has simply taken its toll on the thread, or maybe the last poster has posted something uninspiring that has killed everyone's mood.

How many times have you been the last poster in a thread? And... are you the destroyer of threads?

Jul 20, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 48
The last poster is not necessarily a destroyer of threads, he just has to have the last word.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 48
I slay this thread.

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 48
Thank God for your replies. For a second there I was afraid I had done the very rare feat of destroying this thread with its opening post.

But really, is there any correlation with specific people posting the last comment and the thread dying? And if so, what is it about their post that kills a thread?

ARGH once again I have become the fatal last post. Please, someone! Please rescue me, for I do not want... to be... the destroyer of threads!

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 48
*generic inane and unnessessary comment with poor spelling bad grammar and absent punctuation inviting flamewar or thread lock*

Jul 20, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
I think this might be me. For some reason a hell of a lot of the things I post get no response from anyone.

You won't be the last poster of this thread
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
I think this might be me. For some reason a hell of a lot of the things I post get no response from anyone.

No, it's me. It's happened to me numerous times. I think sometimes its just coming in after everyone has had their say, but many times I post something only to see it sink w/o even a comment. Not just on this board, either.

Ah well, such is life. At least, my life anyway.

Jul 20, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 48
It's not really trolling, it's just an interesting question. My post count would be significantly higher if I was trolling no? An example would be you Enverxis, who is trolling by writing:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Trolling is fun.

See by writing this, you are elicting an inane defensive response from me about your troll accusation. And in doing so, it is you who is in fact the troll. Not to mention your post count is many times mine, for having joined head-fi over a year later.
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally, I think I've been responsible for the destruction of various threads, but I don't think I'm usually the last post. My comments seem to elicit one or two more responses, followed by thread destruction. If anything, I'm the thread destroying assister.

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #14 of 48
This is a horrible disservice to the thread starter. a poster makes a side comment. Next guy picks up the comment and runs with it. Thread degenerates into a bunch of guys turning it into a chat room. It is really up to the starter to keep the thread going. He must be the moderator.

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #15 of 48
I've definitely killed quite a few threads. With Bose Hitler.

hitlerbose.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back