Are you Nihilistic?
Aug 7, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #46 of 58
if life has no meaning or purpose, doesn't that grant you ultimate freedom? For if your life has meaning and purpose, then are you not destined for certain things (good and bad)? Nihilism and the meaningless life seems to grant more freedom than anything else (based on the last few posts here).

Must be scary though if you don't have meaning in life, because then you might feel like its a waste, but your free so cheer up. Nihilists should be the happiest SOB's alive.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #47 of 58
Donny: Are these the Nazis, Walter?
Walter Sobchak: No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of.

3nihilistslarge.jpg

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if life has no meaning or purpose, doesn't that grant you ultimate freedom?

I think some people just prefer to wallow in their own despair.

To see the world as how it truly is, it's a gift that few can ever know. You can either allow yourself to fall under the weight of it, or take advantage and turn yourself into a god among men. Why not trade the fears, insecurities, and evils that the status quo condemns the damned to for strength, knowledge, and power? For a man who's died over and over inside, waiting for an end that would never come, the truth can be a devastating weapon.

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and turn yourself into a god among men.

Only in your own mind, I think, or maybe it only happens in Frank Herbert novels.
tongue.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #51 of 58
^ Isn't that enough? If you believe you can manipulate the world around you, then... you often will. (I'm not talking turning cars into ice cream, but you get my drift)

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Isn't that enough? If you believe you can manipulate the world around you, then... you often will. (I'm not talking turning cars into ice cream, but you get my drift)

I mowed the yard this evening. Does that count as manipulation?

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #53 of 58
Yes. You forced the grass to bend to your (mower's) will.

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #54 of 58
Thank you for the Big Lebowski pics!
smily_headphones1.gif

Meaningless existence is absolutely no call for despair. Have a few drinks and some fun with your friends while you still can. Self-reflection is only a path to misery, so make the best of things. You never know when it will be over.

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #55 of 58
I don't care.

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the Big Lebowski pics!
smily_headphones1.gif

Meaningless existence is absolutely no call for despair. Have a few drinks and some fun with your friends while you still can. Self-reflection is only a path to misery, so make the best of things. You never know when it will be over.

Funny, but that's exactly how David Hume resolves the impasse of radical scepticism at the conclusion of his First Book of A Treatise of Human Nature: 'Git the hell out of your fuggly room and go play some pool [billiards] at the bar [Gentleman's Club].

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ares /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care.

Now as the night began to fall
A hungry lion paid a call
He looked Pierre right in the eye
And asked him if he'd like to die
Pierre said-I don't care!
-I can eat you, don't you see?
-I don't care!
-And you will be inside of me
-I don't care!
-Then you will never have to bother--
-I don't care!
-With a mother and a father
-I don't care!
-Is that all you have to say?
-I don't care!
-Then I'll eat you, if I may
-I don't care!
So the lion ate Pierre

Arriving home at six o'clock
His parents had a dreadful shock!
They found the lion sick in bed and cried
-Pierre is surely dead!
They pulled the lion by the hair
They hit him with the folding chair
His mother asked-Where is Pierre?
The lion answered-I don't care!
His father said-Pierre's in there!

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #58 of 58
In my opinion, if you are thinking this hard about it and trying to put a name to it, you aren't truly nihilistic. Clearly, you are still searching for some answer/reason/meaning. Even if it is simply to say there is none and commiserate with others on this philosophy.

Fight Club is a great book. But Tyler Durden's philosophies, while sometimes very wise in his observations, did not hold up. If you read the book, I think it ends a bit differently from the movie but it's been a while since I've seen it, his way of thinking eventually did him (well, the other him) in. Or I should say, following any ideal to it's most extreme end, will rarely do you any good.

I think it's more practical to say that you will not always find meaning in everything than that there is no meaning at all. The belief that your ability to discern one determines whether or not something has meaning is, bluntly, plain ego-centric. But also completely human.

Sorry if that seemed a little harsh, I'm not always best with wording things in a non-offensive way. Wasn't intended to be condescending though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back