Are you supposed to use the foam covers with the stock iPod earbuds?
May 17, 2006 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mshan

1000+ Head-Fier
Reason I ask is that everything sounds rather muffled with them on.

Also aren't that comfortable and sound kinda lean "naked."

What do others think and how do they use their stock iPod earbuds?

May 17, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 17
Firstly, imo the stock buds aren't worth keeping

Second, with that style (I have senn MX500's), I find foam covers help them stay on in my ear...the foam sort of 'grips'...if you get me. But I've moved on to IEMs and on-head phones, as I can't have phones that keep falling out

My ears though. I'm amazed when I see ppl on the bus and their stock iPod buds don't fall out
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 17
I'm using Koss KSC-75 (volume control version) and they've very good but they always seem slightly dark.

How do those Sennheiser earbuds sound (which iPod are you using)? Based on memory, the stock earbuds with foam covers on them sound like very unrefined Sennheiser PX100.

May 17, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 17
I think most people on head-fi will dump the ibuds and get something else instead.

May 17, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 17
Sorry I was just talking ergonomics...didn't think we'd discuss SQ and iPod stocks in the same sentence
icon10.gif

I've tried MX500 on mate's 5G (she uses stocks), and they sound slightly more clearer, with a little more bass. Bare in mind at 15quid ($15?) don't expect miracles

May 17, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan
Are you supposed to use the foam covers with the stock iPod earbuds?

are you supposed to use THAT earphones?
tongue.gif

May 17, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 17
the foam covers help them stay in your ear (since the ibuds are pretty small) and by having a better fit, you also get the best sound possible from your earbuds.

May 17, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 17
I think the only thing touching the ibuds is the top of my sledgehammer as I scream out: "I AM THE MIGHTY THOR!".

May 18, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 17
As far as earbud headphones go (not IEMs) I've found the iBuds to be just as good as anyother earbud. I've tried the MX400, MX500, MX550 and lots of Sony earbuds (not the E888s though). The thing is, earbuds just don't seem to sound very good (maybe my ear canal is shaped in a sub-optimal shape for earbuds...). Now before I'm flamed, IEMs, open fullsized, closed, etc... all blow the iBuds away. They also blow all ear buds away, earbuds are what this criticism is about.

I think people discriminate against iBuds since they are pack-ins and people ignorant about headphones tend to be fond of them. Personally, the only thing I have against iBuds is they are a bit too flashy (they just advertise you're listening to an iPod).

There has been alot of praise over the Sony E888s, but I have not heard them. They may be the holy grail of earbuds (I'd hope so with their price). But I did not find any of the Senn MX earbuds to be worth their price when I had a pair of iBuds that sounded just as good.

May 18, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I think the only thing touching the ibuds is the top of my sledgehammer as I scream out: "I AM THE MIGHTY THOR!".

HAHA, that's great...but doesn't Thor have thunder??
blink.gif

May 18, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli

Mayhaps a new head-fi initiation ritual should be to film yourself destroying your ibuds in a creative fashion and posting it up here.

And yes, the foam is for gripping onto your ears, as well as preventing wax.

May 18, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #14 of 17
You could always punch a small hole in the foam covers to unleash some of the muffled sound, without sacrificing much ergonomic comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back