are you faithful to your phones?
Aug 14, 2004 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

h3nG

100+ Head-Fier
i hope i am only like this with headphones...

but i notice my preference for phones changes weekly/monthly/daily depending on my mood and what i am used to. like i cant really say, i always prefer the grados for rock. there has been time where i felt my senns rocked pretty hard. well maybe not hard, but better 'sounding' than my grados. while most of the time i would prefer the grados. also vice versa for classical music.

and i remembered listening to the cd3000 at a meet for the first time, and thinking that it was the best sounding phones i've ever heard. but only to be disappointed the next time i heard it again. because i was so into the sennheiser sound. but now i am graving for some cd3000 sound.

anyone else like this? i really dont want to own multiple headphones. it's nice on days where i can say..."ok gotta go for that laid back sound". but on somedays i cant decide which sound i want. plus it's not wallet friendly.

i know there are a few members here who are really royal to their phones (sov?
3000smile.gif
) and have established their preference quite well.

but anyone else like me? i feel like getting rid of one of my phones (hd600 or sr325). or maybe pick up a hybrid. so i dont have to decide, and maybe save some money too. also i am waiting on glassman's diamond buffers, so i'll probably have that a week after he gets back. what do you think?

Aug 14, 2004 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 42
Yup I'm like that although I only have the HD280 and the Alessandro MS-1. Put it this way; Even when considering a single genre of music, I have preferences between the HD280 and the MS-1. Most of the time, the MS-1 is the better phone for Jazz but on some recordings, the trumpet sounds too irritating and then I put on the HD280 and then it all sounds great.

Just another excuse to buy a whole range of headphones.
eggosmile.gif
There'll always be one phone which works for some music type, some mood or some time! Besides, it's my opinion that we shouldn't stick to one headphone even for one specific type of music. It prevents you from getting too used to one type of sound.

By the way, I've heard that the DT880 is a phone which has a balance of Grado punch and Sennheiser smoothness.

Aug 14, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea Bag
By the way, I've heard that the DT880 is a phone which has a balance of Grado punch and Sennheiser smoothness.

I was just going to say something to that effect.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 42
Let's just say when it comes to headphones, I am a polygmist.
evil_smiley.gif

DT880, I don't know, it's like a mixed bag. It's definitely not fatiguing, not fatiguing at all. Even the HD600 is more fatiguing when compared against the DT880. Like many other people have said before, DT880 is on the dry side, not as engaging as HD600, if HD600 can ever be said to be engaging.

Aug 14, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 42
My main set of phones have been the HD650's, since I purchased them about 6 months ago. I've tried other phones but the Senn's still remain.

Aug 14, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 42
I am only faithful to my HD25. All the other headphones were never able to stay longer than a month or two.

Aug 14, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 42
I cheat like a mofo... I was faithful to my K240S for a while... then bought the DT880s and paid less and less attention to them. Then I got my headphone amp and went BACK to the K240S. And now I have the DT531... not sure about where they stand yet.

Aug 14, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
I cheat like a mofo... I was faithful to my K240S for a while... then bought the DT880s and paid less and less attention to them. Then I got my headphone amp and went BACK to the K240S. And now I have the DT531... not sure about where they stand yet.

I can help you out. Sell me your MS-2's and at least you won't have to feel bad about the lack of attention they seem to be getting.

Aug 14, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 42
I am taking my 325s to my grave and I have no plans on going there soon.

The 325's were my first, i was a virgin to headfi and high-end audio until that day I dumped the 280's and met my love at gils custom house.
from that day on my ears have never been the same.

sure there were others, but the 325's know I will always come home to them in the end.

Aug 14, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
nope, i owned 17 headphones, i sold them all. i missed a few and will buy them again though.

wow that's a little excessive...

in anycase...i definitely dont want to be heading down that road. it seems like there's a good split between those who own multiple and those who are royal head-fiers. i think once i complete my ppa, i am going to get rid of either the sr325 or the hd600. should i add the a900 or the cd3000 into the picture to make things a little tougher?

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
I am taking my 325s to my grave and I have no plans on going there soon.

The 325's were my first, i was a virgin to headfi and high-end audio until that day I dumped the 280's and met my love at gils custom house.
from that day on my ears have never been the same.

sure there were others, but the 325's know I will always come home to them in the end.

Well, your sig shows that you have something waaaay better than those 325's
biggrin.gif
You know... those PS-1's hooked up to that HR-2, not bad at all
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
I've been changing a lot of cans, like every two months. That until I mod my K340 months ago. Now, we're engaged in a long term love relationship
redface.gif

I think that is how I feel about the RS-1's. Where as the HP-1's are my mistress who I just can say no to
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back